‹ Prequel: Trapped
Status: Complete. Thank you for reading. :)

Temporary

Shame Pulses Through My Heart

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Harper’s POV*^
After the doctor came out and delivered the news to us about Jimmy, and then went back with Parker, he came back out, and walked over to me.

“Please don’t tell me Zacky’s had a set-back.” I begged, and he let a light chuckle escape his lips.

“No, Ms. O’Klimin, I just came to tell you that Mr. Baker will be able to go home soon, he’s doing fine, and there’s no reason for us to keep him any longer. He’s awake, and alert, his skin has healed, and he’s perfectly fine.” I wanted to hug that doctor. I wanted to hug him and thank him a million times. But then another thought came across my mind.

“What about Matthew?” I asked and Brian and Johnny looked over at the doctor and I. We had been so worried about Zacky and Jimmy that we had nearly completely forgotten about Matt.

“He’s getting ready to be discharged as we speak.” Dr. Watts said, and I didn’t know whether to be happy that he was okay, or upset that Zacky didn’t hit him hard enough to put him in a coma. After all he did to me, I was scared of him, I knew what he could do now, I knew him better than I did before. I’ve seen the true Matthew Sanders, and I don’t like it one bit.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
Soon Matt came out, looking like hell, but seeming to be fine, and Zacky was right behind him. I ran towards Zacky, nearly knocking him over as I wrapped my arms around him and kissed he cheek.

“You’re not dead!” I smiled, and he kissed me on the lips.

“And you haven’t killed Johnny yet.” He chuckled, wrapping his arms around my waist, and I heard Johnny begin protesting in the background, but he was quickly silenced by Brian.

“I missed you.” I said quietly and he sighed.

“I missed you too.” He kissed me on the lips again, his snakebites cold against my skin.

“Promise never to turn into a zombie again?”

“God that was horrible. I need to apologize to Jimmy sometime for biting him. I hope he’ll be okay…” Zacky trailed off, and I hugged him close.

“He’ll be fine. Nothing can bring him down.” I said and Zacky smiled lightly.

“Time to get home.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
Before we left I went back and got Kellin from Parker, trying not to let my heart break at the thought roaming my head of the doctors not being able to save Jimmy. But I walked back out to the waiting room with Kellin, wondering how Zacky and I would take care of him. Brian said he was going to take Matt home, and then come back, and Johnny volunteered to take Kellin home, and keep an eye on him. I was hesitant about handing my sisters only and probably last child off to someone who has the brain of a toddler himself, but I wanted to spend some time with Zacky, and enjoy him still being alive, and second, neither of us knew how in the fuck to take care of a kid. Hell, we’d probably wind up losing him, and then Parker would kill both of us for losing her kid. I can already imagine Zacky saying, “Shit, Harper, where did you have him last?! If Parker finds out we lost her kid she’ll kill us both!’ So I let Johnny take care of him, and Zacky and I went home, and straight to bed, both of us completely exhausted from the long emotionally and physically tiring day.

“I never want to live another day like today.” Zacky mumbled, his arms wrapped around me. I nodded.

“Me either. These past two days have been horrible.” I muttered, feeling emotions seep back to me from everything that’s happened. Zacky moved his hand, and it brushed by the bruise on my arm. The bruise from last night; the one in the shape of Matt’s hand. He noticed my small flinch and lifted my arm, and pushed my sleeve up. He traced his fingers gently along the dark purple mark, and I pulled my arm from his grasp.

“I swear Harper, I’ll never let Matt hurt you again. I promise on my soul I never will.” Zacky said, bringing his hand up to caress my cheek, and I held back the tears.

“Zacky,” I started looking at him with hurt in my eyes. “I’m scared of him.” I whispered, and he pulled me close as those damn tears started racing down my face.

“I’m so sorry that happened.” Zacky whispered as I rested my head on his chest.

“It wasn’t your fault.” It wasn’t his fault at all. “You couldn’t have done anything to stop him. He was drunk and relentless.”

“He had no right to do that to you, Harper.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
The next day Zacky left to go make sure Johnny hadn’t hurt Kellin, and that everything was fine, and I stayed back at home, though now, as I stand in the doorway looking at Matt in complete horror, I wish I had gone with Zacky. I went to slam the door, but Matt shoved his foot in the gap, preventing me from closing the door.

“Harper, please, please let me in.” He begged, his voice became hurt, and I hesitantly and slowly opened the door.

“What do you want?” I asked, and he sighed and looked around.

“Can I come in?” He asked, and I reluctantly let him in, and I sat down on the couch a good few feet away from him. “Harper, you have to believe me when I say I would never hurt you.” He went to grab my hand, but I jerked it back, causing a wave of pain to wash over his face.

“Matt. What you did isn’t going to be solved with a few simple words.” I whispered. “I don’t even like being around you anymore. I feel like you’re going to snap and hurt me.” I admitted, unknowing to where the courage came from.

