Status: Formally A Year With Draco. Finished, Just posting :)

A Rose by Any Other Name

Brotherly Love

Draco and Rose were walking around the castle, not really paying attention to where they were going. Draco’s arm was around her waist as they turned down the east hallway. They were talking about nothing really. Just some random stuff. Then a thought came to Rosie.

“I need to go see Flitwick.”

“Why? Now?”

“Yes, now.”

“Why?”

“Because I didn’t show up for class, that why. I need to get my stuff or I’ll be all out of sort for the rest of the semester.”

“And you have to go now? I mean, we’re almost to the Common Room and I was kind of hoping we could…” he stopped, took her hands, and kissed her lips lightly but passionately.

“Draco, I have to go now. I promise once I get back. I’ll be five minutes.”

Draco thought for a moment.

“Just five minutes?”

“Yes, you can time me.”

“Okay.” He kissed her again and let her go. She turned and started running.

“I’ll be back.” Draco watched her as she left.

“I’ll be waiting.” He called back to her.

She’s amazing. She unlike any girl I’ve known. Smart, funny, beautiful. Cammie was all but smart.

Why had Cammie found her way back into his head? He was with Rosie. Not Cammie. He would never be with Cammie again.

Draco walked back to the Common Room, seeing as Rosie would probably meet him there instead of meeting up again in that hallway. The hallway, in which, Rosie didn’t notice, was the exact hallway, in the exact spot where he had found her with Ben.

Ben.

Draco wanted to kill him. How could someone who used to love her be so cruel? But then again, the sight of Ben loving Rose seemed to be so far away from whatever he thought love really was. Though he really didn’t know what love was.

Draco was always the one who would pay anything and everything to get what he wants. But he didn’t have to pay anything for Rosie. Though he’s only known her for a year, it seems like he’s actually know her his whole life.

Draco told the password (pureblood) to the brick wall in front of him. The doors magically appeared and he stepped inside the Common Room.

When he walked into the main room, he saw Blaise sitting on the couch. He sat down on the other end of it.

“Hey, man, where’s Rosie?” he asked.

“With Flitwick. She had to get her work. What are you doing down her all alone?”

“Just thinking.”

“About?”

“How could Cammie be so mean to Rosie? I mean, really, what had Rosie done to Cammie?”

“What had Rosie done to anybody? She’s so sweet and innocent. She wouldn’t hurt anyone.”

“Except Potter.”

“Yeah, well, but that’s kind of a Slytherin thing. To hurt Potter that is.”

“Yeah.”

“Blaise, can I talk to you about something?”

“Talk.”

“Okay well it goes like this:” Draco briefly told Blaise the story about Ben. “But you can’t tell anyone.”

“That’s horrible.”

“Yeah, but what’s even worse, I feel like I took advantage of that fact. Like I took her when she was at a low point and all this stuff that happened with her.”

“Draco, tell me something. When you asked her out did she seem to have Ben on her mind?”

“Well, she didn’t show it that’s for sure.”

“Then don’t feel guilty. She said yes because she wanted to. Trust me I know Rosie. She likes you. She likes you a lot.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“She practically told me.”

“When?”

“On the train. She told you not to stop being so irresistible. Then you left. She was all thankful that I did that and crap. She was trying to convince me that she didn’t like you. That way anyway.”

“That’s just saying she doesn’t like me.”

“Yeah, but when a girl usually says she doesn’t like a guy she’s lying.”

“So when she says she likes a guy, she hates him?”

“No…I…don’t really…know.”

“God, girls are so complicated.” Draco said.

“Oh, is that what you think?” they both turned around.

“Rosie, how long have you been standing there?” Draco asked.

“Since Blaise was talking about me on the train.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t mean to tell him.” Blaise said.

“Blaise it’s fine.” She walked over to the couch and sat on Draco’s lap.

“Did you get what you needed?” Draco asked.

“Yes. He almost didn’t give me the work because I was ‘skipping’.” She said with air quotes. “But then he changed his mind because I’m a good student. Thank you for strict parents.”

“Yes but the reason you were skipping was a pretty good one, eh?” He kissed her.

“I think so. Oh, I almost forgot. Has Cody passed through here at all?”

“Yeah about a half hour ago. I think he’s up in his room.” Blaise said.

“Great. Come on, Draco. We gotta go. I’ll see you tomorrow Blaise.” She got up off of Draco and grabbed his arm, leading him up the stairs to the boys’ dorms and Cody’s room. She knocked on the door.

“Cody! It’s Rosie! Open up!”

“Okay! Gosh, Rosebud chill!” Just then the door opened. She and Draco walked in and sat down on the couch by the fire. Cody had the room all to his self so he had a pretty spacious room. “’Sup guys?”

“Nothing much.” Draco said.

“So what was it that you wanted to talk about?” Cody asked his sister.

“Well, it’s like this. The other day, I came downstairs for breakfast with Cammie. Then…um…Ben came up to me and told me he wanted to talk.” She was looking down at her hands, twirling her thumbs. “At first I was trying to get away from him, and just leave all together. But he had tight grip on my arm and wouldn’t let go unless I listened to him.” Cody was listening intently as he was sitting on his bed.

