Sequel: Hearts So Pure

A New Beginning

Fifteen

I looked down at my phone, a had a text from Garrett.
Garrett: :/

I knew he meant the bars on my window. No sneaking in or out tonight.
I’ll see you tomorrow, at school? I said back. I completely forgot about school. But it was different, I didn’t have him for any classes and I only saw him at lunch- we were never alone.

Eventually I fell asleep and when I woke up to take a shower, I heard someone in the kitchen. My mom should have already been gone off to work, and my Dad wasn’t supposed to be up yet. Still in my pajamas, I walked to the kitchen. Then there, making eggs like he lived there, was Brandon. He was wearing basketball shorts and no shirt. He turned around when I walked in, and smiled at me. “Leah,” he said, “Want some eggs?” He was smiling like nothing happened, like we were still dating. “No,” I snapped. “I don’t want any eggs. I want you to leave.” He laughed, moving the spatula around in the pan. “Your Dad said I could stay over last night,” he said. “I was in no shape to drive all the way home. So I stayed, and I’m here, making eggs.” And he laughed, like it was funny. Pissed off, I walked back to my room and grabbed a towel. Then I took a shower. When I started walking off to school, he was still in the kitchen, eating his stupid eggs.

School was normal, at lunch I met Garrett and Pat in the parking lot, as usual. I told Garrett about Brandon, and he was mad. “Can’t drive my ass!” He said in the car. We all laughed, and soon we were at John’s. When we got there, there was someone new. At first I didn’t notice her, she was sitting right next to John, not speaking, while everyone was moving around and talking. I sat on the couch, my usual spot, eating my burger, and practice started. I saw John whisper in that girl’s ear, and she looked over to me, then back at him. Then she got up and sat down next to me. “Hey,” she said. “Hey.” I said back. She seemed a little shy, and I assumed John sent her over for a reason, so I tried to make conversation. “I’m Leah,” I said, smiling. Her face brightened, and she said softly, “I’m Nicole.” “So how do you know John?” I said.

By the time practice was over, I learned that Nicole was John’s “friend.” She told me that she had met him a while back, and that they started hanging out more recently. When I asked her if they were dating, she blushed and shook her head. It was only a matter of time, I thought.

Later, after school, Garrett told me he’d walk me home. It was really cold, probably colder than it should have been, and when I folded my arms under my armpits, Garrett took his hoodie off and offered it to me. I took it gratefully, and when I slid it on, I could smell him. We kept walking in silence, and after a while I felt his hand slip into mine. I looked at him, and he squeezed my hand, smiling.

When we were close to my house, I stopped. “My Dad could probably see you through the window, and I don’t think he’ll like the idea of you walking me home.” I said, looking down. “Hey,” he whispered, “I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?” And he smiled this little half smile. Then I looked up, and he gave me a soft peck on the lips. I laughed, and grabbed both of his arms, leaning into him. I tried to kiss him, I pulled him closer to me, but he pulled away. “Leah,” he whispered. “Tonight, come to my house, okay?” “What?” I said, as he pulled away. “My dad won’t let me. Garrett, you know I can’t,” but he was already walking away, across the street, winking at me. A little annoyed, but mostly curious, I walked up to my front door. I got in, and there was Brandon, on my couch. Eating my chips. He smiled when he saw me. “You haven’t left yet?” I said. He smiled and got up, walking towards me. He got really close, and I could smell the saltiness from the chips on his breath. “Ugh,” I said. “Get away from me.” His hands traveled down my back, and his lips were whispering in my ear, “I missed you.” I tried to push him away, but he pulled me closer. He started kissing my neck, his hands going lower and lower. Then he pulled away, looking at my sweater. It was the one Garrett let me borrow. “Is this his sweater?” Brandon said, raising his voice. He grabbed the sweater violently and twisted it, bringing me closer to him again. “I didn’t say you could wear that asshole’s clothes..” he breathed into my ear through clenched teeth. I tried to struggle free, but then I heard someone jamming a key in the front door, turning the lock. He immediately let go, and I stammered backwards, and my Dad walked through the front door. He was smiling, ignoring me. “Brandon,” he said. “You ready? I bought some beers for us. I know you’re still a senior, but you don’t be driving, and you’re responsible, right? You have your stuff? Let’s go, son.” He had a six pack in his hands, and his keys in the other. “Yeah,” Brandon said. “I just need to talk to Leah really quick. I’ll meet you in the car.” My Dad smiled, then looked at me. He nodded, and soon we were alone again in my living room. Brandon came closer to me, but this time I didn’t let him touch me. “You can’t talk to that asshole, Leah,” he said. I didn’t reply, maybe he would leave faster if I just let him get it all out. “He doesn’t love you like I do. Who’s here with you? Not him. That should show you who really cares about you.” he said. I wanted to scream. If it wasn’t for Brandon, Garrett WOULD be here right now. I gave him a blank look. Then I walked towards him. I put my both of my hands on his shoulders, and gave him the best puppy dog look I could. He smiled. I leaned in to whisper in his ear. He smiled, and he was getting excited. Then, slowly, and quietly, I whispered, “Go fuck yourself.” And as fast as I could, I brought up one knee between his legs and kneed him in the balls. He stumbled back, and fell to the ground. “You bitch!” he said. I laughed, “That’s for Garrett.” Then I walked to my room. I looked at my window, and after a couple minutes, I saw him walk out of the door and they were gone.

