In a Heartbeat

Chapter Sixteen

Once I had found my father, I was subjected to a lot of anger. It was not directed at me exactly, more towards the Tyronian Kingdom, but I still felt horrible about it. This fighting between the two kingdoms, as well as Matthew’s kingdom, was all because of me. It was my arranged marriage that had angered the Tyronians so much that they were forced to take action. I wished to be at peace with everyone, so war upset me. Father informed me that he had received a scroll that essentially said that they demanded the marriage is called off. If so, they would be at peace with our Kingdom and would even start trades with us and be allies, if we desired. But, if we refused, then war would follow and many lives would be lost, perhaps even including mine if that was what it took to stop the uniting of the kingdoms. My father was outraged by the proposal as it backed him into a corner. He told me he was going to speak to the Zilani royal family before he declared his position, but that it was looking like there was going to be bloodshed.

Days later, my father spoke to me again about the war, claiming we were now expecting attacks from the Tyronian Kingdom. I was to have guards accompanying me at all times and to not stray too far from the village. Armies were moving in from some of the smaller towns to protect the main village of our Kingdom in case another capture attempt was made. My father reassured me I was going to be safe and that the marriage would continue. Once I was no longer in his presence, disappointment overcame me. Just when I thought that I might be able to not marry Matthew, the idea was taken away so quickly. I also spent less time with Brian while the preparations for any attacks were made as I was busy with the formalities and he was either cleaning or spending time with his family in case worse came to worst. Our paths barely crossed for what seemed like eternity, so I treasured every small moment that we had together. Life was really unfair towards us.

Being surrounded by so much worry and stress eventually got to me, and I decided I needed some time alone in a quiet place. My room was no longer sufficient, the beach was full of workers and younger children, and the forest was occupied with soldiers and men pulling down trees to build walls surrounding the village. Everything was so noisy it made my head ache. So I left. I got on my horse and we cantered away, heading south. Any time that a guard questioned me, I retorted with a statement that assured him I was fine and that he was to keep quiet because I was the Princess. It worked every time, and I soon found myself in a quiet place next to the shoreline. The trees were dense and provided some shade for my horse to relax in after I tied her to a sturdy branch. Despite it being time for autumn, the weather was still rather magnificent, so the shelter from the bright sun was appreciated. All I could hear was the sounds of the waves crashing and the chatter of the birds, and it was the best thing in the world. As I sat down and leaned against a tree, watching my horse, every single muscle in my body relaxed. My eyes drooped and eventually I unwillingly took a nap.

When I woke, I still felt completely calm, a complete opposite of how I had felt ever since I had returned from Matthew’s Kingdom. My mind finally saw clearly again and I noticed how wrong it was of me to run away like this. I should have brought along a guard or two in case I was attacked, once again. Guilt flooded me, but disappeared an instant later. If anything, this was the perfect opportunity. I was alone, in close proximity to the Tyronian Kingdom, and needed to stop the marriage from happening. Put them all together and I had one great idea. I mounted my horse and took off heading south east, straight to the enemy Kingdom. About an hour later I was at the edge of it, speaking to a guard who stood on the main path that led to the main village of Tyronian. I was slightly wet, having ridden through a few small showers of rain on the way, but I had no care for that. All that mattered was me completing this mission. The guard escorted me to the village and straight to the castle that housed the royal family, knowing I was no threat to him or the family. Nerves filled my stomach as I approached the tall stone building, knowing what awaited me inside. Oh the things I did for my true love…

The guard led my horse to the stables and assured me he would see she was taken care of, so I entered the castle. More guards led me down hallways and up spiralling staircases, both of which were decorated beautifully in the bright fiery colours of the Tyronian Kingdom, until I finally reached a large room that was occupied by a single throne. There sat the large man that was the King of Tyronian. He had a naturally pitch black beard and long black hair that was pulled back nicely. A golden crown with red jewels sat atop his head. The guards positioned themselves at the doorway as I walked up to the intimidating man. This was who set the soldiers on to Matthew in hopes of capturing me. His power was almost overwhelming.

