Lily Baby.

Chapter 22

Frankie’s POV

I woke up with the diary open on my chest and with my neck aching like hell. I eased myself up and moaned as I realised the pain didn’t seem to be going away any time soon.

My bones creaked as I climbed out of my bed. I enjoyed the time I had before reality hit and I had to face the truth. My mind strayed back to my dreams and I shuddered. Some things are too hard to think of. I threw the diary under my bed, knowing my curiosity would get the better of itself eventually.

I washed and dressed in record time and ran down the stairs to greet my groggy mother, “Hi,” I said quickly, gratefully receiving a piece of toast in the process. I kissed her on the cheek, “Bye.”

I sped out the front door and ran down the street to the corner where I waited for the Way’s.

You could hear them coming from a mile off. Mikey was playing Tetris on his phone and all you could hear was ‘doo doo doo’ coming from his phone.

Quinn was talking softly to himself; God knows what about. I’ve said it before. He’s a weird guy.

Gerard and Bert were having an extremely loud conversation about Superman versus Spiderman and which one would win in an epic battle.

And, finally, Lily was singing ‘Twinkle Twinkle Little Star’ at the top of her lungs as she danced down the street gracefully.

I smiled, guiltily as she jogged up to me, stopping a few feet away.

“You never came,” she said, frowning.

“What?” I asked, confused.

“You never came to see me, like you said. I had a really good hiding place too.”

“Oh, sorry, I couldn’t, I got ugh… held up.”

“Humph,” she said, before replacing her frown with her smile, and placing her hand in mine, “S’okay.”

She’s so sweet. I don’t deserve her kindness; I make myself sick… I could have killed her…

I nodded. Speaking was no longer an option for me, due to the fact that I felt like throwing up in her presence. Every time I looked at her face I immediately remembered her face in the dream.

Every time I saw her dancing gracefully, her hair swaying in the wind, a beatific smile plastered on her face, I immediately remembered how she looked under that car…

My hands shook under her smooth grip and I gritted my teeth anxiously, sharp stabbing pains shot through my stomach.

“Ugh…” I moaned, causing her to look up curiously.

“What?” she asked.

“I don’t feel too… too…” Okay, I’m gonna throw up.

Luckily, we happened to be passing a bush that didn’t seem to hold much importance so I turned and retched up my piece of toast.

Hello toast.

Lily wrinkled her nose at the smell, rubbing my back soothingly and making humming sounds as she crouched down on the pavement beside where I leant on all fours.

“Oh my God…” began Bert, “Frankie’s blowing chunks!”

“Shut up!” cried Lily, earning an “Oooh, Lily’s grown a pair,” from Bert, before commencing with the soothing sounds. She ran her soft fingers through my messy hair, “Done?”

I nodded nervously watching as she revealed a pack of tissues from her bag and wiping my face with it. She placed a loving kiss on my temple when she was done and helped me up slowly. I kept falling forwards when she pulled me up, grabbing at her skinny hips for support, my thumbs digging hard into her pelvis. She groaned. I realised my grip was causing her pain. I keep causing her pain, for God’s sake. I mentally slapped myself.

“Come on,” she muttered, soothingly, pulling me up slowly. I was obviously a mess; my shaking fingers could barely hold anything let alone her hand. Whenever I put pressure on my limbs, they immediately gave way.

I only just got to school on time but when I did get there I spent the whole morning (under the nurse’s orders, I’ll have you know) asleep under the myspace tree with Lily lying next to me. She seemed to be the only one out of Gerard, Mikey, Bert, Quinn and herself that the nurse seemed to trust with looking after me.

So, she led me out onto the playing field and pushed me down under the myspace tree.

“Wait here.” I nodded, I couldn’t go anywhere and she knew it.

She returned minutes later with Michelle who helped her carry pillows and a bucket.

“Are you okay, Frankie?” asked Michelle, anxiously.

I looked up at her as if to say, ‘Well what do you think?’

She smiled and said, “Right, Lily, if he gets worse, come and get me or the nurse.”

Lily nodded, turning slightly red. I didn’t like the way Michelle had said that, like she really was stupid. But I did nothing.

I didn’t relax until the sound of Michelle’s clicky-clacky shoes were far away.

I took a deep breath and smiled at Lily who set about arranging pillows under my head. She delicately placed the bucket near my head and propped me up against the trunk of the myspace tree. I wriggled, in an effort to make myself more comfortable.

“Why are you sick, Frankie?” she asked, but I just shook my head as images of the 9 year old Lily crept into my head again. But this time, the image changed. It showed the Lily I knew under the car and I grabbed the bucket and threw up again. Surely, you need food in your body to be able to throw stuff up again?

She sighed, rubbing circles on my back again, “It’s okay…”

“No… no,” I muttered, shaking my head, “It’s not okay, Lily, it’s not!”

“Okay…” she whispered, staring down at her feet.

She opened her bag and rummaged inside, before handing me a bottle of water. I almost refused it but she held it by my mouth until I opened up and she tipped the cool liquid into my mouth, gently, rubbing my forehead. I don’t know how she got so good at this.

“I’m sorry, Lily…” I murmured; she smiled and pressed her lips against mine gently before pulling away.

“Why?” she asked, confused.

“I hurt you… I’m the reason why… why…” tears rolled down my cheeks but she wiped them away before they fell too far.

“Stop.”

“Huh?”

“Just… stop…” she whispered, pressing my head back against the pillow, “and sleep…”

She stroked my eyes closed and began to hum a lullaby. I had no idea what it was; even though I knew I’d heard it somewhere before; on the radio probably, but before I knew it, I was fast asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?
Too lazy to update yesterday, was revising.
Ha, cheer me up someone?

Too lazy to proof read, sorry.