Status: Complete

Safer to Hate Her

When We Die Do We Feel Alive?

Rupert rushed frantically into the hospital, fearing for his little family as the tears ran freely down his face. Some people snapped photos of him as they noticed who he was, part of him wanted to stop and swear at them, rip their phones from their hands and stand on them. But, he didn’t care about anything at that moment in time apart from Jersey.

Her body lay limp in his arms; she had passed out on the quick drive up here. Thinking back on his actions he knew he should have called an ambulance but his mind was all over the place.

Just after she had discovered the blood he shouted for his Mum who led Jersey into the car and placed the car keys in his hands. She quickly rushed back inside and grabbed her own set of keys, his family following behind him which he was thankful for.

Jersey was taken from his arms and he was pushed from the room after giving the Doctor some information about her and what had happened. He tried to look through the window but he was pushed out by a Nurse back into the waiting area, back into the room where everyone seemed to be looking at him whispering, “That’s that Harry Potter kid.”

Sighing after his third attempt to get into the room he walked outside of the hospital where he was met by a sea of flashes. He quickly pushed himself through them and straight to his Mother who held her boy in her arms, he was shaking from the sobs that escaped him. His tear-stained face looked up into hers helplessly, “She’s going to be okay, right?” He whispered, holding on to her tighter.

“She’s going to be just fine and your little baby too.” Mrs Grint sighed and stared at the hospital in front of them, the truth was she didn’t know if they were going to be alright but she knew that she had to be strong for them. They were only young; she was only young, she didn’t deserve all that was happening to her.

“Come on, let’s get you inside. You’re freezing.” Rupert slowly nodded and walked ahead of her his hands stuffed in his pockets. He didn’t know what to do with himself as he absentmindedly kicked a stone with his shoe. As he pushed himself through the crowd of photographers looking to make money out of what was happening in his life, he regretted every moment he had spent away from her, he should have been with her. Maybe things could have been different, and she wouldn’t be in this situation.

Mrs Grint placed a hand on her son’s shoulder, “It’s not your fault.” She whispered to him before taking a seat in the crowded room, thankful that the hospital’s security had stopped the cameras from coming in. Every time the doors would open in front of him he would glance in hope that it would be Jersey. She would be smiling at him, laughing at him for being silly and that she was fine, but each time it was a Doctor who passed without a word, not even a small, “She’ll be fine,” to calm his worries.

“Mr Grint,” Rupert looked up in the direction his name had come from, the Doctor who had taken Jersey from him stood in front of him. Rupert quickly got to his feet and shook the Doctor’s hand, “If you’d like to follow me.” Rupert nodded his head and followed after the Doctor, slowly turning his head to look at his Mother for reassurance before her face disappeared behind the door.

Rupert followed him into the room where Jersey was, her small body lay on the hospital bed. She was breathing and there were no wires going into her which Rupert was thankful for. He walked over to the bed and took her hand in his, running a hand over her stomach praying that everything was going to be okay.

“She’s had a threatened miscarriage, unfortunately something which is common amongst young mothers. Nothing to worry about, it just means she’ll have to have regular check-ups throughout the pregnancy.” The Doctor placed a hand on Rupert’s shoulder who was currently moving Jersey’s hair from her eyes.

“Many women who have suffered from this have had normal pregnancies and perfectly healthy babies. We’ll take care of her, you don’t need to worry.” The Doctor moved to the other side of the bed and took a seat in the visitor’s chair, motioning for Rupert to take a seat in the chair that had been pushed up to the bed.

“I’d normally do this chat in my office, but I know you want to stay with her.” Rupert nodded his head, words not forming in his mind as he looked over the pale face of the girl he loved so much.

“I’d just like to run through some things we’ve done so you’ll be able to explain it to Ms Hart when she wakes.” He flicked through his notes, “Which shouldn’t be too long, the pain relief isn’t too strong.”

He scribbled down a few words and looked back up to Rupert, “We’ve tested her blood and the pregnancy hormone levels are perfect, we’ve examined her cervix to check if it’s closed – which it is. So no need to worry there, sometimes these things happen and we don’t know why but all we need to worry about now is that little baby and Jersey.” The Doctor smiled before leaving the room.

“Everything’s going to be okay, Jersey.” He brought her hand to his mouth and kissed it, “We can do this.” His family quickly piled into the room along with Jersey’s grandparents who he was sure his Mother would have contacted. It must have been a shock as they didn’t know she was pregnant, they all sent Rupert smiles as he too smiled at his girl, pride etched onto all his features. He was proud of her for fighting through this and he knew that she would never give up without a fight.

Slowly as the night drew closer, his family and her grandparents had left the hospital. Rupert was staying with her until she woke up, he didn’t want her to be alone. He rested his head on the bed and closed his eyes, the day he had had tiring him as the adrenaline had left his body. Jersey slowly opened her eyes and didn’t recognise her surroundings and was slightly confused as to why Rupert was lying like that, moving her hand she ran her fingers through his hair.

Rupert jumped in surprise and looked up to meet Jersey’s eyes as she beamed down to him. It was then that she realised she was in a hospital bed and she her brow furrowed in confusion. Then it hit her: the blood and the feeling that she was passing out. Tears sprung to her eyes and she grabbed onto Rupert’s hand and pleaded him to tell her everything was fine, she closed her eyes and prayed that it would be okay.

“Everything’s fine,” He whispered as she opened her eyes, her body relaxing from the relief. He pushed himself up and sat on the bed. Jersey rested her head in his lap, gently closing her eyes as Rupert ran his fingers through her hair.

“I’ll tell you about it tomorrow, just sleep. I love you.” She smiled and relaxed, her body was tired but her mind was running. She had so many questions but she trusted him that everything was fine. Rupert gently hummed to her before her breathing slowed and he knew she was asleep. He pulled his legs up onto the bed and rested his head against the wall, closing his eyes as he fell asleep too.

A Nurse stepped into the room and smiled, leaving the extra linen and pillow on the chair where Rupert had been sitting for the past few hours. Shutting off the light and gently closing the door, “Young love.” She shook her head, laughing quietly to herself and continued to the next room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Seee, everything's fine! You got to have faith, faith, faith.

Thanks to those who commented:
dinosaur2016
rachelMISFIT

~ Hannah