Status: In Progress.

Listen to Your Heart

First Love

John and I hadn't said anything to each other since we had left the restaurant. I was still disappointed that our time together was cut short by Heather. I knew our time hanging out together wouldn't last forever, but I still felt infuriated with the girl.

While I was lost in my thoughts, a song came on the radio that John obviously knew because he began humming softly along with it, but loud enough for me to hear. A smile appeared on my face as I turned to look at him. He didn't notice me staring at him at first, but finally looked over at me and stopped humming.

"What?" he asked me.

"What do you mean 'what?'" I asked like I didn't know what he was talking about.

"Why are you being all creepy and smiling at me like that?" he asked. "It's...well, it's creepy."
I laughed at what he said and shook my head.

"Well, I'm sorry for creeping you out with my creepiness."

"You should be, creeper," he said as he smiled.

We were silent the rest of the ride. I looked out the window at the scenery that passed by as John payed attention to the road. He pulled into my driveway soon and put the car in park.

"How's your mom been?" John asked. "I haven't seen her in a while."

"She's good," I said. "She'd probably like it if you visited her some time."

"I will."

"How's your parents been?" I asked him.

"They've been good," he said. "They've really missed you. I told them that you were back and they started badgering me to tell you to come see them."

"I will," I said. "I've missed them, too."

We didn't say anything else so I began to get out of the car, but John grabbed my arm gently to stop me. I felt that spark I had always felt when I was a teenager from his touch. I looked up into his face to find him looking back at me.

"I had a really good time today, Brooke," he said. "I've really missed it. Us hanging out like we always used to. We'll have to do it again."

"I had a good time, too," I said. "We'll definitely have to do it again."

He smiled at me as he let go of my arm. I smiled back and got out of the car. I shut the door and stood in the driveway to watch him leave. He honked his horn as he drove away and I waved. I stayed watching him until he was out of sight. I sighed as I made my way to the door and walked inside. I found my mom sitting on the couch in the living room and decided to plop down beside of her.

"Have a good time with John?" she asked me.

"How did you know I was with John?" I asked her, curiously.

"I could see his car through the window," she said.

"Yeah, I had a good time," I said.

"Then why do you look so down?"

My mom could always read my emotions even if did my best to hide them. I wasn't really hiding them well then, but it still amazed me how she always knew what kind of mood I was in.

"I don't know," I said as I leaned back into the couch. "I guess hanging out with him just brought all of those feelings back. They never really went away, but they came back stronger. Why can't I just get over him?"

"He was your first love and crush, sweetie," she said. "Those are always the hard ones to get over."

"Leonardo DiCaprio was my first love and crush, mom, but you don't see me still swooning over him," I said.

"He's an actor," she said. "You fell in love with him through his movies. John's here in the flesh. You've been friends with him for years and you know the real him."

"Well, how did you get over your first love?" I asked her.

My mom smiled and stayed silent for a moment.

"Your dad was my first love, Brooke."

I looked at her and smiled as I put my hand on top of hers. My dad was a touchy subject for us both. He died in a car accident when I was fifteen years old. My mom and I both took it hard, but I had always tried to stay strong for her. John had always been there for me whenever I had felt the need to let my true emotions out about it. He was my shoulder to cry on.

"It wasn't so easy snagging him either," she said. "He eventually came to his senses, though."

"I wish John would come to his senses."

"He will."

"You don't know that."

"I have a knack for these things," she said as she smiled, reassuringly. "Now, what do you say we get some pajamas on, pop us some popcorn, and have a Leonardo DiCaprio movie marathon."

I laughed as I nodded my head and stood up from the couch to go to my room. Count on my mom to always cheer me up.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope all of you like it. Thank you to everyone who has read, subscribed, and/or commented. I really appreciate it :). Please comment and let me know what you think of the story so far.