Status: Active; No comments this update? Fine, I won't make another one :)

Little Red

Chapter 4

Red plunged under the surface, the cool water seeping under her skin and chilling her to the bone, through her scalp, and under her nails… She felt like a sponge, soaking it up to keep the sun from drying her out. Though it wasn’t too hot, the sun did get to her—fall was only a month away. Around mid-fall, it would begin to snow…and that’s when she had to worry about getting too cold.

She broke the surface after a few minutes, gasping for air. When she rubbed her eyes clean of the pond water, she found Oznap still on the tiny little cliff above the pond. She held her vest to her bare chest, as if trying to keep warm. “Is it cold?”

Red tilted her head to the side. “No.” Then she dove back under and opened her eyes. Colorful, florescent fish scattered the foot of the pond. Some of them she recognized—this could be a good fishing pond. She broke surface and met Oznap in the eye, “And we could catch some pretty big fish down here, too.”

“Fish?!” Oznap squealed, clutching the vest over her chest a little tighter.

Red ignored her. “You know, I don’t see why you feel you should hide your chest. Were both girls, and trust me, they’re going to get bigger.”

Oznap’s eyes widened. “Stop!” She begged.

Red laughed.

“Plus, what if a wolf were watching?” She glanced around the pond, looking through the cracks in-between the trees.

Red took a quick glance around the pond, too. “I doubt it. Plus, they’re hardly even human. It’s like having a couple of forest animals watch you. No big deal.”

“Yeah, like a little woodland animal with five-inch claws and razor-sharp teeth with bloodthirsty eyes and—”

“Who’s ever heard of a slayer afraid of what she slays?”

Oznap stayed silent, looking down at her lap, her eyes sad and stricken. Red actually felt bad. She had to have expected that reply, hadn’t she?

Red sighed. “I’m sorry. Can I tell you something?” She stretched in the water, blinking her watery eye lashes.

Oznap nodded sadly, still hurt by her comment.

“Even I get scared, sometimes. Wolves are unpredictable. Real courage isn’t facing something everybody else is fearful of, but facing something you’re fearful of.”

Oznap blinked. “You get scared?”

Red nodded.

“But…all the children…they worship you. They said you weren’t afraid of anything, that you were so brave and fearless. They even played games like… ‘Red kills the wolf’ and they pretend they’re you.”

Red blinked. Did the kids actually do that? The kids of the village usually avoided her. How could it be that they secretly adored her?

Red turned away. “You’re lying.”

Oznap didn’t get angry at her for saying she would lie. She knew Red was avoided by most, and it was hard for her to believe something so outrageous. Her mother had been respected, and she had been killed. Now that Red was following in her footsteps, it sparked something in the villagers’ eyes. They knew she would be as great as her mother once was—maybe greater.

“No, I’m not.” Oznap told her calmingly. She sat down on the little cliff, still clutching her vest to her bare chest.

Red turned and swam up to her. “Here. Let me see your hand.” A sincere tone to her usual, soothing voice.

Oznap smiled, and took her hand—

And was yanked into the water, the vest flew out of her hand and landed on the edge of the cliff, dangling in the wind.

Oznap broke the surface gasping, while Red laughed hysterically.

Oznap looked down into the water. “Eww! Fish! Let me out, let me out, let me out, let me out—” She squealed, splashing at the water with her hands.

Red laughed more. “Calm down. No need to be afraid of dinner.”

Oznap glared.

Red smiled, a glow to her vibrant green eyes. “Here, now help me catch some.”

Image

Kaige stood in front of the woods. His eyes searched silently among the branches, the bushes, the leaves, wondering how far she had gotten into the woods.

“Please be careful, Kaige!” His mother called, and he didn’t turn around. His father was there, too, but he didn’t give any words of encouragement.

Kaige didn’t turn. He simply began to walk into the dark forest, his boots silent on the leafy floor. His heart was slow, and steady, ready for even the noblest of wolves, or thieves, to jump out at him. He slowly disappeared into the trees, thinking of the possibilities.

Could Red be trying to avenge her mother?

Image

Kannon was sure to stay out of sight as the slayers entered the water. Were they planning on catching the fish with their hands? he questioned silently.

The girl with the red hair and cape was good at hiding her ears into her hair, and it seemed to work better the wetter it got.

I’ll have to catch the slayer alone, he told himself. He wasn’t sure exactly how strong they both were. He decided to go for the older one, thinking she would probably taste better.

“Here, Oznap!” The red one plunged from the surface, holding a huge, colorful catfish in her hands. It dangled in front of the other one’s face. The little one screamed and slapped it out of her hands. The older one lunged for it, but it had disappeared into the depths of the water.

“Look at what you’ve done! Now, you have to get your own dinner.” She yelled, and then swam to the edge of the water. She stepped out, and was immediately hit by cold air, making her long, red hair fly. She grabbed her cloak and wrapped it around her. She finally felt clean.

“I’m sorry, it was just so gross.” Oznap whined. “Please, can you catch me something from land that isn’t slimy or scaly?”

