Status: Formally A Year With Draco. Finished, Just posting :)

A Rose by Any Other Name

Dinner

“We're at the station. Come on let's go.” Rose said.

She, Draco, Cammie, and Blaise all got into one of the horseless carriages and were pulled up to the big castle. Once they got there they went straight to the Great Hall, as did the other students. They walked over to the Slytherin table.

“ROSE!” Rose turned around. She saw Cammie waving her hand for her to come over. She hadn’t realized she’d stopped earlier down the table.

“Uhh, Draco it looks like I have to go.”

“Yeah, cool. I’ll see you in the Common Room.”

“Yeah. See ya.” She turned and walked towards Cammie and her other friends.

“Hey, Rose. So do I already sense a little love in the air between you and Mr. Stud?”

“What? No, we’re friends.”

“Yeah, okay.”

“Oh my gosh. You are exactly like Blaise.”

“Meaning?”

“He said the exact same thing. He thinks I like Draco.”

“Because it’s probably true.”

“It’s not.”

“Okay” Just then Dumbledore walked up to the podium and motioned to Professor McGonagall that she could start the sorting.

She did.

The hat did its little saying thing and Professor McGonagall started saying names of little first years. Once the sorting was finished Dumbledore said his little speech about staying out of dangerous places and stuffs. Then he allowed the feast to begin.

“Are you sure you don’t like him?”

“Positive.”

“Are you sure he doesn’t like you?”

“No, why?”

“Because he’s staring at you right now.” Rose turned and looked at Draco, who as Cammie said, was looking right back at her. He turned away quickly. He hoped she didn’t think of him as a stalker. Rose turned back to Cammie.

“Oh my gosh.” was all Rose said. She and Cammie ate the rest of their dinner in silence. Rose, every now and then glanced over at Draco to see if he was still watching her. And he was most of the time.After dinner, Cammie and Rose walked back to the Common Room together, barely speaking.

“Are you sure?” Rose asked.

“Sure about what?”

“Draco?”

“Honey, he was staring at you all through dinner. He likes you.”

“I don’t believe you.”

***

They got to the portrait hall and walked down the stairs into the Common Room. Draco was sitting there like he was waiting for her.

“Hey, Rose. What took you so long?”

“We went the long way. What are you waiting for?”

“You. I thought we could hang out here for a while.” Rose looked confused. “But if you don’t want to I completely understand and I’ll go to my room and go to sl-”

“Draco calm down it’s fine. I think Cammie and I can hang out for a while. Right, Cammie?”

“Yeah, it’s cool.”

“Great. So what do you want to do?” Draco asked.

“I dunno. You wanted to hang out so I thought you were thinking of something in particular.” Rose said.

“No, not really I thought we could just, you know, talk.”

“Yeah okay.” Rose took a seat in the chair closest to the fire. Cammie, although she’d never forgive herself for it, sat on the couch by Draco. “So, when are the Quidditch tryouts?”

“Next week. Not that it really matters you are definitely on the team. I could never deal with all of those second years alone.”

“You’d still have Blaise wouldn’t you?” Cammie asked.

“Oh right let me repeat that: I could never deal with all those second years alone.” Rose laughed.

“Hey that’s mean!” Cammie squealed.

“Well, it’s true. Sometimes he’s just so annoying.” Just then Pansey walked into the Common Room.

“DRAKIE! I mean, Draco.”

“Pansey.” he said.

“Pansey,” Rose said getting up and walking over to Pansey, “Blaise wanted me to give this to you.” She pulled the note out of her pocket. Pansey opened the note and read it.

“WHAT?! Why would he do this to me?”

“Hey I’m sorry.” She said with a straight face and neutral tone of voice. Pansey looked at her angrily. “Really I am. Don’t let this tone of voice confuse you.” Pansey ran off leaving Rose, Cammie and Draco laughing behind her.

“What did it say?” Draco asked.

“We’re through in really big letters. Blaise broke up with her.”

“Why didn’t he just do it himself?”

“Oh you know Blaise, he’s gone back to his ‘I’m way too nervous in front of girls thing’ again.”

“You guys are really mean. What did Blaise ever do to you?” Cammie said getting up from the couch.

“Camilla, calm down. Blaise is our friend.”

