In a Heartbeat

Chapter Twenty Five

Brian’s POV

I did not sleep. I could not. It was simply impossible. Thoughts sped through my mind, considering every single possibility of the wedding day, and running through the better options multiple times. There was of course the possibility that somehow, fate decides to be nice to me, and things go well and I marry Evangeline, the love of my life. It was such a beautiful picture. Her in that amazing gown, me in the suit I had spent all of my savings on for today, and the perfect spring setting around us. I was not confident, however. The odds were stacked up so high against me coming out of this alive, if Evangeline decided to go through with attempting to marry me instead. It hurt, but I was willing to risk it all to be happy with her, Eva, my true love.

I was informed that I was to not enter the Princess’ sleeping chambers today, and should busy myself with other small tasks during the morning until the wedding, just before lunch. I did just that. After asking other servants, I soon found a job of going around the castle and taking care of the wall torches. No one minded that I was in a suit as it was still black, and everyone was dressed formally for the occasion. Some torches needed to be replaced, others cleaned, and it was a simple enough task that I thought would still manage to keep my mind of the marriage. However, I was incorrect. I was at the end of the castle that the Zilani royal family were staying in, at the bottom of a staircase, when I heard Matthew’s terrible voice. Instantly, I was filled with despair about today. He was a woman stealer. I kept my back to the staircase the footsteps and voices were coming down, remaining busy with the torch.

“I no longer wish to do this, father,” Matthew complained.

“You know you will not have to be with her for long! Just a month or so and then the contract will come into action. She will be gone, and you will rule everything,” his father replied. “Now, let us stop talking about that before someone hears us!” Their footsteps became louder, and soon they were heading down the corridor, past my position. Matthew and his family, as well as Generals. But what were they talking about? She will be gone? Who? Evangeline? Why? What contract did he mention? Then it suddenly hit me. They were going to kill my Eva after the wedding. I leaned against the wall for support, putting my head in my hands as I tried to deal with the awful news. How could they plot such a thing? I had to stop them! I had to stop the wedding! It soon hit me that they had mentioned a contract, which meant solid evidence to present to my King who would take action against them. Without thinking, I raced up the staircase and to the guestrooms.

There, I went room by room, looking for a case that might hold the valuable information. No luck in the room with dresses, but then again, I doubted the Queen or Princess would be looking after it. Next, I fumbled through what I recognised as Matthew’s belongings. I took care to not take care, messing up anything I could. Bastard. But nothing. He did not have it in his room. I sprinted into the next room, but again, nothing was found. Paper documents, yes, but no plans for killing my lovely woman. I panicked, knowing I was running out of rooms to search. Perhaps they were intelligent enough to not bring it here? Maybe there was no hope at all! I slammed into another door and swore as the room was completely empty.

Next, I entered another room, grateful it had travelling gear in it. I opened the bag and grabbed onto a folder. Papers with horse information. Useless. I tossed it aside and grabbed another. Nothing. Another. Nothing. Just when I was about to cry out with frustration and give up, I found it. A script with information about an assassination. I scanned the writing quickly. One month after the wedding… King and Queen… Cardolian and Zilani Kingdoms… This must be it! I started laughing to myself as I fell on the ground, eyes open wide at the paper. I have proof that Matthew is a bad man! He cannot marry Evangeline! Oh no, the wedding! I jumped up and ran out of the castle. In the distance I spotted horses galloping away, and one definitely had a woman in a white dress upon it. I am too late! I cannot run there fast enough! Then the stables caught my eye. They were not that far away, but I do not know how to ride a horse! I had only ridden on one behind someone else… But I had to do it. For Eva. I sprinted to the stables and took a horse out that already had been saddled. I jumped on and got the horse up to a canter, as fast as I dared to go. Hold on, Evangeline, I am coming to save you! My heart was pounding so hard with anxiety and excitement, I was surprised my chest managed to contain it. I was really doing this! I was riding a horse to save my lover! This was a day I would never forget… I spotted the wedding ceremony already underway by the church and guided the horse to it, only managing to lead it behind the gigantic gathering.