“I should catch you a snake.” Red snapped, and grabbed her clothes and brought them to the edge of the water. She tied her cloak so tightly around her so that no peeping tom could see through the cracks. She began to wash them, and then Oznap’s.

Using string she had gotten from the seamstress in the village, she tied one end to an oak tree, and then the other to a mulberry tree a few yards away. Red began to hang the clothes on them, not including the cloak. The wind today was perfect for drying, and so, she knew they’d dry quickly.

“Please?” Oznap begged. Red couldn’t come home with a starving little slayer girl.

“Fine.” She rolled her eyes. Uneasiness took over her senses. What if something was watching them?

This feeling that boiled in the pit of her stomach—it shook her to the bone, leaving her quivering like a leaf in the breeze. It was undeniable then—someone was watching them. But who?

“Oznap.”

Oznap froze, suddenly aware of Red’s cold, ruthless tone. “Y-yes?” She stammered.

“Stay here.”

Oznap simply nodded, and began to crawl out of the water. She slowly began to dress, silent as she could be. Red could hardly hear her breath.

Now that there was complete silence, the two both holding their breath, Red could hear the world’s heartbeat. The wind rustling the leaves—and then the shuffle of feet in the undergrowth. No, bigger than feet. Red’s eyes widened as if trying to take in the world through a bigger perspective. Someone was there—and it wasn’t human.

Red broke the silence and grabbed her clothes, still slightly damp, and began to pull them on as quickly as she could. Her eyes pierced the trees, but now, only the wind could be heard.

She looked all around, using her senses to pinpoint the sounds that escaped the forests’ mouth. Her muscles tensed, and the wind blew harder. She held her hood down before it could fly off.

Then there was a sound—a branch snapping underfoot.

Red shot off, her bow on her shoulder, a dagger in her hand, and her arrows in her quiver. The trees engulfed her, and the darkness surrounded her. The wind raced past her ears.

The footsteps—they continued, going faster and faster. Red had to push herself to her limits to keep up. She could hear the deep breathing of the creature in front of her. Why is he running from her? It’s a wolf, why would he be scared of her?

Red skidded to a halt in the middle of a grassy clearing, where elongated tree branches guarded the sun from the ground. The footsteps seemed to disintegrate into the air. Where’d it go?

Growls. They surrounded her. They came from everywhere. Glittering eyes illuminated the darkness.

Oh, god. This is a trap.

The wolves stepped out of the shadows, their bodies huge, and lithe, soft pelts. A wolf—the one she had been following stepped out of the shadows from behind her. It had a dark red pelt, it’s eyes black like glowing coals.

“Red!”

“No.” Red whispered, her chest thumping painfully. “Oznap run!”

Oznap stopped, staring at the wolves. Her eyes met Red’s, and her teeth ground together, trying to keep from screaming. The red wolf jerked around, and Oznap’s eyes widened as the wolf lunged at her.

A bloodcurdling scream filled the air. “Oznap, no!” Red screamed, she ran toward her, her dagger in her hand.

The wolf was off Oznap in a mere second, and it snapped at her with its huge teeth. Red yanked back, and slashed her dagger toward its muzzle.

Red brought her body around, and she kicked at him. It hit it square in the chest, but it didn’t stall her any time to recuperate. The wolf brought itself up on its hind legs, and it crashed down on her.

She had her bow in her hands before she could hit the ground, and she held it in front of her. It pressed its neck to the bow, trying to snap at her face. It took all her strength to fend it off.

“Oznap, run! Now!” She screeched.

Oznap took off.

The wolf on her lifted its head and began to bark orders. About three of the wolves took off after Oznap.

“No!” Red pummeled its belly with her feet. The wolf howled and lifted itself off her. She took in the sweet, glorious air. She could finally breathe.
Red struggled to her feet and took off in the direction the little slayer went. “Oznap! Oznap, hold on, I’m coming!”

The wolf’s feet pounded behind her, getting closer and closer.

He’s going to catch up to me!

Red jerked to a stop, and turned. She ripped a bow from her quiver and placed it in her bow. She pulled it back, and let go.

She turned and began to run again, taking a look behind her.

The wolf caught the arrow in-between its teeth, and snapped it in half.

“No…” She whispered. Nothing was working. She sped through the trees. She called out again. “Oznap!”

The wolf was gaining up on her. Faintly, she could hear Oznap’s reply in the distance. “Red!”

Red stumbled.

Her heart crawled into her throat, and she choked on dirt. “No…Oznap!” She coughed. This was it. It’s over. She was going to die, and Oznap might, too.

“Oznap!” She screeched, but this time, there was no reply.

The wolf was behind her. It growled viciously, and stepped over her. It’s warm breath washed over her neck, giving her chills.

I’m sorry I couldn’t get to you, grandmother.

I’m sorry I couldn’t save you, Oznap.

I’m sorry I couldn’t avenge you before I died, mom.


All her last regrets hung in the air around her, suffocating her. She was going to die, never getting to do the things she had wanted, no, needed, to do.

The wolf bent down and wrapped its teeth around her neck. She gasped as they dug farther and farther, her warm insides sliding down her skin.

And then there was a darkness. An everlasting darkness.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been a while. Here you go.

commentXsubscribe