Sequel: Hearts So Pure

A New Beginning

Four

I heard a faint noise. Tap, tap, tap. My eyes slowly forced open and I heard my mom, “Leah, honey, your breakfasts getting cold. I grumbled, hoping to get back to sleep. I turned over, and the first thing I saw was Garretts face. “Shit!” I whispered. “Garrett!” He mumbled something about leaving him alone and turned over, slipping the covers over his face. “Garrett!” I repeated. “It’s morning!” He jumped up, looking at me. “What time is it?” He said. I looked at my watch, “Noon.” I heard my mom knock again, “Honey, who are you talking to?” My heart was pounding. Not only because my mom might find a boy sleeping in my bed, but because Brandon was probably walking over, asking her what she heard, ready to open the door. “It’s the TV, mom. I’m changing, I’ll be out in a few,” I said. I walked over to my window, quickly opening it. Garrett rubbed his eyes, and started climbing out. I leaned out the window, only able to see his silhouette, because of the sun beating down. I reached for his hand, and he leaned in, kissing my lips softly. I felt his hand on my neck. But slowly, he started to pull away, and I watched walk away as he let go of my hand. I closed the window and saw him climb into what I assumed was his own bedroom window. Then, realizing I was still wearing the clothes from last night, I threw on a white tank top and some sweats. I walked to the kitchen, where my mom, dad, and Brandon were already eating some eggs. “You’re up late,” my mom said. I didn’t say anything as I grabbed a spatula and served myself. Sitting at the table, across from Brandon, my mom and dad began to talk about which groceries they’d buy later. Eggs, syrup, chicken, pasta… I listened as they made their list together, randomly calling out names of foods until I felt something graze my foot. I looked up at Brandon, smiling at me as he took a bite of an omelette. He touched my foot again. I frowned, it was too early for him to try and be cute, especially when I hadn’t showered yet. I got up, and walked to the bathroom where I showered. Eventually, with nothing else to do, I began to unpack the remaining boxes. As I sat on the floor, ready to organize, I looked up to see Brandon leaning in the doorway. He actually looked really good. He had on a white polo, and some black jeans. His smile caught a sliver of light pouring in from my window, and his bleached teeth shone. I could smell him from where I was, his cologne he always wore filled my nostrils until I could taste it on my tongue. “Need help?” He said, smirking. I nodded, happy for the company. He sat down across from me, opening the box. Inside was all the tiny knick knacks I had saved for last. A candle, a painting to hang, and what seemed like hundreds of pictures from my old life. He grabbed the painting, holding it up at various angles, as if to see where it would be perfect. He chose a spot next to my window, and asked, “Is here okay? I can hang it for you if you want.” I smiled, it was a great spot. I walked over and examined it. “It’s perfect,” I said. He put the painting down and turned to me. He took a step closer to me, and I could make out each eyelash he had. I could even count them, I decided, when he leaned in and kissed me. First, it was a series of soft, gentle pecks. They almost reminded me of Garrett, leaning into my window. Suddenly his hands traveled down my back and he pushed me to the bed. He was on top of me now, his hands traveling up my shirt. He kissed me harder, and I could the weight of his face against mine. I managed to say “Brandon,” before he shushed me and pulled off his shirt. “Don’t ruin this. I want you so bad right now,” he said. Reluctantly, I agreed, and soon he had unhooked my bra and my shirt was off before I knew it. He kissed my neck, working his way down to my breasts. I felt his hand on my thigh, and electrifying shocks went through my body. Then he unzipped my pants. Pulling his pants off, then mine, he leaned his face against mine as he whispered in my ear, “I love you.” I closed my eyes, and felt his hand on my hips, pulling my panties down. I bit my lip, his hand was traveling up my thigh. i felt a wave of alarm as i thought, this is all going too fast. wasn’t i just unpacking a minute ago? then my mind flashed to Garrett. His hand slowly slipping away as he started to walk home, his chest slowly rising and falling as he fell asleep, and the gentle way he had kissed me last night. I snapped out of it when Brandon began kissing me with a ferocity I could only describe as painful. “Get off,” I managed to say. When he didn’t move, I pushed him off, and he fell to the floor. “What the fuck?” He started. I could tell by his tone that he was ready to begin yelling that we had been dating for a long time now, and that if i wasn’t ready now, when would I be? But before he could say anything, I just said, “Kiss my ass,” as I pulled my pants back on and fixed my bra and shirt. I stormed out of the room, and down the hallway, and to the front door. My mom was ready to ask a question about what was wrong when I muttered “I’m going out,” and walked out the front door, slamming it behind me.

Outside, it was already beginning to cool down. I walked down the street, leaving behind my house and Brandon. I adjusted my shirt, feeling the goosebumps begin to form on my stomach. i walked faster and for a long time until i came upon a small plaza with a few shops. A boutique, with pink letters painted on the front window, a small store that read “Mike’s Construction Company,” and a coffee shop. I dug my hands in my pockets and picked out a 10 dollar bill. It seemed to work, and I walked right into the coffee shop.

Not surprisingly, I was overwhelmed with the smell of coffee when I walked in. There was a few small tables, and in the front a counter with a girl twirling her hair behind it. I ordered the first thing I saw on the menu, and a muffin. Then I took a seat by the window. Sipping my coffee, I could see cars passing by and as time passed, I saw the sun begin to set. I watched for a long time before I noticed I hadn’t even touched my muffin, and I began to eat. Suddenly, hands were draped over my eyes and someone said “guess who!” I laughed, realizing it was Garrett, as he took a seat across from me. “Saw you in the window,” he explained. He grabbed my coffee and took a gulp. I watched him and I noticed his cologne was beginning to fill the room. As he swallowed, he took a glimpse out the window as his eye caught the sunlight seeping in. All I could think was how perfect he was in this moment, and I was amazed that I felt relieved as soon as I saw him, like I should have walked to his house to begin with. He seemed to sense I wasn’t in a good mood, and he offered to drive me. When I asked where, he simply replied, “wherever you want.” I smiled. Brandon had never been like this. He always planned things out, making a schedule everyday. I said to Garrett, “The ditch,” and before I could even finish, he was up, taking my hand in his, walking out the door, ready for anything and everything.