“It doesn’t seem like it the way you guys talk about him like that.”

“It’s true.” Draco said. “We just like to mess with him.”

“By talking about him behind his back. You guys are such GREAT friends.” She said sarcastically then walked out of the room. Probably to go find Blaise. Rose and Draco stood in silence for a moment.

“You know we were kind of mean to him.” Rose said.

“Oh come on. He doesn’t know.”

“Not yet. But once Cammie gets to him, he will.”

“He can take it. Now can you just calm down. Come on sit down.” He pointed to the empty seat next to him on the couch. Rose sat.

“I’m going to feel so bad for him. Well I already do. I completely regret what I said.”

“Rose, he’ll be fine. He’ll go get a candy bar, eat it and be happy. Now could you please drop it? Let’s talk about something else.”

“Like what?”

“Like why do you know so much about a guy?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well remember on the train you gave Blaise candy and he calmed down. And you knew I wanted some even though I didn’t tell you.”

“Well, because I have older brothers. They used to be such pain in the necks. Until I figured out how to get them off my back. Giving them candy.” Draco looked scared.

*She has older brothers*

**Do you really like this girl?**

*Yeah, but she has OLDER brothers. Which also means they’re older than me.*

**But if you really liked her you wouldn’t let that bother you. Now FOCUS!**


“How did they bug you?” he said trying to shake off the brothers thing.

“Well, they went into my room without asking, and did a bunch of things from the “How To Annoy Your Younger Sister For Dummies” book.” He laughed. “And they always wanted to play Quidditch. That’s how I got into it. They were all stars on the Slytherin team.”

“Yeah that’s cool. So, how old are they?”

“Well, Cody, is a year older than me, he’s turning 17 next month. I told you about him and you should know him. He’s been on the Quidditch team for the past six years and he will be this year. He’s definitely gonna make it.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“One: you are Captain which automatically makes me co-captain.” He laughed.

“Oh does it?”

“Yes it does. And Two: he is the best Beater ever. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up going pro.”

“Okay.” Draco moved closer to Rose.

“And Jason and Dylan, the twins, are 18.”

“It must be cool to have siblings.”

“Not really especially when they get on your nerves.”

“That’s not what I mean. I mean, it must be cool to know that someone will always be there for you no matter what.”

“Well, when you put it that way I guess it is pretty cool. I wouldn’t know what I would do without either one of them.”

“I wish I had a brother.”

“You can have one of mine.”

“But you just said—”

“Yeah I know. But at least they would be with someone I know and trust.”

“Thanks I guess.” He hugged her. “It’s nice to know someone trusts me.” Rose pulled away.

“Don’t say that.”

“Why not? It’s probably true.”

“It’s not true. A lot of people trust you.”

“Yeah okay. Stop making this about me. We’re talking about you. When was the last time you heard from Jason or Dylan? Well with them being of age and all…”

“I don’t really know. They usually come around every month. They are, well, never mind.”

“Tell me. You said you could trust me. Are you going back on your word?”

“No, they are just working for HIM.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Rose leaned her head on his chest.

“Yeah, but it’s okay.”

“Do you worry about them at all? Wonder if they’re okay?”

“Yeah all the time. Every second of the day, I think ‘what if they’re hurt and nobody’s there to save him’ HE’d probably just leave them there to die.”

“I’m sorry.”

“But when I get sad or worried, I go find Cody. He’s going to be here this year. I always know where to find him. We are really close.”

“How so?”

“I don’t really know. I guess it was because Jason and Dylan were always running off doing everything together. We were always the ones left behind and we could always think of something to do.” Rose was more relaxed now.

“I wish it was like that with my family. It’s just me, my mum and my dad. That’s it. My mum won’t even get a dog. She says they are to dirty and smell really bad. Well, she also said I was going to turn out a good kid. Look how that turned out. I have detention almost everyday. Well, I guess she means because I’m prefect and Quidditch Captain. But look at mean now; I’m sitting here with the most beautiful girl in the school and no one’s here to see it.” Draco thought Rose would have said something so he stopped talking. No response. “Rose?” Still no response. He looked down at her. She was asleep. He didn’t want to move just in case she woke up so he took advantage of this moment and fell asleep with her in his arms.