Status: On hiatus

Falling

Chapter Eighteen: Lose

Madison and Matt helped me get my things from my former home, and take them to her place. Chis was absent, he had left the door open for us, and we only stayed about an hour. I didn't even feel bad about never stepping foot in this place again. It was as if I was closing a bad chapter and stepping into next one, which would hopefully be much better. Besides it had never really felt like home.
The best news of my life came on Monday. Chris had signed the divorce papers. We would soon finally be out of each others life for good. But that text I had gotten the other night indicated Chris still planned on making my life a living hell. Mack told me that he had talked with Chris' lawyer an the had set up a meeting with him at the end of the week. Both Chris an I need to be present.
So on Friday afternoon we sat down and discussed why our two year marriage had come to a end. Chris had quite a few things to say. First off he wanted to have an at-fault divorce, instead of the no-fault on I filed for.
“She's unstable. A few weeks back I found her half dead, she had tried to overdose on pills.”
“What the hell?” I exclaimed.
“You want to end this marriage. Well I'm just letting our lawyers know just what drove you to this point.”
I huffed. “Give it a rest. Let's just get this over with.”
“You cheated on me.”
“What?” My voice was close to shouting. “You of all people have the nerve to accuse me of something that you yourself are guilty of.”
“Mr. Foster, do you have proof of her alleged infidelity?” Mack questioned.
“No. But she started sneaking out.”
“I'm allowed to leave the house. I'm not a child.” I muttered.
“You wouldn't tell me where you would go, you'd just be out late. I know you went some where, with someone. I just know.”
“So you have no proof then?” Mack asked again.
Chris looked hard and long at Mack. “No.”
“Well let us move on from that then.”
“Let's talk about Mrs. Foster's sanity.” His lawyer said.
I turned my attention to him.“Excuse me?”
“Well it is true that you had some sort of breakdown a month ago. Is that what triggered your decision to file for divorce?”
“First off I didn't have a breakdown, secondly this divorce is long over due. So no my attempt has nothing to do with this.”
“Uh huh. And what does your therapist think of your sudden decision?”
“What does that have to do with anything?” I tried to keep my voice calm, cool under pressure.
“Everything.” The lawyer folded his hands and rested them on the table, giving me a small smile. “Your mental stability is in question.”
“Mental stability is sound. The only thing I'm dealing with is depression which I'm taking medication for. I'm not bipolar, schizophrenic, or any other thing you've been thinking up. I can think for myself, I'm stable, I work and do my job well. Yes I tried to take my own life, something I regret having done but you can;t hold that against me.”
Chris turned to me. “Tell them why you did it. I'm still unclear about it myself.”
“Well I'm not here to give you clarity.” I leaned back in my seat. “Would you like me to start rattling thing off about you? Or would rather we just move on? Cause I'm not sure why you want to make this harder than it has to be.”
“I gave you years of my life. Years I can't get back. And you just want to throw them away.”
“I never wanted to marry you Chris. I'm sorry if I waste your time. Heck I wasted my own. I just thought this would work. I was wrong. We're both young. Let's not waste anymore time. Would you rather me continue to lie and pretend I'm happy? Don't you see what happens when you lie for too long?”
“Dylan, you're so immature.” Our lawyers tried to shut us both up, but we were just getting started.
“Okay then let's go there Chris.” I sat up straighter. I didn't trust you, you never gave me a reason to. You-”
He cut me off. “You wouldn't communicate with me. You lied, all the fucking time.”
“You lost your temper so often I didn't want to ever tell you my problems.”
“There was someone else wasn't it? You were fucking someone else.”
“You stupid dummy, I didn't sleep with anyone else.”
“Just admit it.”
“There's nothing to admit. You slept with women on every business trip you took.”
“You're a crazy bitch. I should have had you thrown in the nut house.”
“Why? So you could have more time with your whores? If you hate me so much why are you trying to hold on? Why did you marry me, cause your daddy wanted you too? Or because you thought I would be a god submissive little wife?”
“I loved you Dylan. You never loved me.”
“You're right I didn't.” I admitted in a quiet voice. “And I should have walked away before, but it took some soul searching for me to do it.”
He scoffed, “Soul searching.”
“Yes,Christopher. And now we can both move on.
“You're gonna wake up and realize your mistake soon enough. Don't expect me to welcome you back with open arms.”
“Why would I go back to you? You lied, cheated, abused me. You actually hit me Chris.”
“You deserved it.” He said before he could stop himself. Both the lawyers looked at him in dis belief. “What?”
“Who's acting like the child now?”
That shut him up, he stared at me for a moment before he stood up. “We're done for now.” He and his lawyer left the room. I realized something then, Chris didn't want to lose me, and he knew now my filing for divorce wasn't a bluff but the real thing. I believe he loved me in his own little fucked up way and now he was truly losing me.
And there was nothing he could do about it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll probably rewrite this in the next few day and make it a little longer.