Sequel: Hearts So Pure

A New Beginning

Nine

Sunday morning, I made myself some coffee and decided to go to Garrett’s house. I’d never been there, and I wanted to somehow get him to talk about his ex girlfriend. So I went over, and when I rang the doorbell, he answered. Only his hair was crazier than usual, and he had the same clothes on from yesterday. “hey,” he mumbled. I could tell he was half asleep, but he let me in and we walked to his room. I assumed his parents weren’t home, the house was dead quiet. When we got to his room, he said, “I’m gonna shower.” and left. I sat on his bed, and I heard the water running. I laid back on his bed, and looked around his room. I stared at a Johnny Cash poster for a while when a stack of papers caught my eye. The stack was big, and each paper looked like it had been written on. I bent over to get a closer look, and I saw they each had dates on them, and they were all addressed to “Rachel.” I grabbed the stack, the first one must have been a year old, and the dates were scattered. January, last August, December, and then I found another one. It was dated one week before. I began to read it, and it said, “Rachel, you’ve just left. I don’t know how I feel after you’ve gone. I’ve met someone else. But I still feel you here.” I stopped reading, and put the papers aside. The letter was from the day we stopped talking. I felt bad, because I had been going through his things, and it’s not like I had been completely honest to him, either. So I tried to make the papers look like they hadn’t been touched, and soon I heard the water turn off and Garrett walked out of the bathroom wearing some jeans, and that was it. He smiled at me, and his hair was still dripping from the shower and his face was a little damp. He walked over to the bed, and leaned down and kissed me. The same as always, soft and slow, but electrifying. Then the doorbell rang, and he went to get it. From his bedroom window, I could see his porch, and I scooted down his bed to get a view. There was a girl, around my age, with dark hair. She looked nervous, and when Garrett opened the door, there was silence for a while. Then she started talking “I miss you.” she said. Oh no, I thought. This must be who Kenny was talking about. “And I don’t really know what I’m doing here. After last weekend-” she said, and Garrett interrupted her. “We’re done.” he said. “Garrett,” she started, and walked towards him. I didn’t see him, but he must have pushed her away, because she backed up. “You can’t tell me that last weekend didn’t matter,” she said. “It did,” Garrett said, and I had had it. Whatever happened last weekend, didn’t matter. I sprang up from his bed and ran down the hall. I found his backdoor and ran out. I walked down the side of his house, and I saw him and her standing on the porch. He was holding her, and I had enough. They couldn’t see me if I ran, so that's what I did. I ran down the street, as fast as I could. I didn’t know where I was going, exactly, I just ran. Soon, I saw a familiar street and ran down it. I slowed to a walk, and before I knew it, I was in front of Kennedy’s house.
I rang the doorbell. In a few seconds, I was face to face with Kennedy. He just stared at me, waiting for me to say something. Before I knew it, though, I was bawling. And I thought to myself, I’ve done way too much crying in this town, and that only made me cry more. Kennedy pulled me close to him, and I cried right there, my face against his chest. We walked to his couch, and he asked what happened. Then I told him everything. The sneaking over to my house, the flowers, the letters, everything. Somehow, I got it all out, between sobs. Then Kennedy stood up. He put his jacket on. He was leaving. Confused I said, “Where are you going?” and he said, barely audible, “To talk to him.” I shot up, and grabbed his arm. “Stop,” I told him. “You guys are best friends. I can’t come between you like this.” He tried to shake me off, and I tried again, “Kennedy, please. The last thing I want is for you to leave.” That stopped him. He turned around, and looked me square in the eye. I felt a tear run down my cheek, and I pulled him closer to me. I sat on the couch, and he sat right next to me. I propped my legs up so my knees were to my chest, and I leaned my head against his shoulder. I grabbed the remote, and turned the TV on.
A couple hours later, after Kenny cooled down and we had been through about 7 re runs of Friends, I turned to Kennedy. His eyes were closed, but when he felt me turn, he opened his eyes. By that time, his arm was around me and I had spread my legs to the other side of the couch. The curtains were drawn but I could tell it was probably mid afternoon. When I looked at him, he made kind of a smirk and I smiled back. Then, without really knowing where I was going, I got up, and pulled him up with me. I walked up the stairs, and down the hallway. Soon, Kennedy walked in front of me and opened a door, pulling me in. I looked around, and noticed it was his bedroom. He stood by the doorway, waiting for me to say or do something. I let go of his hand and walked to his bed. Kennedy stared at me for a couple of seconds, hesitant. Then he followed me and stood at the edge of the bed. I sat up, and we were facing each other, me sitting, looking up at him, and him standing, looking down at me. I pulled my shirt off, and threw it on the ground. Kennedy leaned down and kissed me, pushing me back towards the other end of the bed. He leaned on top of me, his hands grazing my abdomen. I could feel the goosebumps forming on my stomach as he touched me. He pulled his shirt off, and I grabbed his shoulders and laid him down. I sat on top of him, and began kissing his neck.