Status: Hiatus.

Night World

Prologue.

Wormwood: population one-hundred and thirty-seven, made up of farmers, guards, students and the Council. But most importantly it held residency to two powerful witch families—the Sparks and the Hales. They have protected the citizens since the town was first established thirty years ago from what lies behind the brick walls and steel gates. Things you couldn't even dream of. Some people chose to ignore the things that go bump in the night. They chose to fight back.

From the outside Wormwood was the perfect little farming community. It never got too cold, so something was always in season. Everybody owned at least one type of farming animal. But on the inside, Wormwood was the perfect little fort. A barrier, set up by the aforementioned witches, kept out all supernatural beings. Everybody owned at least one form of weaponry. The children were raised with the knowledge of the supernatural. In school they were taught not only arithmetics and literature, but how to defend themselves should they find themselves outside the Barrier, or should the creatures find their way inside. Walking outside of the Barrier should never happen without permission, which you were rarely granted. That knowledge is instilled in them from the day they are given birth to. If someone disobeyed this rule they would not be scorned or lashed. What the Older Generation does is far worse punishment. They leave them to fend for themselves.

There is a cautionary tale told by both parents and teachers of a child of ten that ventured outside the Gate into the Forbidden Forest. It was morning by the time they realized he was gone, but they stilled had hope. So they sent a search party of eight out after the boy. Only three came back, and the child was never heard of again. Some say this a fictional tale made up to scare the children. Charlotte Wormwood might have been inclined to believe them if the small child had not been her mother and father's first born son.

Even with all this knowledge that the citizens of Wormwood held there were still some who wanted to leave their town of solace. Those who want freedom and were tired of the routine, no matter how safe it may be. Some people was just born for adventure, who thrive under pressure and laugh in the face of danger. Somewhere buried deep down Miss. Wormwood liked to believe she was one of those people.
♠ ♠ ♠
Following chapters will be longer.
Please put a review in the jar to feed the starvng vampires. ::cute:
Updates every Sunday and Wednesday, unless told otherwise.