Status: Changed the story line a bit. New Preface.

Winter's Tears

The soft caress of feathers brushing against another, each sinuous curve - of the wings themselves- were sensitive and elegant. As they arched up over the taunt curve of his back, her eyes trailed along the expanse watching as his muscles lifted the heft weight of the wings themselves. They cast a shadow over the cliff face, the shadow itself cast by the moon that hung in the starless night. She could almost taste the moonlight on her skin, the white light illuminating the scene before her in an enchanting light.

The shadow a silhouette of the creature before her. He was beautiful, impossibly so. With the unforgettable planes of his face, the artistic edge to his flawless completion. His broad protective shoulders set the start to his magnificent torso. But his figure didn't captivate her nearly as much as his eyes did. Livid like a summer storm as they shone with every shade of grey, flecked with silver and intertwined with slithers of gold.

The shade of his wings an impossible midnight. The shade so dark they seemed to absorb light itself in a way that didn't taint their obvious glory. She ached to touch them, her fingers itching to feel the softness she knew they'd hold, within her own grasp.

In a single movement -one she missed as she had become lost in his gaze alone- she was in his arms. His hands pulling her against him as he let her feel each curve of his statue, like torso. One taunt, lean muscle after the next. His forehead brushed against hers as he murmured unintelligible soothing words, in a voice that surrounded her in an embrace just as intoxicating as the one he currently held her in.

His strong arms, closed around her like iron bars, protecting her from anything outside of the bubble he had created for them with those remarkable wings. The very tips brushed down her spine, sending a shiver rolling through her.

"Winter." He breathed along the curve of her neck, the sound full of anguish. A sound that pulled at her, her angels shouldn't be sad.

'Shhh, its okay.' She wanted to let herself say, she would say anything to comfort him. But the words couldn't cross her lips.

She felt a tremor pass through him, one that echoed through his wings. Almost whimpering as he pulled back slightly, she needed his touch it was a craving, an uncontrollable need.

His capable hands cupped her face as he bent his head down, resting his forehead against hers. His cool breath crossing his marble lips as they caressed her cheeks.

"Winter, I need you to do something for me." His words a breath against her face.

'Anything.' She promised silently, still her voice remained just out of reach.

"Tell me where you are?" He begged, that anguish was back in his voice. His eyes held that same anguish, although it almost made her gasp in shock. It was bottomless, it rocked her to her core. He was in agony and it shock her, jolted something.

"No!" He roared, his hands cupping her face still, as fear laced those empowering eyes. "No, stay with me Winter. Where are you?!"

She tried to hold on, her fingers latching onto his forearms as she struggled to stay. The more she thought about the answer to his question the more it all fell apart. It was too late. The image was shattering. All around them the colour was bleeding out, leaking around them.

'Don't leave me. 'She begged silently, as he gathered her in his iron arms. But already his touch was nothing more than a memory of what it had been moments ago.

The edges of his wings faded as she was pulled out of his embrace. She screamed, the sound clearing her delicate throat when her voice had not. And ripping apart the rest of the image. Shattering his face into tiny fragments, as she sobbed for him to return.

The fear was back, and with it the cold hands of darkness and destruction.

The darkness he had chased away returned and her angel, in one final piece was taken away by their horrifying hands.

She was left alone, terrified in the darkness that plagued her. Shadows danced across her vision as they barked their cold and menacing laughs. She sank to her knees on the once grass topped cliff as it all faded, even the memory of her angel.

***