Status: In Progress.

Listen to Your Heart

Catching Up

The next day, I woke up pretty late. I got out of bed and stretched for a couple of moments. After that, I walked out of my bedroom and into the living room where my mom was watching TV.

"Not have to work today?" I asked her.

"No, they didn't need me," she said.

"Oh, that's good," I said as I sat down on the couch.

We watched TV for a while in silence until we heard the door bell ring. My mom got up to answer it while I remained on the couch.

"Mrs. M," I heard a familiar voice say. "What's up?"

"How many times have I told you, dear?" my mom asked. "Call me, Ellen. You make me sound so old."

I rolled my eyes at my mom's comment, but smiled.. She tried acting younger than she was sometimes.

"Sorry, Ellen. I just like-"

The person stopped talking as they entered the living room. I looked and found it to be Rachel. Her eyes were wide as she gaped at me with her mouth wide open. I almost laughed at her expression, but held it in.

"Brooke?" she asked. "Is that you?"

"In the flesh," I said as I stood up.

"Oh my, God," she said. "Oh my, God! Brooke, I've missed you!"

I almost stumbled as she ran at me and pulled me into a tight hug. I laughed as I hugged her back. She was almost jumping up and down from excitement.

"I've missed you, too."

"What are you doing here?" she asked as she pulled away. "I thought you were never coming back?"

"Well, I guess it was stupid of me to think that," I said. "This is my home. I was bound to come back sometime."

"I'm so glad you did," she said. "You look great! I barely recognized you with that blonde hair. It suits you."

"Thanks," I said. "You look great, too."

"I try," she said. "Anyways, how long have you been back?"

"I just got here yesterday," I said.

"Yeah, and what a wonderful surprise that was for me," my mom said as she smiled. "She didn't even tell me she was coming back. Well, I guess I'm going to go into the kitchen and give you girls some privacy. Would either of you like anything?"

"No," Rachel said. "I'm fine Mrs.-I mean Ellen."

My mom smiled as she walked out of the living room to leave me and Rachel alone to talk.

"We have so much to catch up on," Rachel said as she sat down on the couch and I followed suit. "How have things been?"

"Great," I said. "Things have been great. How about you?"

"Same," she said. "I have a boyfriend now."

"You have a boyfriend?" I asked almost snorting. "The girl who always said she never would? That they just got in the way of things?"

"Yeah, I know," she said. "It's weird isn't it? I never would have imagined either. I guess I just grew up."

"Well, that's good," I said. "Who is it? Would I know him?"

"Yes," she said. "It's Garrett Nickelsen."

My eyes widened as I remembered him. He was one of John's good friends in high school. I had hung out with him several times. I never would have imagined those two together.

"Really?" I asked.

"Yeah," she said. "He's great, We've been dating for a while now. He's in a band with John and the rest of those guys they were always hanging around with with."

I winced as she mentioned his name. I knew they had all started a band together. Though it hurt to ever think about John, I still listened to them. I really enjoyed their music.

"Sorry," she said. "I didn't know that that would still upset you."

"It's fine," I said. "How is he anyways?"

"He's fine," she said. "Really enjoying life. He was a mess when you left though. I still don't think he's fully over it."

It hurt me to hear that. I had never intended to hurt John when I left. I was leaving for my own sake. It felt like it was something I needed to do for myself to try to get over him. I learned that I would probably never be fully over him.

"Hey, Garrett and I are going out tonight," she said. "You should go."

"I'd rather not," I said, politely. "I don't want to intrude."

"Don't be crazy," she said. "Besides, it's just a little get-together with some other people."

"I don't know if I'm ready for-"

"I am not taking no for an answer, Brooke," she said, sternly.

"If you're sure," I said.

"I am," she said. "We'll pick you up at seven so be ready. I'm going to go now. I'll see you tonight."

"Okay," I said as I got up with her and walked with her to the door. "Bye, Rachel."

"Bye, Brooke," she said and turned to me. "It's really nice to have you back."

"It's nice to be back," I said as I smiled.

I closed the door after she left and sighed. How was she always able to talk me into things?
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys like it. Thank you to everyone who has read, subscribed, and/or commented. I really appreciate it :). John will make an appearance soon. Please comment and let me know what you think of the story so far.