Until Tomorrow

fresh start

Jake stared at Kelly as she fiddled with the straw in her drink, stirring it around and remaining silent. Jake continued to stare until she met his eyes, arched her eyebrows in surprise, and finally said something.

“I’m sorry,” she said. Now it was Jake’s turn to be surprised.

“For what?”

“For not telling you who I was,” Kelly replied. Jake laughed.

“Kelly, we met in a Laundromat. It’s hardly the place to tell a stranger your life story. Besides, what were the chances of me knowing Becca and Cam? It’s a big city,” Jake said. Kelly smiled and shrugged.

“I guess the odds are never really in my favour. I always mess everything up,” she said, looking back down at her drink.

“Hey,” Jake said, lifting her chin gently with his hands to force her to meet his eyes. “I’m sure that’s not true.”

“It is,” Kelly replied bitterly, taking a long sip of her drink.

“You haven’t messed up anything with me yet,” Jake said with a boyish grin.

“I didn’t tell you about Becca or Cam.” She pointed out.

“Doesn’t count,” Jake said. Kelly smiled and rolled her eyes.

“It does, actually,” Kelly said with a sigh, finishing off her drink before ordering another.

“Well, by the power vested in me through my sort-of fame due to being in a kick-ass band, I grant thee Kelly Veneziano a clean slate and a fresh start!” Jake proclaimed, his fist in the air. Kelly laughed and shoved him playfully in the shoulder.

“I don’t think anyone can really have a do-over in life, just like that,” she said.

“But I have the power vested in me through a sort-of fame!” Jake protested.

“Well, I guess there’s no arguing with that, then,” Kelly said with a smile. Jake raised his glass.

“To a fresh start,” he said. Kelly smiled.

“To a fresh start,” she repeated, clinking her glass with his and downing her drink in one motion.

Her fresh start was sure to be messy, especially if Cam and Becca had anything to do with it.
♠ ♠ ♠
this is completely unrelated to the story, but if you like metal/hardcore, you should listen to a band called the amity affliction because they are fab. i suggest 'anchors' because it's kbfkbkf.