Status: Formally A Year With Draco. Finished, Just posting :)

A Rose by Any Other Name

Promises

"ROSE!” Cammie screamed. “Wake up!”

“What?” she said hazily and breathing heavily.

“You were screaming. You were out for a long time too. I thought you were dead. It’s Monday. Good thing you don’t have class until after lunch.”

“What? What time is it?” Rose said.

“You’re not thinking of actually going down to the lake to see Draco, are you?”

“Yeah I am. Now could you just tell me what time it is?”

“It’s 12:30. Rose, you really think going down there will make things better?”

“Make things better? Cammie, nothing’s wrong. What would I need to make better?” Rose got up and out of her bed.

“You need to set Draco straight. Tell him you’re not interested.”

“Interested in what? HIM? So what if I am?”

“Rose, don’t do it.” Rose grabbed her sweatshirt.

“I really don’t need you to tell me what to do and what not to do. I can handle this on my own.” She walked out the door.

Rose walked down the stairs into the Common Room. She saw Blaise and HIM sitting on the couch. She tried so hard to just ignore them and walk right by, but she failed.

“Rose?” HE said getting up.

“Save it.” she kept walking.

“Rose, I need to talk to you.” HE followed.

“Well, I need to be somewhere, so maybe we can reschedule this chat until…never.”

“Rose, can you just stop?”

“And what be pushed up against the wall again? I don’t think so.”

“Rose, I’m sorry.”

“Sorry doesn’t cover it.” They were getting closer to the door leading outside to the Black Lake.

“Rose. Listen to me.” HE said delicately. Rose got to the door and stopped.

“I have somewhere to be in five minutes. That’s all you got.”

“Thank you. Look, I’m really sorry.”

“As you said before.”

“Listen, I don’t know what I was thinking.”

“Really ‘cause I do. You were thinking you were going to be able to get me back by ASSULTING me?”

“Not by assaulting per say. I thought maybe that would convince you that you miss this.” He said pointing to himself.

“Ha! Me miss you? I really don’t think so. Ben, I broke up with YOU remember?”

“Yeah, but I miss you.”

“Do you remember why I broke up with you?”

“I try not to.”

“Okay let me remind you. You hurt me. You weren’t there for me when I needed you most, you were with my so-called friend.”

“Who? Demi? No I told you I couldn’t be there because my grandma-”

“Was at St. Mungo’s. I’ve heard this story before. And it’s kind of hard to lie about that when your girlfriend has a brother who has an internship there.”

“You have a brother?”

“Yeah I have three older brothers. But you wouldn’t know that would you because you were never there for me. My friends, my brothers, they all told me to dump your butt but I couldn’t because I loved you. Or at least I thought I did.”

“Rose.”

“No just listen. I thought you would come through for me and change. I was wrong.” A tear rolled down her cheek.

“Rose.” he stepped closer. Rose stepped farther back.

“Don’t touch me.”

“Look, I’m really sorry. I didn’t know how you really felt. You never told me.”

“Because you were never there! Ben you were always with your friends or with some other girl behind my back.”

“What would you have wanted me to do? Tell you I was cheating on you?” Rose stared at him blankly.

“You were cheating on me?”

“No. Well…yes.”

“Why did you just tell me?”

“You really would have wanted me to tell you?”

“Not exactly, but It would have been nice just to know. Like now, you know. When we were over.” She was crying more now. “I trusted you. Everyone told me about you and Demi or you and some other girl. But I didn’t believe them. I thought you were better than that.” He came closer to her. This time, Rose didn’t move.

“Get away from her!”

“Hey, man, calm down. I wasn’t going to do anything, I swear.”

“I don’t care!” Draco said running to Rose to hug her and stop her tears. “Just stay away from her!”

“I wasn’t doing anything. I was talking to her.”

“You were moving towards to her, I saw it.”

“To stop her from crying. And to say I was sorry.” Ben looked Rose directly in the eye.

“Draco calm down.” Rose said. “It’s not his fault. He needed to talk so I listened.”

“I don’t really believe it.”

“It’s true.”

“I saw her in the Common Room. I needed to talk to her. So I followed her.” Ben said.

