Status: On hiatus

Falling

Chapter Five: Cry

I drove aimlessly and let my tears fall as I blasted Queen sky high. Yes I had finally allowed myself to cry. “Who Needs You” came on and I thought I would play this song for Chris when I told him I was leaving him. But when “Don't Try Suicide” played I laughed out loud even as the tears continued to flow. By the time I figured out I was lost it was dark. The clock read 9:43 and I saw a diner and went in for a milkshake.
“Can I help you?” said the pretty blonde server.
“Yeah a strawberry milkshake, please.” I said as I looked over the menu.
“Sure, great choice.” She flashed a smile before she turned around to make it. I sat at the bar, there were only about ten people dinning. She returned with the milkshake. “Anything else?”
“I don't think so.”
“It'll be $2.50.” I dug in my pocket and realized I had no money.
“Shit.” I said loud enough to hear. “Sorry, I forgot my wallet.”
“Here.” I turned to see a guy with wave dark hair handing the waitress three bucks.
“No, that's okay.” I told him.
“Nonsense. Besides this milkshake is delicious.” The waitress took the money and the guy moved to sit next to me. “I'm Aidan by the way.” He was wearing black Buddy Holly like glasses and a plaid shirt and jeans. He had a book by him, John Milton's Paradise Lost.
“Dylan.”
“Nice to meet you Dylan. I like your name.”
“Thanks.”
“Well aren't you gonna drink it?”
I took a sip of the milkshake and then couldn't stop. I hadn't had much of an appetite the past few days and the milkshake told me just how hungry I was. I didn't stop until I was more than half way through.
“God, that good.”
“Told ya.” He smiled, his green eyes watched me closely, it made me rather uncomfortable.
“Could you not do that?”
“Do what?”
“Stare.”
“Oh... I”m sorry. I didn't even realize what I was doing. It's just that you're very pretty.”
“Yeah right.”
“I'm serious”
“Well... thanks.”
I really don't think I am and compliments don't sit well with me but I felt like he really meant it and wasn't just saying it to be nice.
I finished the milkshake and almost licked the glass. “Want another?” the guy called Aiden asked me.
“No, I really couldn't.”
“Come on, seems like you really enjoys that one.”
I couldn't argue with that, so I let him buy me another one, this time chocolate. He ate a slice of cheesecake and drank coffee.
“Can you tell me exactly where we are?”
“You're in a diner.” He said slowly.
“You know what I mean.”
He smiled a crooked smile. “Andersonville.”
“Oh.” That was several towns over from my home.
“You're not from around here, huh?”
“Is it obvious?”
“Well if you're asking where you are, then yes it is. Where are you from?”
It took me several seconds before I answered. “Mason.”
“A big city girl.”
“Andersonville isn't a small town.”
“I know but most people avoid us like the plague. Are you lost?”
“Not exactly.”
“Uh huh. I'm betting you need directions back home.” I nod my head. “Are you okay?” He asked when a tear ran down my cheek. I wiped it away quickly. I realized my eyes were probably puffy as hell. I nod my head again.
“Wanna talk?” I shook my head no. He didn't say anything else for awhile, I'm glad he didn't. I really didn't want to discuss my problems with a random stranger, no matter how nice he was. I finish the milkshake and got up to leave. “Want me to give you directions?”
“Ugh, yeah, sure.”
Aiden left out with me and I walked to my car. He pulled out a map from his car and walked over to me. He began telling me several directions to go that would lead me to the shopping mall and from there I told him I'd find my way. He smiled, “You really should comeback and try the pecan pie, best ever. Oh and the doubledecker steak burgers are to die for.”
“You don't say?” After a pause I tell him, “Maybe I'll come back tomorrow. And I'll give you those five bucks I owe ya.”
“You don't owe me a thing.” He smiled as I got in my car. I rolled the window down. “Well I'll be here after seven tomorrow evening. See ya then?”
“Yeah, maybe.” I told him.
He waved to me as I drove off blasting “Death on Two Legs.” I wiped the back of mt hand over my cheek, tears had begun flowing yet again.

Chris wasn't home, no surprise there. He was probably out screwing some shank or something. He assumed I didn't know about his infidelity. Madison was sitting in the living room. I had saw her car out front.
“Hey Maddie” I said as I entered the house and found her sitting in the living room.
“Hey baby sis.”
She stood up as I sat down in arm chair and moved to stand in front of me. Her doe eyes were stern and I knew she was here to set me straight. Oh boy.
“Chris called me. Said you had ran out, left your phone and he hadn't known where to look or if you had....” Her voice trailed off but I knew just what she was going to say.
I blew my bangs out of my eyes with a huffed breath. “Maddie I'm fine.”
“No Dylan you're not. Less than a week ago you tried to overdose on pills.”
“Like you care.” I said under my breath.
“What? What was that?” She moved closer to me. I felt myself becoming defensive. She knelled down and took my hands in hers.
“I love you. Chris loves you.” I rolled my eyes, there were things she didn't know about Chris. She continued, “Mom lo-”
I cut her off, “Don't even say mom.” I stood up, knocking her hands away and went to look out the window, my back to her.
“Chris is so worried.”
“Yeah so worried he was too afraid to run after me because heaven forbid the neighbors know we were fighting. Oh I wonder what they thought when the ambulance came and wheeled me from here.”
Even though I wasn't facing her I knew she was frowning. “Dylan, no matter how old you get you're the same. Such a child.”
“Go home, run and tell Chris I'm here or whatever. I don't care, just go.”
“I'm only trying to help.”
I turned around to face her, my voice rising in volume. “Well I don't need it.”
“Dill. You're not a child anymore. You're twenty one now, a married woman. It's not just about you anymore.”
I didn't respond. She grabbed her jacket and began walking to the front door but stopped. She didn't turn around as she asked, “Why did you do it?”
I stood there staring at the back of my sisters head until she turned her bright eyes on me, tears were falling.
“Tell me something Dylan.”
You wouldn't understand.”
We stood staring at each other until I walked pass her and into the kitchen. I heard the door close a minute later.