Status: Complete

Safer to Hate Her

I've Been Smiling Like This For Days

Rupert exited the room with a grey look on his face and instantly her smiled dropped.

“Did you not get it?” She walked over to him and tried to comfort him.

“No, I got it!” Jersey hit him on the shoulder before hugging him tightly. They pulled away from each other when somebody coughed behind them, signalling that they wanted their attention.

He was a middle aged man, and he looked very unkempt. He offered his hand to Rupert and introduced himself, “Miles Walsh, I’ve been asked by the company to represent you on media matters, I was hoping that we could take ten minutes to go over what will happen in that regard.”

Rupert nodded, stunned. This was all new to him, but because he wanted this so much, he knew that he had to do as he was told as he was getting the kick start he needed in his career.

Turning to Jersey with an apologetic look, he flashed a rueful smile. Jersey, shook her head, smiling, “Go! It’s fine. I understand.”

He kissed her quickly on the lips and followed his “agent” through the doors as they walked together to the coffee shop. Rupert looked back at the building to see Jersey walking away, hands in her pockets looking at the ground. He sighed and turned round; he hadn’t meant to leave her to walk alone. Why do good things that happen always have to be so complicated?

Not bothering to order anything as they got inside, they took a seat at the nearest available table. Miles pulled out various papers out of his tatty, old briefcase. Rupert wondered how this guy had managed to be hired by such a massive, global firm. Shaking the thoughts from his head, he began paying attention to what he was saying.

“… So you would need my assistance at these types of events from now on.” Rupert nodded, “and now more pressing matters, Mr Grint.”

Rupert looked up from the napkin he had pulled apart, “there sure is a lot to remember.”
Miles let out a forced laugh, “that’s showbiz, kid.” He wiped his mouth with his sleeve and continued talking, “now, obviously with you taking on this role which hasn’t been played too well, let’s be honest. You will have a very high status in the media world, they’ll be magazines, so don’t talk to them without my go-ahead.”

Rupert couldn’t believe that there was so much to do in acting. He just wanted to act, do his job; he didn’t want cameras following him around everywhere.

“And the last thing I need you to do,” he pushed his glasses back up to his eyes, “as your fan base will most likely be teenage girls, as a company, we have decided that it’s probably best that you didn’t have a girlfriend.”

This made Rupert pay attention, “what are you saying?”

“We’re not asking you to break up with the girl, but-“

“Jersey, her name is Jersey.” Rupert interrupted.

“Sorry, we’re not asking you to break up with Jersey; we just need you to be single in the media’s eyes.”

“I’m not sure I can do that. She means too much to me.”

“I understand that. But, there are sacrifices that you have to make in life, kid. And I’m afraid that this is one of them,” he placed his hands on the table, staring straight at Rupert.
What they were asking was completely unacceptable; people have relationships all over the world why should he be any different? Just so that he could sell a bit more merchandise, well that wasn’t him.

Rupert stood up from the table, scraping the chair across the floor intently, “I’m sorry, but I won’t be able to do that.”

Miles grabbed Rupert’s arm and stopped him from walking out, “you know, kid, if you leave now then say goodbye to a career in acting.”

How could they possibly be asking him to do this? There was no chance of him leaving her, but, he’d finally got the big chance he was looking for, he couldn’t just throw this away like this.

“Fine, I’ll do it. But, I’m not happy about this.”

“You just got to accept some things. Right, I’ll schedule you two appointments this Wednesday for press releases. I’ll send you the information.” Miles held out his hand, “Good to meet you, kid.”

Rupert mumbled and walked out of the coffee shop. How was he possibly going to tell Jersey about this? It would break her heart, and he would not be responsible for breaking her again. He thought about it all the way home, as he walked in to his house he walked straight up the stairs to his room, completely ignoring his mother.

Sitting down on this bed he ran a hand over his face, what had he got himself into? His phone vibrated in his pocket, Did everything go okay? I love you. He threw his phone across the room in frustration; everything was supposed to be easier now.
♠ ♠ ♠
We're in the teens! Also, this is a shortened chapter because it didn't make sense otherwise, it needed a cliffhanger-ish.
Hope you like it so far.

Thanks for commenting:
dinosaur2016
adwmagic
yellowlover777
rachelMISFIT

Next chapter is heartbreaking, see you all tomorrow. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

©BeautifullyDepressed