Status: Changed the story line a bit. New Preface.

Winter's Tears

The Angel of Mercy

Soft light, enchanted by the stage between day and night with its delicate and soft hues- lit up the horizon. He let his eyes draw to a close as the faint breeze that held notes, fragrances of the ocean and the metallic edge of minerals brushed against his extended wings. Their span caressed by the soft touches of such a breeze.

Amongst such earthly fragrances was something not of this world. The tastes of immortality, of Glory and power. Such an essence encased in the energy of healing, cast by the Throne himself.

Rapheal. The message travelled any distance with little to no effort, as he reached out to the Archangels mind.

Brother, it’s been too long. The subtle changes in the wind, a warning before he touched down beside him. Rapheal his brother stood beside him, his own wings careful to avoid his. Where's Rapheals wings were pure ivory laced with etchings of the finest white gold's, his were the colours and shades of the night.

Rapheal, the Archangel of healing stood beside him for the first time in centuries.

What do you want of me. Brother. Lifting his chin to the sky, his eyes remaining closed as he drew his wings safely behind his back once more.

"For you to come back to the Cadre Rahmiel." Rapheal's words spoken aloud, in a silken tone. The timbre of his voice holding hundreds of notes and tones rang through the early evening. Rahmiel winced at the use of his name and he felt his fingers ball into a fist at his side.

"I can't do that brother."

Rapheal held his own wince of weakness at his brother's tone as it crossed the folds of his brothers lips. Where's Rapheals was laced with the power of healing, of white energy. Rahmiel voice was of the angel of Mercy. His tone full of the judgement, of accusation. Void of the love that he too had carried as an Archangel.

Rapheal turned to look at his brother. Rahmiel had been one of the strongest Archangels, as he carried both the gifts of Mercy and Love. The Cadre had made a horrible mistake in breaking their brothers love forcing him to hold the act of Mercy without the love that had sustained him through the millenniums.

Rahmiel opened his eyes once more as he felt his brothers gaze. Turning to meet it, he held his chin a little higher as he spoke, his words laced in a barely contained rage.

"Humans have her Brother."

Rapheal studied his brother for a long moment before he spoke having no illusions of the 'her' he spoke of. "Humans have always had her Ramiel."His tone carefully controlled.

"No. Not like this. They're experimenting on her, trying to find out what she is. Or supress it." Rahmiel's eyes locked on the liquid gold eyes of his brother.

"You cannot know that Rahmiel." Rapheals liquid gaze hardened into a block of cold hard steal.

"I have felt it. Felt the electricity that passes through her mind. The excruciating pain it has for a mortal." The muscles in his jaw clenching as the echo of pain found its door to torture him once more.

Rapheal sucked in a breath. "This shouldn't have happened. You know the details of her exile you can't find her." Power laced his tone as he regarded his brother. To break an act of the Cadre was to break ancient laws so ingrained amongst angel kind; there would be no help for the former Archangel.

"I haven't found her brother. But are you forgetting the details of another law?" Rahmiel tone could cut glass, ringed with the heat of rage and the malice of the betrayals of the Cadre that formed and iced edge around him.

Rapheal didn't say anything. Rahmiel could feel the faint lines of a wrong deed as the angel of Mercy. Rahmiel knew that allowing Winter to continue in the position she was in while the Cadre were knowing of her circumstances was an act of wrong against the code.

They were bound now to withdraw her from this life. Provided they could find her.

"She is amongst billions of humans. If you can find her you have the support of the Cadre to remove her from the situation. If she dies before you find her, she will continue on to the next life. If that happens the rules of the exile still apply, no contact Rahmiel." Rapheals voice holding the entire word of the Cadre as he spoke to the Angel of Mercy.

Rahmiel gave a hard cold laugh, a laugh that was calculating and broken. "Brother I can assure you if I find her I will not her go. "

Rapheal had turned to look over the cliff face, but his brothers words had him spinning towards Rahmiel. His eyes hard once more.

"You'd turn your back on your own?"

"Yes Rapheal, my own have done their best to destroy me. I will not stand amongst them anymore in light of this new development. Because you know where she is, you just won't get your hands dirty."

Rahmiel had taken a step forward, hurling the words at the Archangel before him. The rage simmering through each word before he had taken back the step and launched himself into the sky.

His wings propelling him away from his brother in a single beat. Rahmiel had meant every word, he wouldn't stand beside his own anymore not without the love he had lost.

Rapheal watched as his brother silhouette faded into the night. The rich colours of his wings, inspired by this time of night were the first to fade. He sent a message out to the Archangels to meet him knowing if they let the angel of Mercy find his love they would lose him for good.