The Ghost That Saved Me

Confused

I woke up with a pounding headache and a really stiff shoulder. I found myself extremely confused when I noticed the white walls of the hospital surrounding me. I didn’t know why I was there.

My eyes hurt to open; it felt like my eyelids were bruised or something. I was wondering why I was in so much pain. I tried to think about what happened before I fell asleep or passed out or whatever happened to me, and I became nervous because I couldn’t remember much of anything. I knew who I was and when I was born and all of that- but I didn’t have any idea why I was in the hospital, and why my whole body hurt so badly.

A male nurse came in, with a huge smile upon his face. At first I thought I might have died and went to heaven, because my nurse was so hot. What were the chances that a sexy young nurse happened to work at the hospital I was at AND was taking care of me?

“You’re awake. Welcome back,” he said with a bright smile.

He had such mysterious grey eyes. “As you realize, you’re in the hospital. St. Mary’s to be specific. How are you feeling?”

I tried to prop myself up but the shooting pain in my side caused me to stop.

“Um, not too good actually. Everything kind of hurts,” I said, trying not to sound too pathetic.

His face fell. “I’m sorry you’re in so much pain. You have a morphine button to your right. You only get one push so use it wisely,” he said with another heart-melting smile.

I pushed it immediately, causing my nurse to laugh. “What’s your name? Why am I here? What happened?” I asked a little to panicky.

He held up his hands to try and calm me. “Shh, just relax. You’ve been through a lot. I’m nurse Liam. I’m going to leave the room to go get your family. They’ve been at your side the whole time, but they just went to the cafeteria to get coffee. They would really like to know you’re awake.”

I wasn’t too satisfied with his lack of answers, but I did want to see my family. I waited patiently for my morphine to kick in; I wasn’t sure how long it would take, but I hoped it would be soon.

When my parents walked in crying my heart started to race. Never in my 17 years had I see my dad shed a tear, and there he was crying at my bedside. My mom draped herself over my arm and my dad held onto my hand, which I saw was red and scratched.

“Oh my god Rayne! We are so happy you’re okay. Oh my baby,” my mom said as she cried and kissed my arm.

An older doctor walked in with a clipboard. There was something eerie about him. I didn’t know much, but I knew that I wanted nurse Liam to come back and check on me.

“Doctor Benson please, tell us our daughter is okay? She’s awake, that’s a good sign right?” My mother asked, stepping away from my bed so the doctor could take a better look at me.

The doctor stared me down and looked at his clipboard. He took out a mini flashlight that was in his pocket and shone it in my eyes, and I squinted. He came closer and looked at my face, and then he turned my head to both sides, and I flinched from the slight pain in my neck. He tapped my arms, upper-chest, stomach and legs, and I winced every time he laid his damn hands on me.

“Very good, now I’m going to ask you a few questions. Answer as best you can. Please state your full name, phone number, and today’s date.”

I looked at my parents and then I looked at Dr. Benson.

“Rayne Elizabeth Blatny. 824-7708. April 22nd. ” I said with full certainty.

The way my dad’s face looked made me upset. Maybe I got the date wrong. It could have been the 23rd. I wasn’t exactly sure.

“Do you remember what happened, Rayne? Do you know why you’re here?”

I shook my head. I was so glad my pain was starting to subside. Dr. Benson scared me, and I didn’t like him. I wanted him to go away. I just wanted to be alone with my mom and dad so I could talk to them about what happened, not this serious doctor.

“No,” I said with my voice small. “But I can tell I’m pretty banged up. Did someone beat me? Because that’s what it felt like. Before the pain killers started to work I mean.”

My mom’s lip quivered and she held onto my dad’s arm, much like she had done to mine a moment ago.

“No Rayne, no one beat you. What’s the last thing you can remember?”

I racked my brain and held out my hands. I figured if I looked at something it would trigger a memory and help me. It took a few minutes before I came up with a response.

“I was at a party with my brother. I- I was talking to a guy…I can’t remember his name. It started with a B I think. But that’s all I remember.”

I felt angry at myself for losing such thoughts. I must have hit my head really hard.

Dr. Benson wrote down things I couldn’t see in his stupid notepad. I wanted to see everything that was on there. I hated that he wasn’t telling me anything.

“Well Rayne, I’m going to leave you be for now. I think you need to rest a bit, and maybe your memory will return to you after you wake up. I want you to try to remember on your own,” he said, and then he looked at my parents. “Mr. and Mrs. Blatny please don’t give her any information. I’ll ask her about it again tomorrow. And we’ll go from there. She looks okay, and she’s speaking fine. That’s good. I‘ll see you tomorrow.”

“Wait,” I called out sheepishly. “Um, I was just wondering if…I could still have the same nurse. Liam was very kind and made me feel comfortable.”

Dr. Benson’s eyebrows furrowed. “Who?”

“Nurse Liam. Tall, dark hair, grey eyes. Younger looking? He was really nice. It’s not a big deal I just- I’m frightened and he made me feel better that’s all.”

“I’m sorry but we don’t have a Liam who works here. Nurse Tessa has been taking care of you and taking your vitals. You’re probably just confused and under a lot of stress and pressure. Don’t worry, Rayne. Everything will be okay. You just rest with your family now.”

I hated that he was talking to me like I was a crazy person. I knew what I saw. I saw a hot young nurse who even told me his name. I didn’t want to rest; I wanted to see Liam again. But most of all I wanted answers.
♠ ♠ ♠
Little sneak peak at Liam.

Sorry for the wait and briefness of this chapter.

Next chapter will fill everyone in. <3 Love you all!