“Princess Evangeline, what a nice surprise,” his low voice boomed as I came to a halt a few steps away from him. I think my lips formed a tiny smile, but I was suddenly too nervous to concentrate on it. This had to go perfectly…

“King,” I said awfully quietly with a tiny nod of my head.

“Which matters do you wish to discuss?” he questioned, clearly intrigued as to why I was here.

“I wish to discuss the marriage of Prince Matthew to me,” I replied and the King grimaced a bit.

“Really? Why would you, of all people, wish to discuss that with me?”

“Because I do not wish for it to happen, and you may be the last person who can stop the marriage from happening,” I answered in one large breath. He hesitated and I held a mouthful of air, hoping he would say something good in response to my outburst. If he did not… I would be in a lot of trouble.

“What exactly do you propose happens?” the King finally replied.

“I am uncertain. I was hoping that you would have an idea or two, but I would like to offer my assistance in any way, whether that be being captured, providing supplies for your Kingdom… Anything you need to stop the marriage.”

“That is definitely reassuring,” he replied with a slow nod. “But why would you desire the marriage to not occur? It is only for your benefit!” I could not help but chuckle a little at his remark.

“It is not. I do not wish to dwell on the reasons right here and now, but I can assure you that my decision is final, and I will completely support any plan that you have,” I explained to the Tyronian King. He stroked his beard as he stared at me, perhaps trying to judge whether or not I was sincere. “Sir, I left my Kingdom without my father knowing, I travelled alone to your Kingdom, not bringing any army of any form, I am taking the risk of being killed because I am trespassing, and now I am begging for assistance. I do not think that you should doubt me.”

“You have some fair reasons… I could do a few things to prevent the wedding if I really must, though I would be putting my own Kingdom in significant danger,” the King explained and I nodded, showing I understood. “But… If I had reassurance from you, a guarantee that you would somehow be able to assist in the defence of my Kingdom, then I would be prepared to aid you.”

“So we can make a deal?” I asked, feeling my stomach swell with a mixture of nerves and happiness.

“Yes, Princess. Let us talk about an agreement …” the King murmured with a smirk. We moved to a different room where I was offered a seat across from the King and his High Constable, a tall blonde man who provided insights on the army aspect of the plan, and we soon reached a conclusion that I was very happy with.

“So, purely to reiterate and make sure that we are all in agreement…” the King began as he took the parchment from the scribe who had documented the meeting. “Tyronian High Constable will ensure the killing of Zilani royal family through the use of his finest men.”

“Correct,” the High Constable nodded and I smiled a little, liking the thought of Matthew no longer being in my life.

“Therefore, arranged marriage of Prince Matthew to Princess Evangeline is no longer able to occur. Princess Evangeline marries a different man and gains control of the Cardolian Kingdom,” the King continued.

“Correct,” I grinned.

“War will follow the murder of the Zilani Kingdom’s leaders. Princess Evangeline will repay her debt to the Tyronian Kingdom by providing supplies, ranging from food to metals, as well as her own army troops, to aid the Tyronian Kingdom in successfully invading and conquering the Zilani Kingdom.”

“Correct,” I stated, the King smiling now too.

“Once the war is over, with Zilani now belonging to the Tyronian Kingdom, the Tyronian and Cardolian Kingdoms will be at peace indefinitely, and trades will be considered,” the King finished, setting down the parchment on the table.

“That is all correct,” I said with a slight nod of my head.

“Scribe! Draw this up into a contract that we can all sign!” the King ordered and the scribe did as he was told. Shortly after, I was signing the parchment, very happy with the result of my visit. It was a complete win situation for me, and I could hardly wait for it to be real.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feel free to pester me with comments so I update this story. I have finished writing it, so just need to post it for you guys now, but keep on forgetting.

I hope you enjoyed this one, and please leave a comment with your thoughts on what's going to happen (and any feedback on my writing). Thanks! :)