Trying Not to Love You

Zombie dance

My third favourite morning came the next day. I was still on the sofa where I’d fallen asleep with Max. my face was against his chest which moved rhythmically with each breath he took. Our fingers were entangled in each other’s hair and I’d somehow wound my leg around him. It was so peaceful I didn’t want the tranquillity to end. The fact we were still in last night’s clothes didn’t bother me. The fact that my eye makeup would no doubt have spread and created an un-dead look didn’t phase me. I was far too happy. I slipped my fingers free careful not to yank any tangles and slid my hand to his back, feeling slightly closer.

“Good morning,” Max whispered, shifting an inch but holding me tighter.

“Good morning,” I replied opening my eyes slowly.

My gaze rose up to meet his. I could see it coming, it was practically inevitable but my heart still exploded when he kissed me.
No first kiss had made me feel like that.
Your first as a child never counts, perhaps the first as a teenager should be more than a dare but mine wasn’t. A first relationship kiss shouldn’t be drunken or forced, it should be perfect like this one was. It was short and sweet but I melted into it completely.

“What took you so long?” I murmured.

“I thought you’d go Jet Li on my ass,” he smiled.

“Brave of you to test that,” I giggled.

“Nah, I just figured I could take you if you tried it,” his cheeky grin spread.

“Save my dignity won’t ya.” I leaned up again to reconnect our lips but refrained from deepening it.

“So what does this mean?” Max asked as I leaned my head back down onto his chest.

“In my experience it means I’ve taken a shine to you. And perhaps you like me a little bit too,” I smirked ever so slightly.

“I do like you. Probably a bit too much for someone I don’t know all that well,” Max’s hand stroked up and down my back and I sensed a smile.

“We’ve got all the time in the world,” I told him.

“But what if the zombie apocalypse comes early?” he gasped.

“I did not think of that. Good thing one of us is smart,” I turned my head and grinned up at him.

When is that zombie apocalypse scheduled for again?