Status: updates when inspiration and free time collide.

Said Without a Sound

The ones we trusted the most.

Two hours. Two hours just sitting there watching her sip on her coffee and listening to her sob about how tragic it was that she literally lost her only child. I had to swallow back my snide remarks and simply hand her tissues as she needed them. I felt like she just didn’t look hard enough for Gwen, that she just didn’t…care enough…

“…so, although I’ve never found her body, I’ve put up a memorial for her in the cemetery,” Mrs. Allingham finally finished her tale of woe, still sniffling.

“If you’ve never found her body, then couldn’t that mean she’s still alive, ma’am?”

“It’s been two years, Alex, I think it’s safe to say she’s dead by now,” Mrs. Allingham said rather harshly.

Gwen sighed from the seat across from me at the dining table. “Trust me, she was a lot less bitter when I was alive.”

“I’m sure,” I muttered under my breath, my comment directed to Gwen, but of course Mrs. Allingham heard that.

“Excuse me?”

“I, uh, said, I’m sure her body’s still here somewhere, ma’am.”

“Well, I wouldn’t know where else to look for it,” Mrs. Allingham said sharply, sounding on the verge of kicking me out of her house or crying or both.

I nervously licked my lips. “Mrs. Allingham, what if I told you I knew where to find Gwen’s remains?”

Mrs. Allingham’s face went completely blank and she slowly lowered her mug of coffee. “…What?”

“Gwen’s remains. If I could tell you where they are, would you be able get them?” I asked softly, trying to gauge her reaction, but I couldn’t. Gwen was staring at her mother patiently, too.

Mrs. Allingham stared at the dregs of her coffee. “How do you know where they are?”

I glanced at Gwen momentarily, who simply shrugged. I exhaled slowly. There was nothing for it. “Gwen told me where her bones are. I’ve been seeing her ghost a lot.” Gwen’s eyes went wide, but she was looking at her mother, not me.

Mrs. Allingham stared at me, her face still completely blank. “You’ve been seeing my daughter’s ghost.”

“Y…Yes.” Gwen glared at me. “Ma’am,” I quickly amended.

“My daughter’s ghost has told you where her remains are.”

“Yes ma’am.”

Mrs. Allingham leaned back in her chair and pressed a hand to her forehead, her breathing shallow now. Gwen got up and put a hand on her mother’s shoulder, which in turn made Mrs. Allingham gasp and flinch back into an upright sitting position.

“Did you feel cold all of a sudden, Mrs. Allingham?” I asked knowingly. She slowly nodded. “Gwen just touched your shoulder,” I explained. “She’s here, right now. She says hi, and that she misses you,” I continued, and it was a wonder that, even after two hours, more tears could come forth from Mrs. Allingham’s eyes.

“I did not just say that,” Gwen scoffed, folding her arms across her chest. Gwen wasn’t very fond of her parents, but Mrs. Allingham was crying now, so, anything goes. Anything to convince Mrs. Allingham that Gwen really is here. “Tell her, Lex,” Gwen said rather impatiently. “Tell her where my bones are.”

“Gwen wants you to know that her bones are at the bottom of the lake in the cemetery. She wants you to have a diver get them and have a proper funeral service and have them buried,” I told Mrs. Allingham in quite a rush, a bit nervous about the look she was giving me.

“At the bottom of the lake in the cemetery,” Mrs. Allingham repeated as she got to her feet. I stood up as well. “No, no, no, please do be seated. Thank you so much, young man. Wait here for me while I make some calls.” Mrs. Allingham disappeared into the kitchen.

Gwen took the now empty seat, so I sat back down. “Thank you,” Gwen whispered, her eyes watering as she grabbed my hand.

I smiled, trying to be happy for Gwen, but…I couldn’t. “I’m gonna miss you, Gwen,” I muttered, squeezing her hand tightly.

Gwen beamed at me and patted my cheek. “I’m sure I’ll see you on the other side, Lex. Just…not too soon, alright?”

I laughed softly, nodding. I didn’t trust my voice anymore. We sat there in silence for a few minutes, but Gwen soon frowned. “What’s wrong?” I asked worriedly, irritated that Gwen let go of my hand.

“Something’s not right,” Gwen murmured, gliding off into the kitchen. She was only gone for a few seconds, though, when she came running back. “Lex, you have to get out of here!”

“Wh-What?”

Gwen pulled me to my feet. “My mom, she called the cops instead,” Gwen informed me, her teeth gritted. “She thinks you killed me because you know exactly where my bones are…Lex, run, dammit!”

“Oh, shit,” I muttered, running for the front door, but getting cut off by Mrs. Allingham.

“And just where do you think you’re going, you murderer?” She spat, a giant kitchen knife in her hand.

“She’s crazy. She’s fucking crazy,” Gwen laughed hysterically, slapping her forehead.

“I didn’t kill your daughter, Mrs. Allingham, but everything I told you is true. That’s where her bones are. Gwen wants to rest, and I just want to help her, alright?” I said as I raised my hands in a sign of surrender. “Please put the knife down, ma’am…”

“How did you do it, hmm?” Mrs. Allingham asked, pressing the tip of the knife to my chest. “How did you kill her? Did you shoot her? Stab her? Drug her? Did you rape her beforehand?”

Gwen came up behind her mom looking absolutely furious. She tried to choke her own mother for my sake, but it didn’t really work. Gwen couldn’t grab her mom, but Mrs. Allingham certainly felt the chill of Gwen’s hands. Mrs. Allingham gasped and dropped the large knife to the ground, which narrowly missed my foot. I quickly stepped aside as she fell to a crumpled heap on the ground, trying to catch her breath again, before I sprinted for the door.

“I’m so sorry, Lex,” Gwen apologized as we ran away. “I didn’t mean for this to happen, I-I didn’t know my mom would do something like this…”

“There he is! He’s getting away!” Mrs. Allingham shrieked from her porch, pointing an accusing finger in my direction. Several policemen were already in hot pursuit…of me. Oh my god.

I had no chance. I was tackled into the grass and read my Miranda rights as I was being handcuffed, of course. “Lex, I’m so sorry,” Gwen choked out. “I’ll get you out of this, I promise. Just don’t say anything unless I’m with you, alright? We’ll prove your innocence…somehow…”
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks for reading; hope you liked it!
pardon me for the lack of updates;
i'm still trying to get acclimated to the new mibba...
it's still confusing me, but the new layout maker is the best thing EVER.
anyways, feedback would be lovely and greatly appreciated! :)