Until Tomorrow

don't go

“Since when did you become such a badass?” Kelly asked as she followed Becca out the front door.

“Since you left. Remember?” Becca snapped.

“Becca - ”

“Just don’t, okay?”

“I just want to fix us,” Kelly pleaded, “but you’ve gotta let me. Why can’t things just go back to the way they were before?”

“Before what? Before you disappeared for an entire year without so much as a goodbye?” Becca looked down at her feet and shook her head. “Whatever,” she muttered, before looking up again. “I guess things just change.”

“You know, I used to think that people don’t change,” Kelly said. “I guess I was wrong.”

“Yeah, well you’ve been wrong about a lot of things lately.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” Kelly asked, stung by her sister’s cutting comment.

“Figure it out for yourself. Oh, and don’t for a second think that I’m going to drag you along with me tonight.”

“Becca - ”

“It’s too late for apologies, Kelly. You had a whole year for that.” Becca turned and looked both ways before running across the road to get into the waiting van.

“Don’t go,” Kelly whispered into the darkness, as she watched the van pull away from the curb and disappear up the street. She felt her eyes fill with tears and blinked furiously to stop them from falling down her face. Things were so different now, and only then did she realize that it would take a whole lot more than a few awkwardly placed apologies to get her sister back. She wished she had someone to talk to, but scrolling through the contacts on her phone, she only saw remnants of a life she’d left behind, and the names of people who had probably forgotten hers.

She hovered over one name before eventually hitting the Call button. Maybe she didn’t even really know him, but maybe talking to a stranger would be easier. Less judgement, more room to breathe.

Jake answered on the second ring.
♠ ♠ ♠
Damn, Becca's stubborn. Is she being too harsh?