The Heart of Neverland

Prologue

One night, four years ago, I went on an incredible adventure. For one night that seemed to last forever, I allowed myself to be swept off my feet and flown away to a land filled with pirates, mermaids, lost boys and fairies. A place where nobody ever had to grow up.

The night had been a delicious dream, a fantasy so near to reality that I wonder now if it hadn't been a dream at all. At times I wonder if perhaps it had been real, real as the London air that surrounds me now as I lean out my second story window, my gaze focusing upwards towards the beautiful star.

But no, it had only ever been a story, a story with a hero just as captivating as it's plot. A story who's hero was as mischievous as he was good. A hero who's devilish features and obnoxious red hair I can still see now when I close my eyes...

When I close my eyes I can still feel his arms as they caught me, leaving the pirates to puzzle why no splash had come from the water below.

I can still hear him whisper, "I'll never let you go. I promise."

But it was just a dream, it had to be. Because if it was real, then I have to face the facts and a broken heart.

Because my dearest Peter Pan, you broke your promise.