Sequel: I'm With The Band
Status: Sequel up and running

Famous Most Wanted

Chapter Nine

As a method of distraction, Taylor had convinced Johnny to browse through the bookcase on the upstairs landing. She told him reading was like a sponge that soaked up time but, unlike television, the result actually felt rewarding. The hours lost somehow seemed worth it. Johnny was reluctant, not being a big reader, but he looked through the books nonetheless. He spent over forty minutes looking for the right one, pulling out nearly every book and reading the blurb.

Eventually, he settled with a battered, hardback copy of The Shining.
He sat on the sofa with a cup of tea Taylor had made him and began the book. He'd heard that Stephen King was the best at these horror/thriller type books, and Johnny felt like he could have used a little excitement.

An hour or so later, Taylor was calling Johnny for dinner. He read to the beginning of the next paragraph before closing the book on a ripped piece of paper. He was a pretty fast reader and had just discovered that Mr Hallorann had the shining too and had warned Danny to stay away from room 217. Johnny was well and truly hooked now.

'Fucking hungry,' Johnny commented as he walked to the table.
They sat opposite each other on the long, picnic bench-like table, eating spag bol.

'You're a neat little cook, y'know that?' Johnny stated as he wolfed down his dinner. Taylor shrugged. They were quietly eating before Taylor put her knife and fork down.

'Can I ask you something?' she enquired. Johnny sighed wearily.

'Depends what you're asking 'bout.'

'Why did you pick Carolina to be your surname?' She watched as Johnny frowned lightly.

'As good a name as any,' he shrugged.

'Bullshit! There must be some hidden meaning behind it.'

'Listen toots, my life just ain't that well planned, okay? I was probably on drugs when I picked it anyway. Like I said, I just woke up one day like this.'

'So you woke up and didn't question why you had the wrong surname?'

'Everyone knows Carolina's just a stage name, and no one needs to know my real name. Plus the band's called State-Side so it makes sense to be named after a state.'

'So there's no emotional connection to Carolina?' Taylor said.
Johnny shook his head. 'Sorry to disappoint you, babe. But I just ain't that cleaver.'

'You're smarter than you think, Johnny. And don't call me babe.'

'And what about you?' he asked then. 'You need one now, don't you? Now you're apart of the State-Side family,' he grinned. Taylor shook her head quickly. This was never meant to be permanent.

'No, no. I'm not apart of-'

'Rubbish,' disregarded Johnny. 'You're the first woman I've shared a house with. Gotta stand for something, I'm afraid.' Taylor looked unsure. Johnny rubbed his stubbly chin as he thought. Then his eyes lit up.

'Texas.' he pointed a finger at her and she frowned. 'Taylor Texas. We don't have one of those.' She lowered her eyes.

'Johnny . . don't get too attached-' he laughed.

'Don't get attached to you?' he offered. Taylor looked up at him. 'No offence, but I rarely get attached to women. Wasn't even attached to Grace. I like women, sure. Women like me. And women like yourself who prove themselves to be trustworthy, I'll always have time for. But attached?' He shook his head. 'Not generally a problem for me.' Taylor wished she had his withdrawal. He was a jerk, but at least he was an honest jerk. She always knew where she stood with him.
She watched him as he began eating again.

'Tex,' he mused with a nod. 'Yeah I like that.' Taylor narrowed her eyes slightly. Something wasn't right with him. Something looked wrong.
Johnny couldn't seem to eat quick enough but it was almost like his hands weren't working properly. His coordination was off.

'Johnny,' she said. He looked up at her. As she suspected, he was packing some serious red eye. How had she not noticed before? Her mouth fell open.

'Are you high? Is this for real? What the fuck is wrong with you Johnny? I'm a cop, for Christ sakes. You can't just take drugs and get away with it.'
Johnny shrugged.

'I have Conjunctivitis.'

'Bollocks do you. And the munchies?'

'What? A man can't be hungry without being on drugs?'

'You can't.' Taylor glared at Johnny. 'Cannabis is a class B drug and can leave you with five years in jail and an unlimited fine!'
Johnny watched his plate a moment. 'What happened to 'what happens in North Wales, stays in North Wales'?'

'Those were your words!' Taylor scolded.

'But you said you didn't care! You said it was just us here!' cried Johnny.

'Buying a newspaper is a little different to allowing you to take drugs,' snapped Taylor. Johnny sighed.

'It was just a little escape, y'know? Just wanted to forget everything for a few hours,' he said sadly. Taylor sighed and her scowl smoothed out.

'Look, Johnny, I'll make a deal with you.' he looked up at her. 'If you flush the drugs, I'll forget you ever took them. God knows how you even smuggled them here. I don't want to know how you got them, just get rid of them.'
Johnny cocked his head and frowned. 'Really? Why? You don't like me,' he stated.

'You're going through a hard time,' she shrugged. 'I was foolish to think that someone like you wouldn't turn to drugs for support, totally overlooking me.'

'What do you mean?'

'Not what you're thinking. I mean I'm always here if you want to talk. If you're feeling troubled. You don't need to turn to drugs, Johnny. Turn to me.'

