Status: Changed the story line a bit. New Preface.

Winter's Tears

The Touch of an Angel

The harsh florescent light pieced her newly opened eyes, tears sprang to the corners as the light grew more evasive.

Hands shoving her down as she tried to sit up, their touch lined with the smooth and impersonal touch of the gloves.

She forced her sore eyes to take in the room, every detail that could be taken she took. After a moments of intent study she realised where she was.

She screamed out. The sound ripping against her unused vocal cords. The sound raspy and broken.

No! She silently begged not again, she couldn't go through this again.

But the continued with their preparations, remaining indifferent to her cries.

Fear was racing through her mind, uprooting every logical thought as she yanked her right hand up to enclose around a passing nurses wrist.

She begged her with her tear drenched eyes for a saviour.

The nurse screamed in fear and a team of guards descended on her as they fought to get her hand back in its iron restraints.

She caught a glimpse of two circle indentations on the inner side of her palm. Two perfect circles, one lager and thicker than the other. Stronger where's the slender one was broken, fragmented.

With the circles in her palm she was filled with something else. Something that shook the hold of the fear that had gripped her.

And strangely she smelt the woodsy smell of an open fire, and the scent of a field, that would dance in the wind. She closed her eyes and treasured the fragrances as they over rode the harsh smell of chemicals in the air.

She closed her palm around the circles just as she felt the sticky pads be pressed to her temples.

She focused away from them, and the silence that hushed over the room. The steady whirl of the machines and instruments.

She focused on the rings, and the warm touch that spread through her palm. As if she enclosed her hand around another being.

But this being wasn't human. No, she felt the glory under their skin. The brilliance and goodness that expanded and stretched under her touch.

She almost smiled as she grew numb. She didn't feel her mind being burnt and singed as currents of electricity where pushed through the fragile fibres of her brain. As her body twitched grew rigid with its movements.

She remained numb as if she was being touched by an angel.

Her angel.

* * *

He cried out in agony as he felt a pain he hadn't felt in centuries. It ripped through his mind, as if bolts of lightening were being pushed through his mind.

He was knocked to his knees, as he rose his left hand to clutch at his head.

He forced his body to obey him and not the tremors that ran through him.

His right hand clasped around the rings, the metal remaining whole against his impossible strength.

Crying out again as he was hit with another, higher voltage.

He fell to his hands, his left hand just stopping him from falling in a heap as he was bowed against the electricity that poured through him.

Through Winter.

His shoulders grew taunt as tremor after tremor was forced down his body. His muscles fighting against the movement that was not his own.

He tasted blood on the folds of his lips, the copper taste crossing his tongue in a sharp wave.

Somewhere in the back of his mind he knew that this wasn't normal. These voltages where unheard of in human treatments.

No, they had based the power on trial and error.

And this could be enough to kill her.

He cried out in rage as another wave shook him through Winter. His left arm giving way, he slid to the floor. As he clutched as his head, his nails digging into his temple.

He shoved against the waves of electricity with everything that he had. Forcing it to only pass through his mind, not sink in its destructive claws.

After a moment, a long moment where he continued to wage an unseen battle. The waves were cut off.

He felt the tension leave him in a single breath.

He didn't move, he let his body heal as he struggled to hold a thought.

The electricity was controlled, it wasn't a lightening strike.

No, someone was deliberately shocking her with bolts of electricity.

It filled him rage, he tasted its bitter after tasted across his tongue.

Someone was hurting her on purpose.

He rose to his feet with shaky movements, his back and muscles ached with a dull pain as he felt something else click in his exhausted mind.

He had a starting point. Something new to go from.

He was one step closer to finding her.

His angel.