Sequel: Hearts So Pure

A New Beginning

Eight

The next week, school went by pretty quickly. I spent my lunches in John’s living room, usually studying or reading, sometimes just watching, as they practiced. I liked how they all fit in together, complimenting each other and just fitting in together. They joked around a lot, but at the same time they were serious enough. I came to look forward to this everyday.
After school, Kennedy usually found his way toward me. I began to think it wasn’t just a coincidence. Before long, I would find him waiting for me across the street, everyday after school.
That Friday, as Kennedy dropped me off, I started walking towards my house. I waited to hear his car pull away, but it turned off. I turned around to see him walking towards me. Maybe I forgot something in his car, I thought. As I looked down to check if I had my bag, he grabbed my waist and pulled me in. This time, I kissed him back. His breath was hot against my face, and I didn’t let go, and neither did he. My hand was holding on to his skin behind his neck, and his arms were around my waist. After a while, he pulled away, and he closed his eyes and put his forehead up against mine. We just stood there, foreheads touching, for a while. Then he let go, and walked back to his car. He drove off, and I could almost still feel his warm breath against my cheek from only seconds ago.
I looked up at Garrett’s house, and there he was. From where he was standing, it looked like he had originally begun to walk towards me, but stopped. He shook his head, and let out a scoff. Immediately I regretted all of it. I walked over towards him. “Garrett,” I said. It was the first time we’d spoken in a week. “Save it,” he said. I could feel the tears swelling up in my eyes. “This whole week,” I said. “You’ve been ignoring me, and Kennedy’s just been driving me home. We’re just friends.” By then I couldn’t even hold the tears back. “Then what the hell was that?” He said. “It just, happened. I don’t even like him, Garrett. I like you.” I said, and I reached for his hand. He pulled away, and said “I was ready to go apologize. I was walking to your house to fix things between us. But I can see you already moved on.” I didn’t know what to do, so I stood there, as tears rolled down my cheeks and as he walked up to his front door I finally said, “It’s you I want, Garrett.” He stopped only for a second before he opened the door and went inside, leaving me alone on his front porch. I walked back home.
That night, as I was going to sleep, I thought about what happened today. How could I be so stupid? And why would I kiss Kennedy back? Was I leading him on this whole time? I felt guilty again, thinking that Garrett was on his way to make things right between us when he saw what happened. I rolled over in bed, trying to put it all out of my mind so I could get some sleep. Just then, my phone vibrated. I looked at the screen.
Pat: Hey we’re getting together at John’s for some pizza and a late night jam session. you’re welcome to join (:
I didn’t feel like seeing anyone, especially Kennedy, so I ignored it and pulled the covers over my head. I was right about to fall asleep when I heard a faint knock. Thinking it was only my imagination, I let it go. But there it was again, this time louder, and I knew someone was at my window.
I hoped it wasn’t Kennedy, because I wouldn’t know what to say to him. And I hoped it wasn’t Pat, telling me to get my clothes on and go hang out. But as I pulled open my curtain, I saw who it was. It looked like he had been crying, too, and I opened the window, as quietly as I could, and let him in.
He walked into my room, and we just stood facing each other for a moment, before he walked over to me and hugged me. That’s all he did, hug me. I breathed in his smell and led him to my bed. Once we were both on it, I kissed him softly on the lips. I missed Garrett’s kisses. They were gentle and soft, and his lips felt like they belonged against mine. He pulled me closer to him, and we fell asleep that way, with me in his arms. Finally, after this whole week of school and homework and worrying about him, me and Garrett were fast asleep, in my bed.