I knew my dad would be gone for a couple hours. It was a 5 hour drive. Why he was doing this at night I didn’t know. He would probably stay at a motel or something. I was thinking about whether Garrett should come here or whether I should go to him, when I heard the front door open. Then I heard my mom call from the kitchen a couple seconds later. “Leah? Honey? I’m home. I brought take out.” My mom was always the nicer one. I’m sure my Dad told her about what happened, but I heard she was a wild child during her high school years and I doubt she would care if I ditched once? I walked to the kitchen, with a big smile on my face. I went over to her and gave her a big hug. “Mom, that sounds really great, but we’re having a pizza party for my calculus class today at seven at that restaurant down the street. I forgot to tell you. Can I go?” My mom looked at me and sighed. “Leah, your dad told me what happened. I don’t know if it’s okay for you to leave.” I sighed too, and said, “But mom, please? It’s for school! I get extra credit if I go.” My mom was very much into me getting good grades, and that seemed to do it. She smiled a very small smile, and said, “Alright honey, but be back at ten.” I smiled, and gave her a kiss on the cheek. “Love you, mom!” I said, as I walked out the front door, and across the street.

I got to Garrett’s window. His curtains were parted a bit, and I could see his silhouette on his bed. He was watching tv. I knocked twice, quietly. He got up and came to the window. He opened it and said. “Leah, just ring the doorbell. My mom’s been wanting to see you, and I thought it would be cool if we could go to John’s tonight. He’s having some get together or something.” I nodded, and walked to his front door. I rang the doorbell, and his mom answered. When she saw me, she smiled this really big smile, and hugged me. I was a bit surprised, but I hugged her right back. “Leah, sweetie!” she said. “Oh I’m so glad to see you again. Garrett’s been talking about you nonstop. Is that his sweater? Oh, I wish he would have given you a nicer one.” I looked down at it. It was dark green and a bit worn, but that gave it character, right? “Oh no,” I said, “It’s perfect.” She smiled, a little disappointed, “He’s in his room. If you need anything, just ask.” I nodded, and soon I was at his door. He was putting on his coat. “You ready?” he said. “Yeah.” I said, smiling. I could barely see him, the only light around was coming from the tv, but I could tell his hair was still messy as ever, and his shirt said something about killing zombies. He grabbed my hand, “Let’s go,” he said.

We drove to John’s house, and we could see Kenny’s car in the driveway. “I guess everyone’s already here,” Garrett said. When we walked in, it was the same as usual. John and Jared were arguing about the previous game of pool, Kennedy was watching something on TV, and Pat was on his laptop, scrolling endlessly. Everyone told us hey when we came in, and when we took a seat on the couch, John spoke up. “Guys,” he said. “I just wanted you to know that I invited Nicole over. She should be here in a few. So don’t freak out.” Kennedy laughed, not looking up from the tv. Pat let out an “oooohhh” sound. Garrett whispered something to me about Nicole being John’s new something, but I couldn’t hear because Jared was back at it, yelling at John about pool again.

The doorbell rang and John went to get it. Everyone was quiet. Before he opened the door, he said, “Come on! Act natural!” We all laughed, like it was something we’d been doing all our lives, of course we’d act natural. He opened the door and Nicole walked in. She was smiling nervously. I guess that’s how I looked when I first started hanging out with them. “Hey guys,” she said. Everyone each let out a “‘sup” and it was back to normal.

A couple hours later, Pat was watching videos on his laptop, Kennedy was fast asleep on the couch, Jared was making some tacos at Pat’s request in the kitchen, and John had long ago went in the backyard with Nicole. Me and Garrett walked outside to the front yard. We sat on the back of his car. “So about that girl,” I said. “Is she with John?” Garrett laughed. “John’s been trying to get with her since he met her at the beginning of the summer. She moved here a couple weeks before you did. He tried so hard, I remember, to work up the nerve to even speak to her, and I guess he finally did it.” We both laughed. I had to admit, they looked cute when John took her hand and let her to the backyard earlier. I think I saw her blush. We heard the gate opening, and Garrett looked at me and put his finger to his lips. We both jumped off his car, and crouched down. We watched as John and Nicole came out from the backyard, hand in hand. He said something to her, what he said I couldn’t hear, and she laughed and looked down. “Come on, dude!” Garrett whispered. I turned to shush him, and when I turned back around, John and Nicole were kissing. Garrett laughed, and I playfully elbowed him. “They’ll hear us!” I whispered. “So?” He said, and all at once he slid a hand around my back and leaned me back against the concrete. He leaned down and kissed my neck softly, working his way up to my lips. He gave me a quick peck at first, then he just looked at me. “Stay with me tonight,” he said, and I put one hand in his hair and pulled his face to mine.

When we got back inside, John had already told Nicole goodnight. Everyone asked what happened, but he insisted nothing did. Me and Garrett looked at each other and laughed, knowing exactly what happened.