Status: Changed the story line a bit. New Preface.

Winter's Tears

Desperate Concentration

Winter was again locked in the room of darkness. Not even a flicker of light illuminated the room. The darkness was whole and chilling. Every muscle ached with a dull ache that inhabited her limbs.

She lay on her side, the sheet that held the faint scent of bleach pulled up around her. Her left index finger traced the indentations of the rings. Even when she thought they should have faded, they remained. Their mark somehow comforting.

She shouldn't be awake. She shouldn't be alive. The thought held little fear, only wonder. She hadn't feared death in years, it only made her curious. After all death couldn't be any worse than the life she was currently living.

But she had felt the electricity pass through her, the volts passing through the delicate tissues of her brain. Singing and burning as they went.

It should have killed her.

But in those moments she had felt no pain. Hadn't smelt the disgusting scent of burnt flesh. She had smelt freedom, and the familiar scent of an open field and a summer storm, mixed with the essence of a man.

She had felt his touch in her hand. His own strong fingers clasping the rings as she did.

The sudden rush of safety that came from his touch.

She wondered if she had in fact finally lost it. But even her active and vivid imagination couldn't conjure something so real, something she could hold onto. Her imagination had never been able to save her, it had only provided a much needed escape.

But the touch had saved her. His invisible hand had held a power, she could feel simmering under the membranes of his skin. She could feel the warmth of skin on skin contact. Something she hadn't felt in years. Only the cool touch of a gloved grasp.

Need stirred within her, a raging need to feel his touch. To feel his presence within her mind. Fresh tears washed across her cheeks as she tucked herself into a tighter ball. Letting her arms hug herself as she sobbed silently.

Winter had felt his glory, his unrelenting power. A power she craved, as with that kind of power he could reach her. She tightened her right hand into a fist around the rings, her short nails biting into her palm hard enough to draw blood.

But no matter how much time passed, she couldn't find him. Couldn't conjure that link that had led her to him before. Her mind remained free of his comforting touch regardless of how hard she concentrated, how hard she begged.

Eventually, her body grew too tired. Exhaustion setting into her tortured muscles. She let her now dry eyes close as she surrendered to sleep.

But just before the darkness too her, she smelt a summers storm rolling across the hills, the fragrance of both life and dangerous power. And his rich voice, that wrapped around her in an iron and protecting embrace.

"Sleep Winter, my Angel."