Shadow in Time

Misconceptions

There are many misconceptions about me and the nature of my work. I suppose I can thank the media for that. Among those misconceptions are the beliefs that I hate all colors besides black, that I enjoy my job, and that I feel no remorse for ousting the inner light that shines through one’s eyes.

I don’t actually like the color black, you know. I am quite fond of vibrant colors like lime green, hot pink, and orange. You might think I am lying to you, but death is perhaps the most honest truth. When someone is dead, it’s absolute; you can’t deny or dispute what lies cold and unresponsive right in front of your eyes. In reality, I loathe the color black. It’s so dismal and reminds me of why I’m destined to be alone. I wish I could be cloaked in happy colors and feel the warm embrace of a loved one, but I have no loved ones. No one wants to see me or feel my presence. I understand, but I wish things were different.

As for my job, ripping the souls out of someone’s deteriorating body is not my idea of a marvelous time. I hate entering the personal space of the dying, undetected, just to remove them from those they love and who share the same affection for them. Sometimes, my victims put up a struggle or they come quietly just like snowflakes that fall lightly on the cold hard ground. Occasionally, people make my job easier; they come to me with weapon in hand, pills in their mouth, or a noose around their neck.

If there is nothing that I hate more than the misconceptions that people have developed about me, it’s seeing the light leave someone’s eyes. Blue, green, brown, hazel, or artificially colored, all eyes lose their luster all the same. Forgive me for my morbid sense of humor, but I have likened to calling myself “the electrician that no one wants to call”. I feel that it’s very fitting. Keeping in touch with my inner electrician, I flick the switch that turns out the lights of all humans who have existed, that currently exist, or that will exist.

Sometimes I disgust myself. Eyes are so captivating and mysterious…but I cannot emotionally attach myself to something so ephemeral when I’m eternal. I regret that it is my job to extinguish those crystal orbs of beauty, but I have no choice.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm liking this so far :) It's a bit eerie and haunting but I'm pretty proud of it. Don't hesitate to share your thoughts, I'd love to hear them!