Sequel: I'm With The Band
Status: Sequel up and running

Famous Most Wanted

Chapter Twenty Two

Taylor wondered whether travelling back with Johnny would have been less awkward. Vinny interrogated her nearly the whole 4 hour drive back. Part of her was grateful for the time away from Johnny and his intense green eyes, but part of her missed him already. She'd told Vinny she was tired and wanted to rest, but he didn't drop it.

He didn't trust Johnny and he wanted to be sure he hadn't tried anything with her. Taylor assured him he hadn't and leant her head against the window, shutting her eyes. She couldn't help but wonder though . . if she was in the back of that van with Johnny, would she have gotten peace? Would they just sit there and unwind after a stressful and scary night? Would he hold her and comfort her?

Taylor opened her eyes. No point dwelling on what could have happened. She'd made her choice. She'd chosen Vinny, she just wasn't totally sure why.

***

Johnny sat alone in a private office at that same police station he reported the murder to. He was slumped back comfortably into a sofa, a cigarette between his fingers and an ashtray on he sofa beside him. He listened to the clock tick and blew smoke from his mouth. He'd never felt more alone and lost. He couldn't go home. He had to go somewhere, but it wouldn't be anywhere he knew of. He didn't even have Taylor anymore. He'd been shut away in this room, smoking fag after fag for an hour, and she hadn't even come to check on him. He couldn't understand it.
There was a knock on the door. He looked up as Norris walked in.

'We feel it is best if we inform your mother of the situation,' he told Johnny, who felt increasingly like a schoolboy, sat in the headmasters office, waiting for the cane to crack down. Please don't call my mum, sir.

'We have contacted her and she is on her way.' Johnny felt relief warm him. He wanted to see Miranda more than he realised, even just to settle her mind that he was okay.

'If you do not wish to see her then-'

'Of course I wish to see her,' interrupted Johnny. Norris nodded and left Johnny alone again. It was at moments such as these, Johnny craved a drink, or even the whole bottle, like nobodies business.
Five minutes later, there was another knock on the door. This time Taylor stepped in. She shut the door behind her and leant against it, watching Johnny. He took a drag from his cigarette and didn't bother to stand.

'You alright?' she asked sheepishly.

'Fucking dandy, mate,' Johnny commented drily. Taylor slowly paced away from the door, not meeting Johnny's eyes.

'I'm sorry if I upset you in anyway-'

'Don't take that tone with me,' Johnny said in disgust as he ground his fag into the ashtray.

'What tone?' Taylor wondered. Johnny stood and stepped towards her.

'That professional one. I thought we were past that bullshit . . . Tex.' Taylor sighed and shook her head.

'You can't call me that, Johnny.'

'Why?' He stepped forward to her and captured her hands in his. She stared at them, torn between what she wanted to be right and what she knew was.

'Where are they taking me, Tex?' Johnny asked, rubbing circles into her hand with his thumb. She shrugged.

'I honestly don't know,' she answered. She finally lifted her eyes and met Johnny's.

'Come with me,' he pleaded. She shook her head again. 'Tex, don't do this,' sighed Johnny.

'I can't, Johnny. We can't be trusted. Too much has happened between us-'

'We kissed, for fuck sake,' groaned Johnny. 'We were hardly doing it on the kitchen table when your boys turned up.' Taylor felt her cheeks heat up at the thought.

'You make me weak,' she blurted. Johnny frowned and she explained. 'I'm a strong woman and I'm good at my job, but when I'm with you I feel weak and helpless, to you mainly. I can't protect you from anyone if I can't even protect myself form you.'

'You're the only one who can protect me, Tex,' Johnny corrected.

'How do you figure that?'

'Because you care about me, more than any of them do. I trust you. I know you would never let anything hurt me because I know you actually care about me. You're the best one for the job.'

'Johnny I . .' she babbled, shaking her head in confusion.

'Please, Tex?' Johnny cupped the side of her face. 'Come with me. We've come so far. I've told you so much. We have a connection, I wanna keep that. What d'you say?' Taylor opened her mouth to answer when the door opened. She stepped back quickly and looked over at the dark haired woman in the doorway. She shut the door behind her.

'Mum!' cried Johnny, beaming a smile. Miranda shook he head.

