The Ghost That Saved Me

Insane

I was home for a few days, just taking it easy and relaxing. I finally saw myself in my mirror and I was horrified. My head was all stitched up and gross looking and basically the whole left side of my body was cut up and bruised.

My doctor gave me pain medication that I never felt like taking, but I took anyway because the pain in my head was almost unbearable at times.

I was advised to wait to go back to school, just because I wasn’t in the right state of mind. I apparently missed a lot of work, considering that’s all my parents were telling me. I didn’t think a few days was so much work, but I knew that it would be harder to catch up the more I fell behind; obviously.

Neither my mom or my dad mentioned my brother at all. I was angry at them, wondering how dare they keep such important information from me, especially given the condition I was in. They acted like he didn’t even exist, and it made me sick. I could tell Marek must have did something wrong, that would be the only reason why they didn’t speak of him.

I wanted to ask them about him everyday- every hour even. But I knew I wouldn’t get answers. Whenever they saw me they always asked me how I was feeling, and if I remembered anything yet. I was never really that religious, but I started to pray to God for my memories to come back; because that would be the only way I would ever get answers. My dad told me that he believed in me, and that he was sure I would remember soon. It wasn’t that comforting since he knew everything and was holding it over my head.

The day before I was given the okay to go back to school, I had a surprising visitor. I was in my bed, reading my school books and taking notes when there was an unfamiliar knock at my door.

“Come in,” I said and put my book down.

The door opened, and I was shocked to see the guy I was talking to at the party. I still couldn’t remember his name, but I recognized his face.

“Hey there,” he said with a small smile. “I know you probably don‘t know who I am. But I was at the party you were at before…what happened. I‘ve been meaning to come here and see how you were doing but I kind of psyched myself out about it. But to make up for it I brought you this.”

I smiled when I saw he had a teddy bear behind his back.

“That’s really sweet of you, thanks. I’m really sorry but I don’t remember your name. I don’t remember a lot of things actually,” I admitted, taking the bear from him.

He didn’t sit on my bed, he just stood there. “You can sit,” I offered, but he didn’t take it.

He looked sad.

“My name is Brady. Listen- I came here for two reasons, well three. But the main reason I came here is to apologize. I was really drunk at the party and I did not treat you respectfully and I felt horrible; not just because of what happened but…you know. I just wanted you to know that I wasn’t really a jerk, because once you remember you’re going to think otherwise.”

I blinked a couple times and moved a bit father from him. I got scared.

“Wait. You didn’t…hurt me, did you?” I asked in a small voice.

“No! Oh my god, no. Rayne, I would never hurt you, or anyone. I swear I didn’t. I just- I talked to you in a way that’s unacceptable, and I wanted to say sorry. That’s not me.”

I let go of my blankets that I had secretly clenched in my fists, feeling relieved. I believed him.

“You said you were here for three reasons. What are the other two?” I asked.

He smiled. “Well I wanted to see if you needed anything. And I wanted to let you know that even though we don’t know each other like- at all, I’m here for you. I don’t know what it’s like to be in your position but I can assume you‘re not in a good place. It’d be nice to know there’s someone there so…I’m here.”

I bit my lip and nodded. “Thank you so much, Brady. That means a lot no matter if I know slash remember you or not.”

“Good. I’m glad you don’t think I’m a freak for coming here. But anyway, I’m going to go and let you rest, you look like you need a break,” he said and pointed to my mountain of books. “But you don't have my number so, can I borrow your pen and write it down for you? You know, in case you need anything.”

I smiled and gave him my pen and notebook. He wrote down his digits and returned my pen.

“See you around.”

When my door closed I waited a few seconds and then I started giggling like a fool. I was actually happy for the first time since I woke up in the hospital.

I couldn’t believe that I could look like total and complete hell and have a hot guy just go out of his way to buy me a teddy and offer his support. I may have been clueless and hurt but I was glad to have someone willing to help me.

I sat the teddy bear up and smiled. “Since I’ll probably never see him again, I’ll name you Liam. That way it won’t be creepy. He’ll never know. But damn he was cute.”

And then I felt like insane for A. talking to an inanimate object and B. naming the inanimate object after my hot nurse.
♠ ♠ ♠
SORRY guys I'm horrible for not updating but I hope you liked this chapter.

* I updated the character section and added Brady in, as I've decided to make him a plot device haha =]

Please comment if you still love me <3 I love you guys

Happy St. Patrick's Day!