“Stop the wedding!” I yelled at the top of my lungs. The horse cantered behind the crowd of people from both Kingdoms that seemed more like an angry horde the closer I became to them. I attempted to steer the horse and make it stop, but instead it veered into the people, somehow finding a gap and riding straight towards Evangeline and Matthew. Oh no, how do I stop this thing? I growled as I pulled back on the reins, finally getting the horse to slow down quite a bit. It would have to do. Holding on tightly to the papers, I threw myself off the horse and it trotted away from the people who were now talking quite loudly.

“Silence!” Evangeline’s father shouted at the top of his lungs. Accordingly, everyone stopped talking. “What do you think you are doing?” I noticed that a few of the Generals had drawn their swords, but I ignored them. They would not strike me, not yet.

“I have important news, sir! And it cannot wait!” I exclaimed, holding up the script. I think I saw Matthew’s eyes widen. “My King, these are assassination plans that I found in Prince Matthew’s possession!” Everyone seemed to gasp.

“No! That is preposterous!” Matthew spluttered, lunging at me. I dodged him and moved closer to my King. Matthew glared at me, seemingly recognising that I was Evangeline’s personal slave, the one she was really polite too, and the one that he hated.

“Sir, I am not lying! I overheard him speaking about it, and went and searched for the documents! Read them for yourself!” I shouted before passing the papers into the King’s outstretched hands.

“Is this true?” Evangeline asked with large eyes. Her mouth was open with shock as well. I nodded and Eva looked back at a flustered Matthew. His father and army leaders also suddenly appeared anxious. “Matthew! Were you going to have me killed once we were married?”

“No! This pathetic slave is in love with you, and he has forged some papers to prevent you from marrying me! He is throwing a tantrum! He is delusional! He is insane! He-” Matthew cried.

“He is not insane! I have known him for a while and his mental state is normal! Now tell me the truth!” Eva screamed, her fists in balls as if she was about to strike him.

“It is true…” the Cardolian King suddenly said rather quietly. It was loud enough for me and Eva to hear. She whipped around to face her shocked father who held gently on to the paper.

“What? Father, no!” Evangeline said. Matthew was frozen, completely stunned like his father.

“It says here, on what is clearly not an imitation document, that the King and Prince of the Zilani Kingdom have a contract with their assassin to kill my daughter, Evangeline, after her marriage to their Prince. Once the Prince is a King and in control of the Cardolian Kingdom, the Queen is to be killed in what appears to be a natural incident or an accident, and Matthew is to gain control of both Kingdoms,” the King read out so most of the spectators could hear. He believed me… I had finally exposed Matthew for the horrible person he truly is. And not a second too late either.

“That is a lie!” Matthew’s father shouted, a General at his side with his sword held out. “How dare you accuse me and my son of such treason!” One of the Cardolian Generals jumped in the way and forced them to back away from our King.

“This is not a lie! You were going to kill my daughter!” he boomed with such anger.

“Please, calm down!” my Queen called out as she rushed to her husband’s side. “The last thing you need is a massacre!”

“You cannot prove that that is real! That slave could be a magnificent artist, and could be able to imitate our-” the Zilani King began.

“That is true. Anything is possible!” my King said and I frowned. So now he suddenly had no faith in me? “But I would much rather believe my own loyal man than you. Now, I suggest that you and your people leave.” That voice sent chills down my spine. I looked up at Evangeline who was staring at her father, clearly stunned by the situation.

“I am not leaving without Evangeline!” Matthew suddenly proclaimed, grabbing her waist and pulling her around to face him once more. “Evangeline, dear, you know I love you and would never do anything to harm you! Please, still marry me! We are meant to be!”

“Let go of me, you fool!” Eva hissed before pulling away from the Prince. The priest backed away from the fight, clearly a bit scared.

“Zilani Kingdom! Show your support for the marriage!” the Zilani King shouted. His people stood and cheered, following their leader. My King’s brow furrowed as the other King turned to him once more. “You must continue with the ceremony. You have a lot of people here wanting it to continue.” The noise quietened down as everyone awaited the Cardolian King’s reply.

“May I have everyone’s attention!” an unfamiliar voice called from the crowd. We turned to face them and noticed there were about twenty men in the crowd, scattered all around, who now stood confidently. The one closest to us was the one who was speaking. “We are from the Tyronian Kingdom, and I think you would like to hear what we have to say.” I froze. There was no way that that could be good. They would kill us all.
♠ ♠ ♠
You just have to comment on this chapter!