In a Heartbeat

Chapter Three

Prince Matthew’s POV

My stunning stallion trotted forwards behind my father and mother’s horses towards the castle that my future wife lived in. I felt nervous again, but nothing compared to how I felt before our first meeting. Many people had told me that she was the finest Princess they had ever seen, and they were correct in every aspect. She was beautiful, so beautiful… And when we talked, there was an instant connection that I felt, which was unlike anything I had ever felt before. She was the one for me, and she was definitely fit to be a Queen alongside of me. Together we could truly rule the world.

The horses began to slow as they approached the castle and beautiful music met my ears. There were plenty of people on the streets watching us as we dismounted, then walked through the gates of the wall that surrounded the front of the castle to hide it from the city. Just in front of the door stood the finely dressed King and Queen of Cardolian, their two daughters off to one side, and I caught Evangeline’s eye. She showed a tiny smile to acknowledge me, and I could not help but grin widely back at her. Evangeline’s beauty was amazing, and I was in disbelief every time I came to be in her presence.

“Welcome,” the King boomed with a great friendly smile, greeting us all into his home. My mother and father busied themselves with talking to the other King and Queen, while I walked over to Evangeline.

“Evangeline, it is a pleasure to see you again,” I said as I took her hand in mine, kissing it.

“It is a pleasure to have your company again,” she replied. I glanced over at her younger sister who was staring at me with wide eyes filled with desire.

“You must be Princess Abigail. It is also a pleasure to meet you,” I said and the young woman curtseyed to me before I focused my attention back to Evangeline. I watched as Evangeline looked at her father who gave her a severe look, then back at me, her eyes saddened momentarily.

“Please, come inside,” Evangeline said ever so softly before walking after her parents, still holding onto my hand. I repositioned it so we linked fingers and saw no reaction from her, though I definitely enjoyed the feeling of her soft skin against mine. After a short walk inside the grand castle, we entered a wonderfully decorated room with a nicely set up feasting table and sat down at it. I made certain that I was to sit next to Evangeline as I was eager to continue talking to her and prove to my parents that she was a good choice to be my wife. If Evangeline did not impress my parents enough tonight, they would call off the marriage, and the consequences of that were unbearable to even consider. No, this had to go perfectly, tonight. The future of both of our Kingdoms depended upon it.

Over the gentle orchestra playing in the corner, we ate a splendid meal together. Both Evangeline and I were interrogated by the opposite parents, everyone eager to know everything to see just how suited we were for each other. By the end of the meal, I saw lots of agreeing looks on everyone’s faces. I think everyone was now content with the arrangement of our marriage, except for Princess Abigail. That was understandable; I had similar sibling jealousy occurring with my own sister, an example being tonight as she firmly stood her ground about not accompanying us to dinner.

“Well, Evangeline, it has truly been a pleasure to meet you,” my mother said a while after the meal had finished.

“I think we have made the correct decision,” my father added. I beamed at Evangeline and saw she too wore a smile, though it was nowhere near as big as mine. Underneath the table, I reached out to her, touching her hand and holding it in mine. Surprised, she made a cute little gasp before meeting my eyes. I flicked a finger over the small structures of her hand before looking at my parents.

“I am glad, mother and father,” I commented with a small nod of my head to them.

“Please excuse me, I am not feeling too well,” Evangeline suddenly said, pushing her chair back hurriedly and letting my hand slip away from hers. Everyone watched her leave the room, then turned to Evangeline’s father for his guidance.

“Matthew, I think you should go to her room and check on her,” he ordered and I stood quickly.

“Of course. Excuse me everyone. Thank you for the lovely meal,” I said before leaving too, following her path. When I got lost, I asked the servants for directions, and soon found her room. The door was shut, so I knocked gently, then entered when there was no reply. I looked around the room, seeing it was beautifully decorated with freshly picked flowers that gave a magnificent scent to the room, and candles were everywhere. It seemed perfectly romantic, which made me ponder about what she might have been planning for us tonight. Perhaps she liked me more than I thought? I was lost in the sight of her room that it took me a few seconds to realise that there was a loud humming coming from somewhere. Stepping in further, I saw the source; a black figure on the ground with his back to me.

“And I will love you… until the end of time…” he sung beautifully, now finished with his humming.

“What are you doing?” I questioned strictly, making the man jump and flick his head around to face me, shock written across his face.

“Oh, uh, Prince Matthew… I am cleaning my Princess’ floor… It is my duty…” the slave replied, holding a brush in his hand as if to prove it. I also noticed there was a bucket and a rag in front of him.

“Have you seen the Princess?”

“No, I have not. I thought she was having a meal with you,” he answered me with a slight snarl in his voice.

“Excuse me?” I growled. No one talks to me like that. I am a Prince!

“Uh, I said that I thought she was with you, Prince…” His reply was weak and pathetic as he realised he had made a mistake in talking to me in the manner that he did.

“I do not appreciate being talked to in that tone, you pathetic little slave!” My words made him cower slightly and he dropped the brush on the floor.

“Please… I am sorry…” he whimpered, backing away from me as I took a step towards him.

“What’s going on?” Evangeline’s voice called from behind me. I looked over my shoulder at her, seeing a confused look aimed at me.

“Your slave was talking back,” I answered simply, the slave looking at Evangeline for help.

“Brian, please leave us for the moment. I will call on you if I need your services again tonight,” she spoke kindly to the servant, though I do not know why. They did not deserve any respect, yet it seemed like she had some for this one. The slave scrambled to get his cleaning equipment, then hurried out of the room, shutting the door behind him.

“How do you feel now?” I asked her, lowering my voice to a gentle, quieter one.

“Better, thank you. I went outside for some fresh air and then came back.” There was a silence that I did not enjoy, so I walked over to her, sensing her becoming a bit uncomfortable.

“Our parents have decided that our marriage is a good thing. This is very good news,” I said, wanting to hold her hand again but not knowing how she would feel. I did not want to act inappropriately.

“I know,” Evangeline said simply. “If you do not mind, I wish to sleep now. I am still feeling a bit unwell.”

“Oh, of course…” I mumbled, hoping she would allow me to stay with her. I did not wish to stay in a spare room, but rather keep her company and continue to get to know her better.

“I wish you to leave, Matthew,” she said with a hint of anger when I did not leave.

“My apologies. Goodnight, Evangeline,” I said, controlling my disappointment from showing.

“Goodnight, Matthew…” I walked out and shut the door behind me, frowning the most I ever have. She did not trust me. My future wife did not trust me enough to share her bed with me. It was an honour to share a bed with a Princess, but I was the Prince who was to marry her! She should let me! Completely outraged, I stormed away to the guest sleeping chambers.
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you guys think of this chapter? Come on, you know I need comments to continue updating and writing....

For those who didn't know for certain, James = Jimmy (The Rev), since it's all fancy talk. You'll meet Zachary and Jonathan later... :)

Also, check out this and this if you want more Brian romance stories that are new-ish and being updated. For Matt ones, or other A7X ones, just check out my profile :)