“Okay, so what?”

“I didn’t get there yet. So he told me he didn’t want to talk there. I followed him to this dark hallway. An old abandoned one that nobody really goes down anymore. He didn’t exactly want to talk.” She was tearing slightly. Draco was rubbing her back.

“I know this is terrible for you to relive, but you really wanted to tell him Rosie.”

“Tell me what?” Cody asked.

“I wanted to tell you what Ben had done to me.”

“What Ben did to you? Rose, what did he do to you?” She knew he was serious or afraid because he never called her Rose. Rosie sobbed.

“When I found her,” Draco spoke up for her. “He had her pinned up against the wall.” Cody got off his bed and walked over to the couch. He gave Rosie a quick, powerful hug as if to say she was alright.

“Rosie, why didn’t you tell me sooner? Did you tell a teacher?”

“No. I didn’t…I didn’t think I had to. It’s not like he raped me or anything.”

“No, but he could have. And he did assault you. You should have told a teacher.”

“Cody, really, it’s not that big of a deal.”

“It is a very big deal. Why didn’t you tell her to tell a teacher? Why didn’t you tell a teacher? If you knew what happened?”

“I didn’t know if sh—”

“Cody, Draco should not hold any of my responsibilities. Do NOT blame him for why I didn’t tell. I didn’t tell because, yeah it was a big deal, but I…” she thought for a moment. “To tell you the truth Ben is not the bad guy in this.”

“What?” Draco and Cody said at the same time.

“Then who is?” Cody piped up.

“Cammie.”

“Who?”

“Cammie Brown. She’s the one with the strawberry blond hair.”

“Oh, that Cammie.”

“Is there another one?” Draco asked.

“Why is Cammie the bad guy, or girl, in this case?”

“She told Ben to do it. She told him to do it so she could get Draco. She thought I would take him back if he assaulted me and she would get Draco all to herself.”

“Well, fine, but I’m still gonna kill Ben.”

“Please do. So, yeah. That’s what I…we had to talk to you about.”

“Great, so I’m gonna see you tomorrow at breakfast right?”

“Right.” She and Draco got up and walked towards the door.

“Great. And uh…Draco.”

“Yeah.”

“Thank you for…uh…saving my sister.”

“Don’t mention it. I’d do again. I’m hoping I won’t have to though. But anyway, I’d do anything for her.”

“Yeah, don’t get too gross just yet.” Cody half-laughed.

“I won’t.”

“Oh, and Draco…Rosie trusts you. I hope I can trust you, too.”

“If that’s a nicer way of saying ‘Don’t hurt her,’ don’t worry, cause I won’t.”

“Great, then we’re good. And Rosie, next time something happens with Ben, and hopefully there won’t be a next time, please tell me, or at least a teacher.”

“I promise.” Rosie gave Cody a quick hug. “Don’t forget. Quidditch tryouts are next week sometime. I’ll make sure you and I are the first to know exactly when.”

“Great. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Draco and Rosie walked out of Cody’s room and he closed the door behind them.

“Well that didn’t go as badly as I thought it would have.” Draco said.

“No it didn’t. But I am so glad I didn’t have to tell him alone. I don’t think I would have gotten out with it. Thank you, so much.”

“Would you stop saying thank you? Just realize that I would do anything for you. You don’t have to ask or anything.”

“Perfect.” He put his arms around her into a deep, meaningful hug.

“Do you want to go see if Blaise is downstairs or go to bed?”

“All I get is two choices?” Rosie complained.

“No, why? What else did you have in mind?” Draco asked still holding her close.

“Nothing we can do down my brother’s hallway.”

“Good point. Let’s go.” He started down the hall quickly, but Rosie went a little slower.

“Wait. We’re not doing any of those nasty thoughts that I know are in your head right now. You want Cody to trust you, not beat the crap out of you.”

“You have no idea what I’m thinking.”

“Draco Malfoy. If you say that again, you might as well consider me crazy. What girl haven’t you tried to get with on the first day?”

“You.”

“I hate you. Do you know that? I really, really hate you.” They arrived at Draco’s door.

“It’s really sexy when you hate me.” He struggled with the lock.

“Yeah, well, how about this? I loathe you completely.” When he finally got the door open, they went in. He shut the door behind them.

“Hate me more.”

“Just remember…not too much hate.” Rosie said, still standing with Draco at the door. Rosie draped her arms around his neck while he wrapped his arms around her waist. He kissed her softly.

“I think you can trust me.”

“Oh, you think?”

“Yeah.” She leaned in and their lips met. Draco picked Rosie up bridal style, and carried her to the bed. Rosie smiled through the kiss. He laid her down on the bed and fell on the bed next to her, breaking the kiss.

“Draco?”

“Yeah?”

“You aren’t attracted to Cammie anymore, right?”

“What would make you think that?”

“I don’t know. I guess I just had to know.”

“Well, you don’t have to worry about me and Cammie. We are definitely over.”