“Fine.” He turned to Ben. “Just be glad she didn’t report you. But if I see you within 10 feet of Rose,” he took his wand out and put it to Ben’s neck. “You will definitely regret it.”

“I got it.” He walked away.

“Rose what are you thinking?”

“He wouldn’t leave me alone unless I listened.”

“So, he would have kept following you, and eventually you would have found me and I would have kicked his a-”

“Draco. He just wanted to talk.”

“Okay but if he ever wants to ‘talk’ to you again, be sure I’m with you. I really don’t trust that guy.”

“I didn’t realize you were that protective over me.” Rose said with a smile.

“Let’s just start walking. Shall we?” he held out his hand. This time she didn’t hesitate at all. They started to walk down to the lake.

“You must hate me.” Draco said.

“Why would I hate you?”

“For blowing up about the whole Ben thing. I’m sorry by the way.”

“It’s okay. I’m sure anyone else in your position would have done the same thing.”

“They would have, huh? Are you just saying that because you know you’re an angel and everybody wants to be your friend?” they both laughed.

“No, I’m saying that because it’s true. Heck, a Gryffindor probably would have helped me if they were you.”

“Of course they wouldn’t have invited you to an afternoon walk by the lake, now would they?”

“No, I suppose not. So, right now, I’m pretty glad you saved me.”

“And another thank you.”

“Hey, I’m sorry, but you did save me.”

“And because I was the superhero, what exactly do I get from this damsel in distress?”

“So you want something?”

“Not just anything.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, in Spiderman, Spiderman got something in exchange for saving M.J.’s life.”

“So, what you’re saying is that you want a kiss.”

“Yeah.”

“From who? Me?”

“No, the giant squid at the bottom of the lake.”

“Hey, be nice, I’m slow.”

“Okay but I still want that kiss.”

“Now?”

“No, next Tuesday. Yes now.”

“But—”

“Come on Rose. Would it kill you? Not that it matters because right now I’m dying.”

“If you’re dying maybe I should go get a teacher.”

“Do you remember the other night? You know when we fell asleep on the couch?”

“How could I forget?”

“Well, I was talking to you. But you were asleep. I didn’t know you were asleep so I was still talking.”

“Could you just get on with this Draco?”

“Well, that moment, on the couch, was no doubt, the greatest moment of my life. You know, just sitting there with the most beautiful girl in the world right there in my arms.” Rose was silent. “Rose.” she had stopped walking. Draco turned around to face her.

She was still silent.

“Rose?” Rose was soundless and motionless.

“Rose that kind of required a response. Please, don’t just leave me hanging.”

“You seriously think that?”

“Think what? That you’re beautiful? Rose, are you crazy? Of course I think that. Only a fool wouldn’t think that. You’re beautiful and no one is going to stop me from saying it.” She walked up closer to him and put her hand on the back of his neck.

“I might.” She said. He responded by pulling her even closer and kissing her softly on the lips. Rose pulled back.

“What’s wrong?”

“I’m sorry. Nothing, nothing is wrong. I just…Draco, I like you. I admit it. But what everyone says about you or what Cammie thinks about you,” He backed up. They sat down on the grass, right where they were standing. “That’s all worth so much more.”

“You said you trusted me.”

“I do. But something is just not right.”

“What? Is it me? Did I do something wrong?”

“No, it’s not you, it’s—”

“Please don’t say ‘it’s not you, it’s me.’ We haven’t even started going out yet and you’re already breaking up with me?”

“I’m not breaking up with you, I guess. Well, it’s just that I don’t feel right.”

“Why not?”

“Well, we’ve been friends for a long time. I think that if we do this and it doesn’t work out, our friendship is gone.”

“That won’t happen.”

“But what if it does. And then there’s Cammie.”

“This has absolutely nothing to do with Cammie. This is me and you.”

“Yeah. But I feel like I’m betraying her all of a sudden. I didn’t tell her that you rescued me from Ben.”

“Why? You usually tell her everything.”

“I knew she had something against you. I also knew that she wouldn’t believe that YOU, of all people, would be the one to rescue me. But now she knows because you told her something happened with Ben and she was wonder how you got into the whole me and Ben thing.”

