Merry Christmas Kayleigh

one and only

"Where is he?" Kayleigh murmured, pulling at the curtain of the apartment she shared with Mikey for the hundredth time that evening. He had promised that he would be home by six so they could have a Christmas eve dinner together. It was ten past seven the last time she had looked, and the idea of spending Christmas Eve on her own was becoming more of a reality with each passing second.

Alone. Alone on Christmas Eve. The only other time this had happened had been a disaster. A very messy breakup on Christmas Eve morning left no time for her to make other arrangements and so she'd ended up getting very drunk, too drunk actually. She'd thrown up over her bed, and woke up on Christmas morning feeling like she was dying.

Her finger stroked the '1' button on her phone, the speed dial button to her Mother. With a press of a button she knew that she'd be able to go and stay with her family. No, no she couldn't do it. No matter how mad she was at him, she couldn't bring herself to do it. He would come home eventually, and she couldn't bring herself to know that he'd be waking up alone at Christmas. Instead her finger flicked to the '2' button, Mikey's speed dial. For the fifth time that night, she attempted to call her boyfriend. It was ringing, which was a good sign (for the other four times it had been switched off) but annoyingly it cut off at the third ring.

In frustration she threw her phone at the wall. It cracked, but when she inspected it afterwards, she couldn't see any external damage. She was about to switch it off when it started to ring. It was Mikey. For a second she considered switching it off. He’d ignored her, and yet she was supposed to answer when he called, no matter what? As always, though, she answered it. There was no way she would ever be able to ignore him, and as much as this fact annoyed her, in the end she knew it didn’t really matter.

“Hello?” Her feeble attempt at making her voice sound cold and angry didn’t fool Mikey, or maybe it did and he just chose to ignore it.

“Kayleigh! Hey!” His voice sounded out of breath with excitement. “Come outside will you?” Then he hung up. Nothing else, no explanation or anything.

Of course, she went outside. Their apartment was high up and so she was out of breath when she finally stepped outside into the cool December night air. Mikey was waiting by the door, almost bouncing up and down in excitement. He grabbed her hands and all the angry words that she had prepared melted away.

“Come on, come on! I have something to show you!” His grin was infectious and she found herself smiling and humming along to the Christmas song he was singing as he led her to the edge of the woods near their block of flats. It took a few minutes but when she finally got there, it was worth the wait.

A clearing that she hadn’t even known to be there had been decorated with hundreds, thousands maybe, of Christmas lights, all strung up on the surrounding trees. On the ground lay a blanket with a picnic basket next to it, and candles dotted the surrounding area. It was beautiful.

“Merry Christmas, Kayleigh.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't know if this is what you wanted
I hope you like it anyway.
You're wonderful.