Status: Active

If I Was Young, I'd Flee This Town. I'd Bury My Dreams Underground.

Three

I rolled down the window and let the gentle breeze generated by the car's movement muss up my wavy blonde hair. The sensation of the warm sunshine and cool breeze on my skin gave me the feeling that I was finally free. Free from Blaine, free from my parents, free from everything...

"So, where are we headed first?" Zach asked softly as he drummed his fingers on the steering wheel, bringing me back to reality. Which was, at the moment, much better than my dreams.

"Hmm... I don't know. Why don't we just get on the highway and take the... sixth exit?" I smiled. I'd always considered six to be my lucky number.

"Alright, sounds fine to me," Zach replied smoothly as he rolled down his window, laughing. "No matter which exit we take, we'll be getting out of Santa Fe, which is good enough for me." His laugh, like his singing and speaking voices, had a naturally enchanting quality to it that I would gladly listen to all day if I could. I smiled brightly as I turned my attention back to the scenery passing by. Seeing that Santa Fe was pretty much behind us, I breathed a sigh of relief.

Once Zach guided our car onto the highway, he set the cruise control to a proper speed and picked up his ukulele. He placed his feet on either side of the steering wheel as he began to play, beautifully as always. "Stop that, you're melting my soul," I joked.

He shrugged but continued playing. "I try," he joked back with a smile. "Are you counting exits? I forgot entirely."

"No, I forgot too. You distracted me with that damn ukulele." Even though it was lighthearted, the curse word felt awkward on my tongue. I generally kept profanities in my brain rather than saying them.

Zach set the ukulele back down and thought for a moment. "Well, then, we're taking... this one. See, there's a six in it." He put his hands back on the steering wheel, smiling as he took the exit.

"Do we even know where this exit is taking us?" I laughed. My laughter ceased abruptly - as we drove down the winding exit ramp, I could've sworn I saw Blaine's car in the rearview mirror.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's kinda short. Credit to the ever-amazing Dr. Seuss for my use of part of his quote: "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." ♥