Status: In Progress.

Listen to Your Heart

The Fair

As I was getting ready in my room, I heard the doorbell ring. I quickly finished up and walked out into the living room where John was talking with my mom. They both looked up when they noticed me and smiled.

"I guess you two are ready to head off, huh?" my mom asked.

"Yeah," I said.

"Well, you two have fun and be careful," she said.

"Alright," John said. "Thanks, Ellen. I'll try not to keep her out too late."

"Nonsense," my mom said waving his comment off. "You two have fun."

My mom began to walk away from us. She winked at me as she brushed passed me. I smiled and shook my head.

"Ready to go?" John asked.

"Yeah," I said to him. "Let's go."
__________________________________________________________________________

John and I walked into the fair after getting our tickets. It was a great night to be there. It was nice out and the breeze was comforting. We chatted about random things until we made it to the spot where Garrett and Rachel told us to meet them at. They were standing there waiting for us when we walked up to them.

"What do you guys want to do first?" John asked all of us.

"I want Garrett to win me a stuffed animal," Rachel said as Garrett put his arm around her.

"I could go out and buy you one cheaper," he said.

"Where's the fun and romance in that, Garebear?" she asked him.

"You promised you wouldn't call me that in public," he said as he groaned.

John and I laughed at Garrett's little pet name as we all walked to where the games were set up. We looked around at them until we found one Garrett wanted to play. It was a simple basketball game. He seemed pretty confident about it.

"I think I want to try out that game over there," John said pointing towards a booth.

"Okay," I said and followed him to it.

It was your classic knock all of the bottles down and win a prize. John paid the worker and began playing. He did great and won his first try.

"Would you like for your girlfriend to pick something out?" the guy asked him.

"Oh, she's not my girlfriend, but yes," he said, "I would like for her to pick something out."

I smiled even though it hurt to hear him say that. I picked out a cute teddy bear.

"Thanks, John," I said and smiled to him.

"You're welcome," he said and smiled back.

We caught back up with Garrett and Rachel. Garrett had won Rachel a cute stuffed dog that she seemed proud of.

"Aww, look at the teddy bear John won for you," Rachel said looking at it. "It's so cute."

"Not cuter than me though, right?" Garrett asked her as he wrapped his arms around her.

"Of course not, sweetie," she said as she kissed him.

"Get a room," John said to them, jokingly.

They both ignored him as they continued kissing. I noticed little kids snickering as they pointed at them, which caused me to giggle while John rolled his eyes and chuckled.

We began walking around again and found a booth selling cotton candy. Garrett bought some for him and Rachel. As I was about to pay for mine, John stepped in quickly and paid for it.

"John, you really don't have to," I said. "I brought money with me. You already paid for my ticket."

"Don't worry about it, Brooke," he said after he paid for it. "I want to. Besides, we can share."

Rachel smiled and winked at me, which only caused me to roll my eyes playfully.

When we all finished our cotton candy, we decided to do the bumper cars, which was hilarious. Garrett kept bumping Rachel, which aggrivated her so much that she screamed at him the whole time. John and I were after each other on them. We rammed into each other every opportunity we got. After that, we went on several more rides.

"Oh, it's the ferris wheel," I said as it came into view. "I love the ferris wheel."

"Let's get on it then," John said.

We didn't have to wait in line too long. Garrett and Rachel went on one together while John and I went on one. The worker got us settled and began the ride. We rose into the air and closer to the sky, which was graced with beautiful, shining stars. John moved his arm so that it was resting behind me. Though I knew it didn't mean anything, it felt nice.

"It's a beautiful night isn't it?" John asked.

"Yeah," I said and looked over at him. "It really is. I'm really glad we came."

"Me too," John said as he looked at me. "I haven't been to the fair since we all used to come together."

"Really?" I asked. "Why not? You love the fair."

"Well, with our group of friends seperated, it just didn't seem like it would be the same," he said. "Plus, I didn't have my ferris wheel buddy with me."

I smiled at the last part. John and I always rode the ferris wheel together.

"Well, I'm here now," I said. "Just like old times. Except we're older now."

"Yeah," he said. "You haven't really changed, though. Appearance, yes. Personality, no."

"Yeah, I have blonde hair now."

"No, it's not just that," he said. "You've just...really grown into a beautiful woman, Brooke."

I could feel my cheeks begin to burn. Had John really said that to me? I knew he probably didn't mean it in a flirting way, but still he had said it and he had never told me I was beautiful before.

"Thank you, John," I said as I smiled. "You didn't turn out so bad yourself."

"I know," he said, playfully, as he buffed his chest out.

I giggled and hit his arm gently. He laughed along with me.

"We're missing something," John said a moment later.

"What?" I asked, curiously.

John smiled mischeviously before he began to rock the cart. It was something he had always done on this ride, which I hated and he knew that. I groaned as he laughed.

"I always hated when you did that," I said when he finally stopped.

"Yet, you were always my ferris wheel buddy."

"It was tradition," I said.

We talked through the remainder of the ride until it was time to get off. I didn't want to, though. It was nice being alone with John like that.
__________________________________________________________________________

John and I were on our way back to my house later on that night. We had stayed at the fair until it finally had to close. I was glad Rachel had suggested we all go. We had a great time. It was also more time that I got to spend with John. We were working on getting our friendship back and it was beginning to feel like old times again.

When we were close to my house, John turned the radio down.

"Do you have plans tomorrow, Brooke?"

I looked away from the window and to him. He glanced at me, but went back to paying attention to the road.

"Not really. Why?"

"I thought me and you could hang out," he said. "Maybe have a movie marathon. You know, like we always used to."

I smiled thinking back to all of the movie marathons John and I had had when we were younger. They usually always consisted of the same movies, but we always enjoyed them.

"That sounds like fun," I said.

"Great," he said. "We can watch them at my place. You haven't been there yet."

Not only had John asked me to hang out with him again, but he invited me to his home. I was beyond happy now. It felt like we really were close again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope all of you like it. Thank you to everyone who has read, subscribed, and/or commented. I really appreciate it :). Please comment and let me know what you think of the story so far.