“Yeah bu—”

“You don’t get it. She’s my best friend. And if I have to lie to her about something that probably won’t ever work out, it’s not worth it.”

“It’s not or I’m not?”

“That’s not what I said.”

“That’s what you meant.”

“It is not.”

“If it’s not, what did you mean?”

“I don’t know what I meant.”

“Then why did you say something so hurtful?”

“I didn’t think it would hurt you.”

“Why because I’m a bully? I bully people so I’m not breakable?”

“Draco—”

“Rose I’m not as strong as most people think I am. I have feelings, too.”

“I never said you didn’t.”

“The way you said that, though, it sounded like you didn’t care.” Rose spoke in a softer, sweeter voice now.

“I could never not care about you. I like you too much. I’m just not sure if you’re going to turn your back, completely forget about me and go with some other girl. I don’t want or need another Ben.”

“I know. Did you think I didn’t think of that? Rose, I can’t control my emotions or the way I feel. The way I feel about you. You’re so much more than a friend to me.”

“Well duh.”

“Excuse me?”

“I really don’t think we should consider ourselves friends after the other night and what just happened.”

“So, what are you saying?”

“What I’m saying Mr. Malfoy, is that I accept your offer. That is if it’s still up for grabs.”

“I don’t know. I think your time for deciding was up long ago.” Rose leaned over and kissed him. “But I think we can let you off easy, just this once.” She kissed him again.

“As long as you’re sure that I’m not going to be one of those girls you dump tomorrow.”

“You will never be one of those girls.”

“Promise?”

“I promise.”

“Pinky promise?” she asked holding out her pinky.

“People actually still do that? How about I convince you with a kiss instead?”

“I don’t know. You’ve had a lot already and THIS has only been going on for a few minutes.” He looked at her longingly. “I suppose I could spare another one.” He kissed her.

“Do you think we should get back now?”

“Just a few more minutes.” He kissed her passionately. This passionate kissing ended up turning out as a 5 minute make-out session, with Draco practically lying on top of Rose in the grass. Rose place a hand on his chest.

“Draco, stop.” He did. “It’s just a little too much, too fast.”

“That’s okay.” He got off of her. Rose gave him a strange look. “Why are you looking at me funny?” he held out his hand to help her up.

“That’s it?”

“What’s it?”

“You’re not going to protest? Pin me to the ground? Make me beg for you to stop…or keep going.” She added the last part quietly. Draco smirked.

“Why would I? You want me to stop so I did.”

“You are very confusing.”

“I’m sorry. Would you like to stay? I’d be happy to stay with you like that for the rest of the day.”

“We don’t have the rest of the day. People are going to come down here to classes and tell a teacher. What do you want to do now?”

“Well, I’ve got plenty of things in mind.” He smirked again.

“I hope at least one of those things has nothing to do with, you, me, and a bed.”

“Maybe two. Come with me.”

“Where?”

“You’ll see.” He took her hand and started walking slowly.

“Tell me.”

“Nope.”

“What if I told you I hate surprises?”

“What if I told you I know for a fact that you love surprises?”

“How did you know that?”

“It’s not like I just met you, Rose. I’ve been your friend for a year.”

“One year isn’t enough for me. So, can you tell me why you’re surprising me?”

“For saying yes to me.”

“What? You’ve been able to formulate a plan in the 20 minutes we’ve…you knew I was going to say yes.”

“No, but I was hoping.”

“You are so predictable.” Rose said.

“Then how come you don’t know what the surprise is?”

“Well…because…you…uh…”

“Aha!”

“What?”

“You don’t have an answer.”

“So what?”

“Well, you usually have an answer for everything.”

“No, I don’t.” Rose squealed.

“Hey, I’m not saying it’s a bad thing.”

“Then how are you saying that it’s a good thing?”

“Because you know how to respond when I give you this.” He reached into his pocket and pulled something out: a small black box with a single green bow on it. He gave the box to Rose.

“What is it?”

“Open it and you’ll see.” She flipped the box open. She was now looking at a necklace. On the necklace was a heart with a green diamond on it.