“I know, and I’m sorry.” He looked back up at me. “But I would never intentionally hurt you Harper. Never. I love you.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Matt’s POV*^
I was ashamed, I was sick at my stomach, I was upset, and hurt. She never is going to view me through the same eyes again, not in this lifetime.

“What I did is unforgivable, and I realize that, I’m not asking you to forgive me, I just want you to not be afraid of me. I’d never lay a finger on you.” I whispered, and she looked down, and I could see she was fighting tears. I was too. To know that I could never hold her, and kiss her anymore, that hurts. But I don’t want her to be afraid to be around me. I’m not a violent person with her, I may have used to be, but not anymore. I love her, and I’d rather die than hurt her. She’s my life. “I’m sorry.”

“How do I know it will never happen again? You’re unpredictable, and you have anger issues, and now apparently drinking issues too.” She said, and rolled up her sleeve, revealing a large bruise that wrapped around her forearm. I gently placed my hand on it, finding it fit perfectly. She flinched slightly, and I took my hand away.

“I don’t even remember…” I didn’t know what to say. I hurt her. I really hurt her. But I didn’t mean to, I never meant to hurt her, I never want to hurt her. She’s been ripped apart by this. By my actions. By me; by my own bare hands.

“I wish you did, maybe then you’d feel my pain.” She muttered, wiping her eyes as she brought her sleeve back down.

“Do you want me to stay away, and never see you again?” I asked, hoping she would say no, but she slowly nodded. I stood up. “If that’s what you want, then…” I trailed off, my voice almost silent. I leaned down and kissed her lips, feeling slightly better when she didn’t flinch, or try and push me away. “I’m sorry,” I struggled to keep the tears back. “And I love you.” I whispered, seeing the hurt in her eyes as I stood up straight. If she doesn’t want to see me anymore, if she wants me to stay away, then I can at least do that for her. I at least owe her that much for all of the hell I’ve put her through.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Harper’s POV*^
I let Matt kiss me, but I wasn’t sure why.

“I’m sorry,” He paused, his eyes getting watery. “And I love you.” He stood up straight and left. I hated watching him walk out of that door, but I also loved it. I wouldn’t have to be afraid anymore, something in my heart told me that. But something also told me that I may actually never see him again. He did love me, but he still hurt me. I didn’t like him anymore, not like I used to, at least. He’s changed for the worst. He’s changed into something nor me, or any of the guys have seen before in him. We’ve seen the anger, and dealt with it firsthand, but we’ve never seen this indescribable side of Matt before.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Matt’s POV*^
I locked the front door, the back door, and then walked upstairs to my bedroom, where I retreated under my bed, crawling over to the corner. It seems the only place I can ever find any peace is under here. It’s quiet, it’s dark, no one can really find you, and it’s the perfect place to break down and start crying your eyes out. I’ve lost Harper; I have a reason to bawl my eyes out until they start bleeding. She gave me a reason to wake up in the morning, a real reason to get up, and go down stairs and put a pot of coffee on, and sit through the day. Just as long as I could see her face, I was okay. I was whole, I was invincible. I promised myself I would never hurt her, or let anyone hurt her. I broke that promise though. I broke my own promise that I made to myself. I hurt her, I’ve scarred her, and she never wants to see me again. She hates me now, meaning I have no one left, because all of my friends know what I’ve done, and they hate me just as much. Hell, I hate myself for doing that to her. She can go on with life without me, because she has Zacky, but I can’t go on without her. She was my everything.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
^*Harper’s POV*^
Zacky came back, and I was curled up on the couch, trying not to cry. I lost Matt. He was gone, and I was almost positive I would never see him again. Something kept screaming at me that he was sorry, that he never meant to hurt me, and that I should go after him, but then there was a louder voice celebrating the fact that he was out of my life. I walked over to Zacky as he took his jacket off, and I wrapped my arms around him, never wanting to let go.

“Harp, you okay?” Zacky asked, and I nodded, looking up at him and smiling lightly.

“Now that you’re back, and not turning into a flesh eating monster anytime soon, I’m fine.” I said, and kissed him. Zacky’s the person I’m supposed to be with, not Matt. I love Zacky, and nothing was and is going to change that. I pulled away and rested my head on his shoulder. “I love you, Zacky.”

“I love you too. Is there a reason that you’re suddenly clinging to me like I’m the last person on earth?” He asked, humor slipping into his voice.

“Not really.” I said with a joking tone, and he kissed the tip of my nose. I may never be on good terms with Matt again, but I’ll always have Zacky. I’m sure of that. He’ll never leave me, he’ll never hurt me, and he’ll always keep me safe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to all of the readers, subscribers, and special thanks to the commentors:

shortygirl
a7x_foREVer12
NME_foREVer_6661

Oh. Yea. Love you too, Shannon.

...But not near as much as Johnny loves you.

xoxo, Saleigh