'What trouble have you caused this time, John?' Taylor had never heard him called that before. It sounded weird on him. Johnny walked forward and so did Miranda. He enclosed his arms around his mother and hugged her hard. She was short woman and so Johnny had quite a few inches on her.

'I've been worried,' she told him placidly.

'Sorry, mum. I wanted to call, like, but they said it would put you at risk . . y'know? From the gang trying to kill me?' Miranda shook her head angrily.

'It's outrageous. Who do these people think they are? Do they have any idea who you are?'

'Yeah, mum. That's the problem. Everyone fucking knows me.'

'How have you been?' she asked instead. Johnny nodded.

'Good, actually. Tex- I mean Detective Reynolds has been looking after me.' Johnny nodded over his shoulder at Taylor, still stood there awkwardly. Miranda eyed her.

'Yeah, I bet,' she said with a raised eyebrow.

'Mum,' Johnny scolded. 'Taylor ain't like that. She's classy and professional and thinks I'm a bit of a dick, ain't that great?' Johnny looked genuinely pleased by this.

'Great she thinks you're a dick?' Miranda repeated. Johnny nodded.

'Yeah. No one thinks I'm a dick, 'specially not women. It's refreshing is all.' Miranda eyed Taylor a moment.

'He been eating properly?' Taylor smiled. She was just like any other mother. Wash behind your ears, wear clean pants . . .

'All the bacon and eggs and French toast a growing boy could need,' smiled Taylor, suddenly feeling comfortable. Miranda smiled back.

'Good to see someone's finally taking care of you. You've never been very good at doing that yourself.' Johnny rolled his eyes.

'How're the guys?' he asked instead. Miranda sighed.

'They're very worried about you, son.' Johnny nodded and lowered his eyes. 'I don't know if you've been allowed newspapers, but you've been on the front of every one since March. The band's on indefinite hiatus.' Johnny's eyes snapped up to his mum.

'No,' he groaned. 'Fuck.' He looked troubled.

'It'll be tough not telling them you're alive,' noted Miranda with dread in her voice.

'They think I'm dead?' Johnny exclaimed.

'They don't know what to think, John. None of us did. This a pickle, isn't it?' Johnny nodded and smiled weakly at Miranda. She averted her eyes.

'Have you seen any newspapers at all?' she enquired carefully. Johnny nodded then shrugged. He lowered his eyes also.

'A few,' he confirmed. Miranda shook her head.

'You silly arse,' scorned Miranda. 'How could you be daft enough to get that silly cow up the duff? I thought you were more careful than that.' Johnny said nothing as he watched his feet. Miranda sighed frustratedly.

'Have you . .' Johnny looked up sheepishly. 'Have you heard from her?'

'Grace has no reason to destroy me. She's got it in for Kev and Zach though.'

'I dumped the bitch,' muttered Johnny, kicking his feet against the floor.

'Yes, and now she has your baby.' Miranda didn't sound impressed at all. Johnny looked regretful. Taylor felt more and more awkward, like she were eavesdropping on a private conversation.

'Will you be back for your Birthday, do you think?' Miranda changed the subject, but this one depressed Johnny more. He ran a hand through his hair stressfully and pressed his lips together into a firm line. 'Oh, Johnny,' gushed Miranda, sweeping him up in a hug. Taylor couldn't see from her angle, but she assumed Johnny was maybe crying? She couldn't be sure. She couldn't imagine Johnny Carolina crying. He just didn't. He was invincible.

The door opened and Norris stood there. He nodded at Taylor and she nodded back, trying her best to look professional again. Johnny and Miranda released each other. Johnny looked tear-free.
Maybe he'd wiped them away? Taylor wondered.

'We're ready for you Mr Carolina,' informed Norris. Johnny sighed and nodded and Norris left the room again.

'So this is it,' Miranda stated, rather than asked. 'Well, it's nice to know you're still alive, son. The world's been wondering.' She looked up at Taylor then. 'You take good care of him now. I'm sure you will.'

'Oh,' Taylor replied bashfully. 'I wont be going with him this time.'

'Oh?' said Miranda questioningly. 'Why's that?'

'I . . .' Taylor couldn't think of a reason why.

