Sequel: Hearts So Pure

A New Beginning

Three

Garrett scrambled up, and so did I. I answered the phone, trying to fake a sense of calmness. “Hey, Brandon. What’s up?” I said, heart pounding. Garrett looked at me, confused. He squinted, and I could tell he was thinking hard. “Hey, I drove in to town to surprise you! Your mom told me where you lived, where are you?” Brandon said. I froze. I looked at the floor, then back at Garrett. He was studying my face, looking for any explanation. “Oh, that’s great! I just went for a walk, I’ll be there in a minute.” I hung up, and faced Garrett. “Who was that?” he asked calmly. I looked at Garrett, standing there in the darkness, barely visible. His shirt was out of place from earlier. His hair was messy, from when I ran my fingers through it only seconds before. His eyes searched mine, and I said, honestly, “my boyfriend.” Immediately his expression changed. He looked confused, then angry. “What?” His voice was raised. He ran his fingers through his hair. “You mean to tell me… all this time…” and he trailed off. I didn’t know what to say. “I’m sorry,” I whispered. I climbed out and started walking towards the road. I picked up the pace. Soon, I was running. I thought I heard him behind me, chasing me, of course. How could I be so stupid? How did I let it get this far? Only two days in, and I was already getting into trouble? I decided I better tell him that there was nothing between us, and that he shouldn’t get the wrong impression. I stopped and turned around, expecting to see him running right behind me. But he wasn’t. He never had. His car was still parked where he left it. The only person outside was me. I slowly and quietly walked back to the entrance of the ditch. I climbed down, not really knowing what I was doing, and there he was. In the same spot that I left him in. “Listen,” I said. “I’m really sorry. It’s just that it happened so fast, and it’s a new town and I’ve had a lot on my plate and it’s just really stressful and…” and I stopped. I couldn’t say much more. He turned to me and for a second it looked like he was ready to say something. He opened his mouth, as if to ask, “But why would you lead me on like that?” But he didn’t say anything. He placed his hands in his front pockets and looked down. Then, slowly, he walked out. A couple seconds later, I heard his engine start. Now I was the one left in the ditch. I waited a couple minutes, to be sure he was gone, and then got out. When I did, there was no sign of life anywhere. I started the walk home.

When I opened the front door to my house, I saw Brandon standing in the kitchen. He was helping my mom cook. He turned around and when he saw me, his face lit up. I felt good, too. It was nice to see a familiar face. He rushed over to me. He hugged me, and whispered in my ear, so my mom wouldn’t hear, “I missed you so much. I love you.” I felt chills run down my spine. Not because of what he said, but because of earlier. I felt guilty about Garrett. I let go and smiled at him. “Ditto,” I managed to say. We walked back to the kitchen and everything was pretty normal. It felt like I was back at my old town, on a regular Friday night. We joked and talked about my old friends. He told me how he had applied for a few colleges, even though it was still September, he wanted to plan ahead. We ate dinner with my mom and dad, and of course, because they love him, it went smoothly. Completely comfortable. Routine, even.

After dinner, my mom told Brandon that he could stay at our house for the night. “I wouldn’t want to bother you, I was probably gonna crash at some motel.” Brandon said easily, ready to stay anyway. “Oh honey, of course not!” my mom bellowed. “You can sleep on the couch. I’m sure Leah would love for you to stay.” Everyone looked back at me. I forced a smile. “Mhmm.” I said. “It’s settled then,” my mom said. It’s not like I didn’t want him to stay, but then again….

My mind went back to Garrett. And how I somehow knew that he hadn’t taken anyone to that spot before. I thought about the darkness, and his hand on my hip, and the carefree feeling I had. Mindlessly, I walked back to my room. I turned the lights off, and pulled off my shirt and pants. I grabbed an oversized shirt from my closet and got in bed. I could hear Brandon turn on the TV in the livingroom. I knew he was waiting for me to go over, to cuddle, to kiss him. But tonight, I didn’t want to. In fact, it seemed like a long time since I wanted to do anything with him.. Just then I heard a knock on my window. I shot up, scared. Then I heard a whisper, barely audible, “Hey, it’s Pat.” Confused, I got up and opened the window. He came in. He looked around and smiled. Then he took a seat on the bed. “Get dressed, we’re getting together for drinks in a few.” he said. He obviously didn’t know about earlier, and I figured it was probably better that way. “Sure,” I said. He stood up and looked at the posters on my wall, and I grabbed some jeans and threw on a hoodie over nothing but my bra. When I was done, I climbed out the window and he followed suit. I looked back, thinking that Brandon was probably checking the time, wondering when I would open my door and quietly walk to him… but I wouldn’t. I was going with Garrett. Not just him, though. With my new friends.

