Hidden

Lunchtime

I watch her. She's so fascinating to me. So different from the rest of the people in the school.

It was lunch. I was sitting at a crowded table, watching her.

She was at a table with two other girls and three boys. One girl was practically in the lap of one of the boys, and my girl seemed to avert her eyes from the couple; the other girl was engrossed in a thick book. One boy was staring at my girl, and the other was eating part of a cookie.

She smiled embarassedly. "Why are you staring at me?" I couldn't really hear her, but I could read her lips.

He just shook his head, never taking his eyes off her.

The girl that was with the boy slapped her hand over my girl's eyes. My girl immediately grabbed her wrist and pulled her arm away from her face. It looked like the girl was saying something, but her back was turned toward me; it made my girl laugh though.

My girl threw nervous glances at the boy that was staring at her, and then would quickly look away at something else; usually out the window, towards the bleak sky.

It was obvious that it disturbed her, being stared at. I glanced away, slightly ashamed.

I got up and left, ignoring the teacher and going up the stairs. I entered a large class that had a subsitute teacher, and sat down discreetly.

Blending in was my specialty; it was the way I survived.