Like Nails On a Chalkboard

Freshman Friday

I walked through the silent halls of the big school building. I was late, obviously, but schools are never this silent. I'm also new. I moved here from Georgia and it is completely different. I'm not expecting to be liked, but I do expect some respect. It's the least they can give me, right?

I got to a big wooden door and decided to knock. It's something I do. The door started opening slowly and a tall man with thick framed glasses stood in front of me.

"You are late!" he yelled in a French accent. He pointed his finger at me and I looked at it as if a bullet where to escape. "But come in," he finished.

I walked in front of the intimidating crowd and sat myself down next to a blonde with blue eyes. It's not healthy to sit beside someone so gorgeous. It only makes me look like a rotten pineapple next to a beautiful dark red apple.

She glared at me and went back to her text book, shoving her lips into her sweatshirt's sleeve. I'm accustomed to stare at something that catches my eye. This girl is not the ordinary Georgia born girl, she's a creature. She looks innocent but you could tell she's onto something. She might just be another bully.

"Do you have a starring problem, eh?" she asked me and I snapped out of my day dream.

I shook me head and looked at the small desk that I now share with a girl who happens to hate me.

"You're Sierra, right?" the professor asked me.

I smiled and nodded.

I heard some words coming from a girl who sat behind me. I already had one enemy, I didn't need another. So I pretended that I didn't even hear. All I heard was beat, dead, and blood.

I guess I should remember that I'm not in America anymore. They might all be secret murderers. I giggled at my thoughts and the teacher's head turned. I put my head down once more. Or they can be talking about something that they happen to be learning.

A book slamming on my desk scared away my thoughts.

I looked up at a student who was at least 6'4 and my eyes widened. He walked away, his soft black hair swaying in the air, and sat next to a girl who quickly put her arms around him. He looked at me and glared.

~

"Where are you going? You're a junior, remember?" a girl yelled towards me. She grabbed me by my arm and pulled my out the door.

People were yelling at a group of kids in French. It was ideal of my parents to move me to a place that has a language I don't know. I moved closer and went through the crowd that yelled at the kids.

Blood is what I saw. Kids covered in blood. Some of them screamed for help. I stood there, not knowing what to do.

"Stop!" I yelled. Everyone turned towards me with a confused look. But that same tall guy who slammed the book on my desk looked at me.

"Why are you interrupting you foreigner!?"

"Leave them alone. Why are you doing this?"

He laughed. Soon his laugh echoed throughout everyone's lips, "It's Friday,"

"What do you mean?"

"Every Friday we chose a new group of Freshman to pick on. Haven't you heard of it?"

"If you mean Freshman Friday, then you must know that it only happens once in the beginning of the year,"

"Welcome to France, my dear."

He turned back to the kids and started throwing small rocks at them. They screamed with every hit.

"Stop it I said!"

He sighed and looked up.

"What is your problem?"

"Don't hurt them,"

"Would you like to sit with them? Because there's room for one more,"

Two boys started pushing me in. I tried pulling myself back but couldn't stop them. I felt a small rock hit my arm and I let out a scream.

"Leave her," someone said. I looked up and it was the same blonde girl from earlier. "She doesn't know the rules yet. Let these children go to their dorms."

All the blood covered teens ran away and I sat there, rubbing my arm. They all smiled and walked away one by one.