When me and Pat got to Garrett’s, everyone was already drinking. John approached us. “You drink?” he asked cooly. I laughed, it was a ridiculous question. “No,” I said. John laughed. “Well tonights a good night to start!” and handed me his beer. I hesitated, but when John and Pat walked off to the living room, I took a small sip. It stung as it went down my throat, and for a minute I wanted to gag. Then I felt a little better, and found myself craving another sip. I took another sip and stepped into the living room. Everyone was already drinking. It was late, probably midnight. Jared and John stared at the TV while Pat and Garrett were listening to Kennedy’s joke. I took a seat next to Jared as he said to me, “No, Garrett’s over there.” Confused, and a little hurt, I said, “What?” He replied, “Isn’t that where you should be? You obviously do. And he obviously wants you over there. It’s easy.” I laughed. He was right on target. “I don’t want to be over there.” I said. Jared grinned. He turned to me, “Ah, but you do.” and winked. He got up, and I could hear him in the kitchen a few seconds later opening the fridge. He was right. I looked over at Garrett, laughing with Pat. His eyes twinkled and his laughter filled the room. I heard Jared yell from the kitchen, “Pat, Kennedy! come with me to buy some more beers! Kennedy, you look 21. You’ll work.” Pat and Kennedy looked at eachother, then got up simultaneously, shooting a look at John. John looked at me, then Garrett, and sensing what was going on, he said, “Yeah, I’d better go, too.” Garrett looked confused. Soon, though, they walked out together, and it was just me and Garrett. I stayed silent. He looked at the floor. This was awkward, more than it needed to be. He got up and sat on the other side of the couch, grabbing the remote. He began flipping through channels. I moved closer to him. “I…I like you.” I said. It was true. Even just sitting next to him, my heart was pounding, and I felt like he could hear it. My mind was racing and my stomach was doing flips. He turned to me, and set the remote down. He pushed my shoulders down, so that I was laying flat on the couch. He climbed on top of me, and for a moment we just stared at eachother. I looked up at him and noticed each curve of his face. From his cheeks, to his eyes, then down to his lips. When I looked back up to his eyes, he leaned down and kissed my lips softly. Just a peck. Shivers went down my spine. These were different from when Brandon kissed me. Inside I was going crazy. I felt myself respond my leaning forward and placing my lips on his. Soon I felt his tongue grazing against mine. I took a deep breath in through my nostrils, and his hand traveled up my shirt. Wherever his fingers went, I got goosebumps. I felt his hand over my stomach, then on my chest. He stopped kissing me, and just looked at me, as if he was asking my permission. I nodded, and he began kissing my neck, while his fingers traveled to my back and unhooked my bra. His hands felt warm against my skin, and he pulled his body closer to mine. Then we heard the front door begin to open, and he sprang up. I jolted up and began hooking my bra again. He looked at me and laughed, then fixed my hair. From the feel of it, it was everywhere. Everyone walked in, and looked at us. They laughed, and I looked at myself, wondering what gave us away. “Why are you standing in the middle of the room like that! You look like two deer in headlights!” John said. Everyone laughed, and me and Garrett let out a little chuckle. Pat and Jared walked in with 4 beers in hand and handed one to me and Garrett. We took them, and sat down. The rest of the night went smoothly.

We talked, played board games (which was hilarious because half of them were too drunk to coordinate themselves), john sang, Jared pulled out his guitar, and we just talked. When it was around 4, people started to nod off. Garrett offered to walk me home. Even though it was just across the street, I agreed anyway.We said goodbye to Kennedy and Jared, the only ones still awake, and stepped outside.

The air was crisp. I immediately felt cold, and began to shiver, even in my hoodie. Garrett took my hand and without thinking, I didn’t let go. When we got to my window, I opened it and stepped inside. I looked at him, and he began to say, “Well, I guess I better…” Without thinking, almost immediately I said, “I don’t want you to leave.” I reached out for his hand and pulled him into my room. It was dark, so I led him to my bed. I was dead tired, and he layed down and I layed right next to him. The last thing I felt before nodding off was his chest, slowly rising up and down with each breath he took.