'You're not my counsellor,' he muttered, sulking at his plate.

'Flush the damn drugs, Johnny,' Taylor ordered in a stern and final voice. Johnny stood, muttering under his breath and Taylor followed him to his room to be certain he did it.

***

After dinner, and the drugs flushing, Johnny continued to read. A fire was softly crackling and the cottage actually felt warm for once. Taylor came down the stairs with her own book in hand. Johnny looked up at her.

'Can I join you?' she asked, indicating to the space on the sofa next to him. He nodded. The effects of the drugs had worn off and he was back to normal, not that that was a good thing.
Taylor sat beside Johnny and sank into her book. Johnny looked over her a moment.

'Romance, huh?' he smirked. Taylor looked at him, confused. He nodded at the book. She looked at it and realisation touched her eyes.

'Yeah. Well, I always find it's nice to read about something that's not particularly relevant to your own life.'

'Not the romantic type then?' he asked, closing The Shining on his index finger.

'I used to be,' she said and began reading again.

'Lemme guess. That twat who drove us here. Am I warm?' Taylor looked back up at Johnny. How could he possibly guess she'd had a relationship with Vinny?

'I'm not discussing my love life with you, Johnny,' she dismissed. Johnny shrugged and opened his book again.

The only sound in the living room for the next hour was the sound of the fire slowly dying and the sound of turning pages, but even that sound died. Johnny looked at Taylor. He'd noticed she wasn't turning pages anymore.
She was asleep. He smiled and scooted closer to her. Gently her took the book from her hands and put it to one side. He watched her.

He remembered the first day he saw her. He still wanted to fuck her even now. But he knew, now they knew each other, it wouldn't just be a simple fuck like he had with all the others. This would be something special. He'd have to make it special because that's what she would want. She was so uptight. He needed to loosen her somehow. He needed to get inside her head before he got inside anywhere else.

He was pretty sure he'd be safe with Taylor. Normally when he had sex, the girl would instantly fall in love with him. Johnny would half expect Taylor to be the one to bugger off the next morning while he was sleeping. She didn't have feelings for him so a shag would be intense. It would be mindless. How he liked them best. No emotional strings attached. They could do it all the time, in every room and it wouldn't mean a thing. It would just be a bit of fun. An exchange of body heat on the cold, cold nights.

Johnny had yet come across a woman who didn't want him instantly. Who didn't end up a naked tangled mess with his own body within the hour. But Taylor was different. She didn't want him. Didn't even like him. That's what made it so perfect.

He reckoned Taylor was still hung up over the knob who drove them to the cottage. The bloke that didn't trust him with her.
Johnny thought of Grace and how little he missed her, though, thinking about it, she had a cracking body and was great in the sack, but miss her? Nah.

***

Grace looked at her reflection in the mirror of her sun visor, checking her red lips stick wasn't spoilt. When she saw Zach Montana quickly flee from his semi detached home, she flipped up the visor and jumped out the car. She stormed over to where he stood, unlocking his car.

'Explain yourself,' she ordered with a glare. Zach looked at her, cigarette hanging from his mouth and sunglasses on his face. She didn't look happy. Zach sighed. No one wanted to deal with Johnny's demented ex-girlfriends. They didn't get paid enough.
Grace stood at 5 foot eight in her 5 inch heels. Her jeans were so tight they looked like they were painted on. Her white vest exposed her navel and her large designer handbag was hanging from her inner elbow.

Zach opened his car door and Grace pushed it shut. Zach folded his arms.

'Is it too much to ask to be kept in the damn loop?' she glared, loving how men with big cameras were snapping pictures of them from the bottom of Zach's drive.
Zach said nothing. 'Well?' Grace snapped. 'Where the fuck is he?'

'How should I know?' Zach frowned, opening the car door only for it to be pushed back shut again. She leant against the car door and Zach rolled his eyes.

'Look, I don't know anymore than you do, okay? Will you quit bugging me?'

'Quit bugging you? No. He's my boyfriend. I want to be involved in this.'

'Why?' Zach accused. 'So every time we hear something you can go and tell them? And how much are they paying you to be kept in the loop too?' He pointed to the paparazzi, still flashing away.

'What do you take me for?' she gasped.

'A user. That's all you are. Like you ever fucking cared about Johnny, Grace. Don't come running to me, pretending to give a shit about him just cause the cameras are rolling. Some people are really honestly concerned so don't give me your bollocks. I'm not in the mood to pretend you're a proper girlfriend to Johnny.' Grace stood, mouth open, unsure what to say. Zach moved her to one side and got in his car uninterrupted this time. He started the engine and Grace stormed passed, back down the driveway.

'You're going to regret speaking to me like that, Montana!' she spat venomously.
♠ ♠ ♠
Nothing better than vegging in your warm bed with a nice hot cuppa. Ahhh. :)

..Also, my cat is talking to me. He doesn't stop talking, he's a gob on a stick that one. I dunno...anyway, hope you enjoy.
Let me know what you think, I really do love hearing from you, even if you just pop in for a good old chin-wag, I just like chatting to you guys. :)