“That’s all I needed to know.” She leaned over and kissed him lightly. Draco sensed something was wrong.

“Hey, are you okay?”

“Yeah.”

“It’s just the thing with Ben, and then that conversation with Cody. Right now, you just don’t seem yourself.”

“It was hard, you know? Telling him. I know you did it and thank you for that, but…I don’t know.”

“At least he found out. Rose, that’s the good part about all of this. He knows and you aren’t hiding anything from him anymore.”

“Except for the tiny little fact that I am here with you.”

“Is that something you really want to tell your older brother? You wouldn’t really want me to get hurt now would you?”

“I don’t know. I might hurt you myself if you keep talking about Ben and Cody or anyone else. Right now it’s just you and me. No one else is here and there is no one I’d rather be with in the world.”

“You’re lying.”

“So what?”

“You’re hurting my feelings.”

“I didn’t mean to.” He shrugged it off and looked the other way. “Draco.” He ignored her. She moved closer to him on the bed, wrapping her arms around his waist. “Draco…” she put her hand to his face and pulled it so he was looking at her. “Look at me.” She stared into his eyes. He stared back. “I’m sorry. There is no one I’d rather be with other than you. You’re my best friend.”

“Best Friend?” A confused look appeared on his face. “I thought I was your boyfriend.”

“To me you’re both. That’s why I like you so much.” She kissed him softly.

“How much?”

“This much.” She pressed her lips softly to his once, then again but this time held them there. He turned around so he was facing her once again. He wrapped her arms around her, tight enough so she couldn’t escape. Not that she wanted to. They both could stay like this forever. Rosie pulled away.

“Are we doing the right thing?”

“What do you mean? Of course we are.”

“But with the fight. We’ll never be able to see each other over breaks. I don’t want this to be an in school kind of thing.”

“It won’t be. We’ll figure out a way to see each other outside of school. I promise we will.”

“You know I think I should get to bed now.”

“Now? But we just got here.”

“Yeah, but tomorrow I have early morning classes.”

“What is that, Advanced Potions?”

“Yeah. You would think Snape would give us a little break in the morning.”

“Funny. I think those classes are because of me. So I’ll see you in class tomorrow morning.”

“You have it, too?”

“Yeah. Potions is my thing.”

“We’re partners, right?” Rosie asked, questioningly.

“Do you even have to ask?”

“I didn’t know if you had already promised one of your other friends.”

“Blaise? Advanced Potions? And Crabbe and Goyle? Really, where is your pretty little head today, Miss Rose Nash? Is it still at home where most people leave it after vacation?”

“I don’t know. My head has been everywhere for the past few days. Now it’s really time for me to go.” She got up and headed towards the door. Draco followed.

“Do you really have to go?”

“Yes, I haven’t gotten much sleep. I’m so tired and I need my bed.”

“Okay, I’ll see you in the morning.” He kissed her quickly.

“Bye.” Rosie opened the door, walked out and closed it behind her. She walked down the hall and into the Common Room. She then crossed the Common Room and up the stairs to the girls’ dorm.

When she came to her room, she put her key in and opened the door. Cammie had already had all of her stuff taken out of her room, so it was pretty empty inside.

There was a tap at the window.

“What the-” Rosie walked over to the window to get the note.

Are you back yet?

“Draco.” She said to herself. She grabbed a quill and wrote back on the paper.

No. I was eaten by Nargles on the way here. Don’t even ask about the Nargles. Rosie smiled to herself as she sent the owl back.

She walked to her bathroom, changed into her pajamas and washed her face. When she came back out the owl had come back.

You do know who this is, right?

I’m hoping that I do. But just in case, give me a hint. She sent off the note and waited for it to come back. When the owl came back she took the note.

Promise Number Four. Did we do that? Rosie smiled.

I was right. And to answer your question, I’m pretty sure we did.

Well, I certainly don’t remember. Maybe you should come back.

I don’t think that is such a good idea. And to tell you the truth, I don’t think this is a good idea either.

Don’t think what’s a good idea?

This whole owl thing. Someone could find the owl, catch it, and know exactly what we’re talking about.

Don’t worry I have a solution to that problem.

Yeah? What is it?

I found these notebooks. But they’re not exactly notebooks. You write something in yours, and mine receives whatever it is that you write. Then it happens vise versa.

Where did you find them?

Blaise told me about them a while ago. I didn’t really believe him until I found them in Diagon Alley before school started.

I’ll have to thank Blaise for that one. Why didn’t you give it to me earlier?

I didn’t think about it. Do you want it now? I’ll send it over with the owl.

No. It can wait until tomorrow. I came up here to go to sleep remember?

Yeah, I remember. So I’m guessing that’s what you want to do then?

Yup. I’ll see you tomorrow. Just go to sleep. It won’t seem so long.

No, not to you. But to me it’ll seem like years.

Good night, Draco.

Night, Rosie.

Rosie left the window side and walked to her bed. She blew out her candle and laid her head down on her pillow. Her eyes closed taking her where ever her dreams might go.