The next morning he left early, promising to be back in an hour. I got ready, and while I was finishing my hair, I heard the doorbell ring. My mom answered it, and as I walked to the living room I heard her and Garrett talking.
My mom said, “Oh how lovely!” and Garrett laughed. I walked over to them, and I saw Garrett holding a bouquet of flowers. I was honestly stunned. There were purples and dark pinks and yellows. He handed them to me and all I could do was smile, and soon my mom said, “Honey, maybe you might want to introduce us?” I laughed and said, “Mom, this is Garrett. He lives across the street. Garrett, this is my mom.” He smiled, and shook her hand. “Nice to meet you,” he said. I stared at them as they began talking, wondering how he could be so calm knowing that he had snuck into my room countless times. He turned to me and said, “Leah, we’re all gonna go play some paintball. I don’t know if you like that kind of stuff, but I wanted to ask you, anyway. Wanna come?” Actually, I enjoyed paintball a lot, and I had even played Brandon back at my old town. I agreed, and my mom took the flowers as I walked outside with Garrett. He slipped his hand in mine and we walked to his car. We drove to Pat’s house and everyone was already there. Then we all got into Kennedy’s car, which was crazy because there was too much of us and Pat sat in John’s lap, which made everyone laugh.
When we got there, we were explained the rules and we had to put on some weird jackets to make sure we didn't get hurt. Garrett whispered to me, “Just stay with me.” and I smiled and nodded. As soon as we were out there, though, things were crazy. Garrett was a monster, running here and there, dodging bullet after bullet. Soon, I couldn’t keep up. I found my way behind a wall, and I was hidden, or so I thought.
Kennedy walked up to me, and for a second I forgot all about what happened and I almost shot him. “Woah!” he said, laughing. “Sorry,” I said. He walked over to me, getting closer than I wanted him to be. He placed his hand behind my neck, and leaned in to kiss me. I pulled away, saying, “Kennedy, listen,” and to my surprise, that's what he did. He pulled away, and stared at me, waiting for me to continue. “I just can’t do this. You’re a sweet boy, but…” I said. Then the feeling changed. “Then what was that last night?” he said. “You kissed me back. I thought this is what you wanted.” I looked down, and just then, Pat came up behind us and shot us both. “Ha!” he yelled. Way to make it even more awkward, Pat. I faked a laugh, and chased him out from behind the wall, leaving Kennedy alone.

The rest of the day went smoothly, I got hit a couple of times but I got Jared once in the leg. After a full day of paint balling, we got in Kennedy’s car and drove to get coffee. Once we were in the car, Garrett grabbed my hand. I could feel myself blushing, and soon, Jared noticed. “Nice, bro!” He said. I laughed and looked down, and everyone was making “woo” noises and soon, Pat started saying “Kiss her! Kiss her! Kiss her!” And everyone was chanting it. Garrett turned away at first and just when I thought he was gonna get really mad at them, he turned around and pecked me right on the cheek. John yelled “Whooo!” and everyone laughed. Pat turned around to me and said, “Told ya we knew about you guys.” and we laughed together.
We stopped at some diner, and we all crammed into a booth. Garrett hadn’t let go of my hand since the car, and we sat together. Kennedy sat in the corner, and I noticed he didn’t say much. Garrett and John and Jared were laughing and telling stories, while Pat looked at the menu. We ordered our food-mostly pancakes, it was night time but everyone agreed breakfast for dinner sounded great.
We ate our pancakes and eggs and shuffled into Kennedy’s car. He dropped Jared off first, then Pat, and lastly John. We drove back to his house, just us three, in his car, to get Garrett’s car. I was in the back, and I was feeling tired, so I closed my eyes. I heard Garrett say, “I think she fell asleep.” Then I heard Kennedy’s voice saying “So you and Leah…” and Garrett replied, “Yeah, look, I know it’s weird that you like her and all, but now it’s me and Leah. So I would appreciate it if you didn’t try anything.” And it was silent for a while. Kennedy didn’t respond, and I heard Garrett start up again, “I saw what happened the other day, outside her house? We’re friends, Kennedy, and I don’t want her to come between us, or vise versa.” I opened my eyes just a little, and I could see Kennedy nodding. Then he said, “I just didn’t believe there was something going on with you guys. I mean, Pat said there was, but I wasn’t sure. Especially since all that stuff with your ex girlfriend…” And I froze. I held my breath, waiting for Garrett to say something, anything. “That was a long time ago, Kenny.” he said. Then Kennedy said, “Yeah I know, but ever since she came back for the summer, everyone thought you guys would start back up again. We almost expected you to. Then she left right before Leah came, and everyone knew you were devastated. We didn’t think you were over her.” There was another silence, and Garrett said, “Well I am.” And I felt relieved. Then Garrett said something else, “I know when she came back last weekend that it seemed like we’d get back together-” and Kennedy interrupted him, “Yeah, especially since she was all over you!” and Garrett continued, “That’s not the point, I’m done with that now. I like Leah. It’s me and her now.” And they stayed quiet for the rest of the drive to Kennedy’s house. I thought to myself, he was so willing to let me go because she was back in town? I didn’t know how to feel, so I pretended to remain asleep until Garrett woke me up, saying, “Leah, let’s go home.” I got out of Kennedy’s car and got into his, and this time I really did fall asleep. I woke up when we were at my house. I looked at Garrett, who was staring ahead, down the street, at nothing in particular. I don’t know how long he had been doing that, so I told him bye and went inside.