'Do you think I could have a moment with Detective Reynolds, mum?' Miranda nodded and left the room, which was now filled with the sound of the ticking clock. Taylor glanced at Johnny. He was staring at the floor.

'You don't see your mum for two months and when you finally do you ask her to leave? You're a funny one, Johnny,' said Taylor in fake cheer, trying to make light of things. Johnny looked up at her.

'I'll be good,' he told her. 'I'll do everything you tell me to. I wont come on to you. I'll behave, just don't leave me, Tex.'

'Johnny . .'

'Taylor.' He gave her a meaningful look and she felt herself bending to his will. 'Don't abandon me when I need you most.' Taylor stared hard at the wall, saying nothing.

'I can't wait for you, Tex,' he pressed.

'You're right. You need to leave.' Johnny sighed heavily before walking to the door. He exited through it without another word to Taylor.
She hated that it had to end that way, but figured there was no real romantic way she could reject him.

And why was she rejecting him again? She wrapped her arms around herself as she battled with her mind. She just couldn't decide if she should go with him. Maybe he was right. She would protect him more thoroughly because she actually cared about him, she had feelings for him.
But it was those feelings that made being around him so dangerous. She was far too attached to him, so was leaving him really for the best?

Taylor looked at the sofa and spotted Johnny's packet of fags. He must have forgotten them. That was all the reason she needed to go after him. Taylor picked up the packet and ran out the door.
She caught him just as Officer Rybeck opened the van's windowless back doors. Johnny stepped in and took a seat along the side. Officer Rybeck was about to close the doors when Taylor hurried to his side.

'Wait a minute,' she huffed as she caught her breath. She looked up and found Johnny staring back down at her. She held up the packet to him and smiled. He frowned and patted his pockets, as if remembering he didn't put it in.

'You'd lose your head if a wasn't attached to your neck.' She climbed into the van and held out the packet. Johnny took it and just stared at Taylor as she claimed a seat opposite him. He was confused.

'What are you doing?' he asked.

'I'm coming with you, of course,' she said like it were obvious. 'This is my assignment and I'm going to stick it out. Besides,' she smiled. 'What would you ever do without me?' Johnny smiled back and felt touched that she'd decided to come after all. He looked up at his mum who was stood to one side to see him off. She raised her eyebrows significantly.

'Taylor!' called a voice. Her and Johnny both looked up at Vinny and Johnny rolled his eyes. He muttered something about Vinny being a twat and Taylor ignored him.

'Yes?' she asked as Vinny stood at the van's open doors.

'Come out of there. Norris doesn't expect you to carry on with this. It's fine. Just come out. Maybe we can grab a coffee?' he suggested.

'Top idea, mate,' Johnny butt in, standing up and reaching for the doors. 'But Taylor likes tea.' He shut the door on Vinny and sat back down, muttering still. Taylor smiled to herself

'Vinny will be mad,' she said, still fighting the smile on her lips.

'Like I give a fuck,' mumbled Johnny, opening his pack of fags and counting how many he had left. Only five. He'd smoked about six since arriving at the police station.

'So what changed your mind?' he asked, unzipping the pocket of his leather jacket and stuffing the fags inside. Taylor shrugged.

'I don't really know. I guess you're right though. I probably will protect you better than anyone else, and that's all that matters really, you staying alive.' Johnny nodded and slouched back into his seat.

'I'm glad you came.'

***

When Johnny was hurried out of the car, not an hour later into his new home, he smiled at the irony as he realised where they were.

'Hide Place,' he nodded, looking at Taylor as they crowded into a lift. 'Appropriate, ain't it?' Taylor looked a little uncertain of the destination. Surely Johnny would be at higher risk, hiding in a flat in Westminster? How could that possibly be safe? How was that logical?

'So we're going to hide in plain sight?' Johnny worked out immediately with a smug raise of his eyebrow. Taylor blinked at him and understood.

'No one will think to look for you in central London. They're too busy sending out search boats into the Gulf of Mexico.' Commented Officer Rybeck.

'Really?' asked Johnny in amazement. Rybeck nodded and the lift doors pinged open. He ushered Johnny and Taylor out and down a corridor. There were dust sheets across all the doors and the whole top floor smelt of building site.
Rybeck held back a dust sheet and unlocked the door behind it.

