Status: Complete

Safer to Hate Her

Too Much, Too Much Is Never Enough

The seaside had always been the place where Jersey felt free. She had loved coming here when she was younger with her grandparents, right now she was alone. She was alone with her music and her guitar.

When she was 15, her mother had brought her to the pier and bought her a beautiful, hand-crafted vintage guitar from a small shop on the sea front. She’d fallen in love with it straight away, the way the strings didn’t match, the small cracks in the paint and the amount of memories etched into the wood. It was perfect.

From that moment on, she had spent every moment she could perfecting her guitar skills, she knew she’d never be the best, but something about playing a guitar felt natural to her.
Right now Jersey has taken her normal seat on the end of an old bench and taken out her guitar. She didn’t do this for the money, and the most she’d made from doing this was £5.40 not exactly a fortune, she did it because if she could spread even a tenth of the happiness she felt when she was playing the guitar to somebody else, then bit by bit the world would become a happier place to live in.

Many people looked at her like she was insane, as if she were a tramp begging for money. But there was a small minority who smiled at her as they passed, some people clapping and an even smaller group who sat with her and sang along.

Eventually, after a few hours, the people on the pier became fewer and fewer until she was left alone with the birds as she listened to the waves crashing behind her.

She was so wrapped up in her own world that she didn’t even notice the second guitar playing the same chords she was. And when she finally looked up she was startled to find a guy sat next to her with a grin on his lips.

“Jeez! You could have warned me you were there. Nearly gave me a heart attack!” Jersey held on to her chest, she could feel her heart beating against her hand.

“Sorry, love. Couldn’t help myself, not too many times in a guy’s life where he can play guitar with a pretty girl,” he smirked at her again.

“Well, next time, instead of nearly sending me to an early grave, please warn me.” She laughed with him.

“So there’s going to be a next time?”

Jersey blushed, she hadn’t meant for it to sound like that at all, still with her flirty nature there could only be one reply.

“Maybe, I’m here all week, same time. Must be going though…long day.” Yawning, she picked up her guitar case, the coffee she’d bought earlier and began making her way back to the bus stop.

As she was walking she could hear footsteps behind her, “Wait!”

Jersey turned around; the sea air was blowing her hair in all directions. The guy from earlier was running towards her.

“Wow…you walk…fast.” He said whilst trying to get his breath back. “Can I have a name to put with the pretty face?”

This time his smile was smaller more sweet.

“Jersey.” She replied, putting down her guitar case and offering him her hand.

“Rupert, it’s nice to meet you Jersey.” He had a dopey smile on his face as he bent down to kiss her hand.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Yeah, tomorrow,” she whispered. “Can’t wait.”
♠ ♠ ♠
A little short, but just trying to get the story going. I would have ruined it if I carried on writing to make it longer.
I love this story already.

Much love to my subscribers.
©BeautifullyDepressed