Status: In Progress.

Listen to Your Heart

Reunited

As I checked my appearance in the mirror after putting on the dress I picked out to wear, I sighed. I didn't really want to go the get-together. I didn't know who would be there and I wasn't really ready to be going out yet. I had just got home and I was barely even settled in, but Rachel was pretty much forcing me and there was no getting around that. I had tried many times in the past.

I finally left my room and walked down the stairs to look for my mom. I found her in the living room reading a book.

"Mom, do I look alright?" I asked her.

She looked up from her book after a moment to look at me.

"You look wonderful."

"The dress isn't too much?" I asked.

"No, it's just right," she said as she smiled.

I nodded my head as we heard a horn honking outside.

"I guess that's them," I said. "I'll try not to be home too late."

"You're not a teenager anymore, Brooke," she said. "Go out and have some fun. You need it."

I smiled as I grabbed my purse from the coffee table and walked to the door. Rachel was waving at me from the passenger's seat and motioned for me to get in the backseat behind her. I walked to it and got inside.

"Hey, Brooke!" she said. "I'm glad I didn't have to come in there and drag you out."

"Sounds like something you would do," I said as I buckled in. "Hello, Garrett."

"Hi, Brooke," he said as he began driving. "Long time, no see."

"Yeah, I know," I said. "How have things been?"

"Great," he said. "The band's doing pretty good and we're having fun with it."

"I'm sure you are," I said. "You guys are very talented."

"You've listened to our music?" he asked.

"I have," I said. "I really love it."

"Thank you," he said as he smiled.

"Enough about that," Rachel said. "I really love your dress, Brooke."

"Thanks," I said. "I wasn't really sure what to wear. I love yours, too."

"Thanks," she said. "You and I have got to go shopping sometime. I know this cute boutique that wasn't here when you were. You would love it."

"So begins the girl talk," Garrett sighed.

Rachel and I both laughed at his comment and continued talking until we made it to the restaurant. I had never seen it before so I was guessing that it opened up when I was gone. It looked nice from the outside.

Garrett parked the car and we all got out of it. I smoothed down my dress and followed them inside. It was as nice as it was on the outside. Tables and booths were sitting all around and I seen a bar on one side.

"I see Jared, Pat, and Kennedy over there," Garrett said as he pointed them out.

Rachel and I followed him as he lead us to the big table where they were sitting. Girls who I assumed to be there girlfriends were sitting with them.

"Great," I mumbled to Rachel. "You didn't tell me everyone had dates with them."

"Oh, don't worry about it, Brooke," she said. "It's just a get-together."

I rolled my eyes as we got to the table.

"Hey, guys," Garrett said as he pulled out a chair for Rachel and then me.

"Hey," Kennedy said. "Who's that?"

"You really don't remember me?" I asked.

Kennedy looked at the rest of the guys and they shrugged their shoulders at him.

"No," he said. "Should I?"

"It's Brooke," Rachel said to him.

"Brooke Matthews?" he asked.

"That's right," she said to him.

"Wow," he said. "I can't believe it. I couldn't recognize you."

"It's fine," I said.

"Well, it's good to have you back," he said. "This is my girlfriend, Kristen."

"Nice to meet you," she said.

"Nice to meet you, too," I said, politely.

The rest of the guys introduced me to their girlfriends. Sarah was Pat's girlfriend and Whitney was Jared's. They all seemed nice as we talked for a while.

"And here's our final guest," Garrett said. "Late as usual."

I had my back turned to whoever it was so I didn't know who he was talking about.

"Hey, guys. Sorry I'm late."

My eyes widened as I recognized the voice instantly. It was John. I was not ready too see him. I should have known he would come since the rest of the guys were there, but I wasn't thinking about it. I seen Rachel look at me from the corner of my eye to see my reaction.

"Who's the blonde?" John asked from behind me.

I took a deep breath before I stood up and turned to face him. He had another girl with him, which did not make it any easier for me. He looked at me for a moment before realization dawned on his face.

"B-Brooke?" he asked, sounding surprised.

Many emotions flooded through me at that moment. His appearance hadn't changed much. A few different things here and there. Looking at him made me feel like I was in high school again.

"Do you know her?" the girl that he had brought asked him.

He just nodded as he stared at me. Almost as if believing I weren't really there.

"I-I need some air," I said and quickly walked to the doors to get outside.

When I made it outside of the restaurant, I leaned against the wall and closed my eyes, trying not to cry. I took deep breaths to help calm myself down.

I felt like I was in high school all over again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope all of you like it. Thank you to everyone who had read, subscribed, and/or commented. I really appreciate it :). Please comment and let me know what you think of the story so far.