'The whole building is being renovated and turned into flats. We pulled some strings and work has been called off here, at least until you leave. This is you.' He held back the dust sheet and Johnny and Taylor stepped in reluctantly.

The flat inside was finished obviously, and probably the only flat in the building that was. It was nice, Taylor thought. It was a lot bigger than her own flat and much smaller than Johnny's, and she could only assume it would suffice. It was modern, a vast contrast to the quaint cottage they had been living in. The flat, however, didn't feel nearly as homey as their cottage once had.

'You'll be the only two living in the whole building and, Taylor, same rules. If anything crops up, call us and we'll get you out ASAP. Now, cause obviously we're in the middle of London here, Johnny can't leave the flat.'

'At all?' Taylor frowned.

'You want him to get spotted?' Taylor sighed and didn't answer. 'You, however,' continued Rybeck, looking at Taylor. 'You may leave to shop for supplies or whatever you need, but refrain from doing it too often and enter and leave the building discreetly. It's under construction. Remember that. You don't have to cover the widows and hide in the corner. You're on the top floor so the chances of being spotted through the window are slim. Other than that, I think the only thing left to say is be careful . . both of you. Look out for one another. It's Dangerous you being in London but Norris is convinced this is the smartest option.'

'Thanks Paul,' nodded Taylor, feeling suddenly shy. Was it because he was rounding up and she knew he was going to be leaving her alone with Johnny? Last time they were properly alone they'd had a mad burst of passion. Taylor was terrified she get a repeat of that.

As Rybeck left Taylor the keys and exited with a comforting wave, Taylor once again felt that overwhelming feeling of responsibility. She began to question why she'd agreed to do this a second time around. She'd barely escaped with her life the first time. And that was just from the dangers of Johnny. She hadn't even considered another break in.

Taylor felt fingers brush across her hip bone and she flinched away from the touch. She span and looked stony faced at Johnny.

'I think we need some ground rules here-' she began before getting cut off with an exaggerated groan. Johnny rolled his eyes.

'We don't need rules, Tex. We're past that. We're way past that and there's no going back.'

'That may be, but that doesn't mean we have to press forward.'

'What are you saying?' Johnny frowned, folding his arms.

'We need to stay professional Johnny-' Another groan. 'We need to stay focused. You heard Paul, You're at a much higher risk staying here so we need to be on the ball with this one. We can't let our concentration slip for a second.'

'Do you remember how it was?' he asked her, just as stony faced. Taylor said nothing. She knew what he was talking about and she lowered her eyes, pretty sure he was going to remind her anyway. 'You kissed me.' There it was.
Taylor felt a heat creep up her neck as she still refused to meet Johnny's eyes.

'It was urgent, don't you think? Desperate, almost. And such passion . . . you must have been building that one up like a day old fart.'

'You have such a magic way with words, Johnny,' Taylor cringed with disgust.

'That's why I'm the song writer, baby,' he smiled wolfishly. Johnny took a step towards her. 'They can take us out of Wales,' he said, gently placing his hands on Taylor's hips. 'But they can't take Wales out of us. We had some great times there. Shared some laughs. Created memories . . . and feelings. And just cause we left that cottage doesn't mean we left our feelings behind as well. Lets face it, Tex, we got chemistry. And it's till there. Can't you feel it over you skin?' He drew her closer. 'Can't you hear it in your eardrums?' He ran a hand through her hair. 'Can't you just taste the anticipation on your tongue?' He pushed a kiss into her neck and she took a sharp intake of breath. 'I know I can,' he murmured, lips against her ear.

Taylor felt immensely turned on and discovered how easy it would be for her to simply give into him. But Rybeck was right. She was right. He was in a lot of danger. More than before. She couldn't stand to see Johnny get hurt because of her own lack of will-power. As much as she would have loved to have ripped Johnny's clothes off that second, she restrained herself, pushing against his chest with an apologetic smile.
His eyes glinted. He loved the chase, she realised, and she gave him plenty of that.
Johnny knew he was going to have to win her over again, but he was strangely looking forward to it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, this one's late cause I went to a gig last night and was knackered when I got back.
Also, this story's coming to a close soon. But don't worry, it wont be the last you see of Johnny Carolina ;)