In a Heartbeat

Chapter Twenty

Matthew’s POV

I rode along the borders of the Cardolian Kingdom, a Kingdom that would be ruled by me in a mere few months. The views we rode past were admirable, and there were a few spots that looked perfect for farming but were not yet utilised. I would soon change that. Once I was in charge I would be able to make the Kingdom truly flourish and become far richer. With the increased income and resources, we could be prepared to fight the Tyornian Kingdom and defeat them. Next we could go to war with, or buy, other neighbouring Kingdoms, and continue until we ruled everything. I would be the King of the world. No one would be able to question me. I would be invincible.

But of course, I needed a woman by my side. She had to be a respectable Queen who would support my every decision. Evangeline appeared to think too much for herself, sometimes, though that did not faze me too much yet. It could be an advantage. But perhaps it was not. Today I was being provided with another opportunity to meet with her, and I would use this time wisely to judge her character further. Evangeline was showing who she was beneath the polite Princess face she had on in front of her father. In our moments alone, I was allowed to see behind that barrier and know my future wife much better. I was not complaining, though she was not perfect.

As my troop approached the castle I would soon be the King of, I could clearly see Evangeline awaiting me. She was wearing a beautiful dress, had her hair styled in loose curls, and the midday sun gave her an orange glow. My future wife looked heavenly. For what seemed like the millionth time in such a short period, my crotch got the tingling feeling of arousal as I stared at her. I was impatient for our wedding in more than one way. Somehow I disregarded those thoughts and dismounted, Evangeline taking a few steps forward to meet me. We embraced for a long time and I breathed in her wonderful scent. It would be truly great when she was with me every single day.

“I have missed you, Matthew,” she said quietly against my chest. I placed a kiss on top of her head.

“And I, you.”

“I am glad that you made the journey safely,” Evangeline said after she pulled out of my arms.

“Me too. The lack of attacks from the Tyronian Kingdom has me concerned. I wonder if they are planning a larger scale attack on either of us, since they will not be preparing to propose peace,” I grumbled as Evangeline took my hand and led me inside. I quietened down in the presence of unworthy slaves, not wishing for them to know of my thoughts. Fortunately, the castle was exceptionally warm, and I was able to take off my dampened jacket and dry off in front of a fire in a private room. I despised the retched weather winter gave us immensely…

“I have been considering the same idea. I am concerned because the wedding is so much closer now,” she replied as she took a seat close to me. I turned my hands by the fire, loving the heat.

“There has been talk between my father and I, and the leaders of our army, of my Kingdom striking them before they can put their suspected plan into action. We feel it is unnecessary to wait, and we cannot risk hostility on the wedding day. If we can take down some of their army, then we reduce the chance of them attacking in the near future. Also, I have been told to ask you and your father if you will lend us some armies to aid in the battle,” I explained slightly enthusiastically to my bride. I enjoyed war because I loved winning. However, she appeared a lot less motivated. Her face remained blank. Did she disagree? How could she possibly think I was wrong? Clearly, the scheme my Kingdom had thought of was good and needed to be put into action.

“I understand,” Evangeline whispered with a small nod, apparently a bit lost in thought. I demanded her attention on the important matter, so I grasped her hands and directed her focus to me.

“Is there something wrong? Does that strategy have a flaw?” I questioned. Perhaps she could see something that I could not, or her Kingdom was aware of information that we were not.

“No, I do not think so…” she murmured.

“What is it then?”

“I do not wish to give you some of my armies,” Evangeline replied after hesitation.

“That is preposterous. Why on earth not?”

“I will not send so many men to their deaths like that. They have no chance of winning.”

“Alongside my armies, they will do our Kingdoms justice and fight for a great cause. Their deaths will be very noble and beneficial. What is wrong with that?” I retorted. She winced a little and I realised I had been gripping quite strongly onto her hands. I released them and frowned, annoyed at myself for hurting her. But how could she not understand?

“They are better to stay in my Kingdom, alive, and defend us when they attack, if they do,” Evangeline stated simply. It was a fair strategy, but had too many disadvantages. We should seize the moment and attack while we still had the upper hand. They would not expect us to strike, which would give us such a huge lead on the battlefield. Needless to say, I disagreed completely and believed she should sacrifice some of her men for the greater good. It was a simple decision, and she had failed to conclude correctly. Evangeline cared for her people in a way that she shouldn’t. A ruler of a Kingdom could not value every single life of their Kingdom, especially in a circumstance like this. She was too kind-hearted, and she would not simply be quiet and agree with me when need be.

“Evangeline, this is very important. I need you to agree with me,” I said in a voice that was stern but as polite as I could manage. The last thing I needed was for her to back away from our wedding. Our uniting was indescribably crucial. She looked away and I sighed. I had to be careful. “Dear, I am sorry… It means a lot to me that you support me, and I did not expect you to say no…”

“Well, as I am to be ruling by your side, I deserve an equal say in what happens. I desire to be a Queen who is fit to make decisions too,” Evangeline explained. “I like you, Matthew, you know that. But I do not want to be made invisible by you once we are wed.”

“I understand,” I lied. I could not see what she was meaning at all. A Queen does not have that much say in matters. My mother does not have any say. She is there to support my father and bear his children. Evangeline’s mother appears to be rather quiet too. Other Kingdoms I have visited showed the same ideals. How could she think that she would be different? After a while in silence, we were able to dismiss the angry feelings and talk about other topics. I was still fuming inside, but managed to be respectful. When we went to her bed for the night, her slave was in her room cleaning. As always, he grimaced when he saw me and gave me hateful looks as he left. Despite the argument I was still boiling about, I held onto Evangeline tighter that night. She was my woman, and I could not wait until everyone knew that, until it was official because we were wed.

The next morning I met with Evangeline’s father, who sided with his daughter about supplying armies. He agreed that she was making a mistake, but also said that she had to begin to make her own decisions as a ruler and bear with the consequences. Frustrated, I left soon after and met with my own father moments after my arrival. I relayed my version of the events, with how Evangeline would not agree on important matters and how I was questioning her ability to be my Queen. Even though it was clear that she liked me, that was no longer enough for me. He understood completely and we discussed the issue intently for the rest of the afternoon.

“This wedding must continue, my son. You know this is important, to say the least,” he told me as he paced his royal room, the room that would soon be mine.

“I know, father! I am not suggesting that it should not occur!” I snapped before running my hands through my hair, pulling on it hard. That woman had aggravated me to no end!

“There is no other solution! If she is not fit to be your Queen, we would have no other choice but to prevent the ceremo-” he started. I raised my eyebrows at his sudden halting.

“What?”

“There is one other option… Risky, but it might be the only possibility left…” my father said slyly.

“Well, do tell me!”

“After the wedding, not immediately but after a month or so, we could send our assassin to kill her. He would make it appear like an accident, or a natural death. This would mean you do not lose your ruling power, and you will be able to rule both Kingdoms on your own… Yes... This would solve everything…” my father grinned wickedly at me. “What do you say, son? Is that a good solution?”

“Yes, father. You are a true genius,” I smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Evil Matthew, huh?

Things are going to keep getting more intense from now on, as you'd expect. Let me know your predictions in the comment section!

Also, I really mean this when I say it: your comments remind me to update this!
I actually forget I have a story to update, so please, pester me after a few days for another update so I remember to post more!