“Oh my God! It’s beautiful. You were this sure I was going to say yes?”

“No. I know your birthday was over the summer. I was going to give it to you whether you said yes or no.”

“Well it’s a great gift.” She hugged him. “Wait a minute, you made me walk all this way to give me a surprise you had in your pocket?”

“And the necklace is your favorite color.”

“Yes it is but,” she paused, “who told you?” she said realizing what Draco just said.

“Well, I just figured. Mostly everything you wear is green and everything you have is green.” He helped her put the necklace on.

“Did you ever think it was because of the house I’m in?”

“Well, yeah but then I thought that it wasn’t all that natural for a Slytherin girl to have EVERYTHING she owns in green.”

“You got a point there.” They started walking back to the Black Lake.

“Yeah I know. That’s just how good I am.”

“Are you sure not how good you think you are?”

“Are you sure you want to say that Miss Nash?”

“Absolutely 100% positive.” She laughed.

“Okay. But I will have to deal with you later.”

“Do what you must. But you’re not all that great.” She smiled.

“I’m not. I admit it. But there is one thing that you need to know about yourself.”

“Say it.”

“You ARE the most beautiful girl I know.”

“Yeah, I don’t really get that a lot.”

“No? I figured you would because, well…”

“What?”

“Well you’re smart, funny, a really great Quidditch player.”

“I know. I’m awesome.”

“You are so much more than that.”

“Did you say that to the other girls?”

“Other girls?”

“You know. The ‘other girls’ you supposedly…”

“Oh well, yeah. About that, I never really DID anything with those girls. I’m still a virgin.”

“Oh really. Thank you for telling me Draco Malfoy’s deepest, darkest secret. Now that I know, I’m going to tell everybody.”

“Oh no.”

“What?”

“You can’t tell anyone.”

“Why not? It’s not like it matters. You’re with me now.”

“Well, just don’t okay.”

“Okay. I promise I won’t. Hey I’ve got an idea. Why don’t we make some rules to go along with this relationship?”

“I wouldn’t want to call them rules.” Draco said. “That would remind me of school. And while I actually get good grades, I hate the place.”

“Okay so why don’t we call them promises.”

“That’s a much better name.”

“Okay. Promise Number One: Do not keep secrets from me.” Rose claimed.

“And that goes both ways.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. Promise Number Two:”

“No cheating.”

“Does Rose Nash really look like the type of girl who would do that?” Rose asked.

“No, but I’m just saying.”

“Just kidding. Calm down.”

“Promise Number Three: Never ask the question ‘Am I fat?” Draco said half-laughing.

“That also goes both ways.” She laughed.

“Oh, please. Me? Fat?”

“Well you never know. Promise Number Four: They sat down on a bench by the Black Lake. “Never, EVER say goodnight without a kiss.”

“Ooo, I think I’m going to like that one.” He kissed her. “Promise Number Five.”

“There are five? Well, I think we have to decide on this one when we get to it.”

“Fine with me, but when we do decide we should both agree 100%.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.” Rose took out her cell phone and looked at the time. “Draco, it’s like 2:30. We’ve missed a class. On the first day. Don’t you think we should get back to the castle now?”

“No. I think we should stay right here on this bench forever.”

“That would get really uncomfortable wouldn’t it?” Rose asked. Draco nodded. “Besides I really have to talk to Cammie. I stormed off before. She read the letter you sent and didn’t want me to come here. But being me I didn’t listen and came down anyway.”

“Okay if you really have to leave to go talk to your little roommate. I guess we’ll continue this later.” He kissed her.

“Or you could just come with me.”

“Ummm, my ex-girlfriend, my new girlfriend, and me in the same room? Don’t you think that’s kind of dangerous?”

“Not if I tell her what going on before you guys start fighting or whatever it is you guys do after breaking up, I guess.”

“Hey if you’re thinking anything we have barely spoken since we have bro—”

“Hey, Draco, chill. I was just kidding.”

“I think I should get used to you ‘just kidding,’ huh?”

“Yeah, I think so.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoyyy :)

Comment?
Subscribe?

Love, Tay :)