Status: completed!

You're a Superhero

your blood is flowing beautifully

“You need any help with the dishes, mom?” I asked as I brought my plate to the kitchen sink. Looking up at my mom I watched her lips curl in a grateful smile, but shook her head.

“No, I got it. You can go on now.” She replied, nodding at me. I mumbled an ‘alright’ giving a small smile before I left.

I was walking up the stairs to my room when a familiar tune starting ringing out. My heart jumped in excitement rushing to pick up my cell phone, my feet thudding against the beige carpet.

Grabbing my phone from my desk by the window I breathed out a greeting. “Hey.”

I walked to the end of my bed and slowly went to lie down on my stomach, setting my elbows on the teal colored pillows. When I heard his deep chuckle coming from the other line, my smile grew.

“I think I like you picking up the phone breathless.”

Even through the phone I could see the smirk on his face, I laughed shaking my head. “I bet you do, so what’s up?”

“Could you meet me at Emily’s place? I-uh-” I frowned once I heard the hesitation in his voice. “I need to tell you something.”

I swallowed, my mind whirling with questions. Licking my lips, I took a deep breath trying to keep my voice steady. “Is... it bad?”

“No!” He shouted through the phone, I pulled the phone away from my ear in surprise. “I mean, no... It’s not bad...” He mumbled something that I couldn’t hear.

“Oh... ok.”

“Don’t worry baby… I just need to tell you something.” Pressing my lips together, I blushed as he lowered his voice, “and I also wanna see your beautiful face.”

“I want to see you too…” I replied feeling shy. Even though Paul and I have been together for half a year, he was still able to make me nervous. Something that he thought was cute as he tells me whenever I blush or mumble something. I honestly didn’t think that I would fall for him so fast, but when three months passed… I found myself in love with him.

I never told him how I felt, so I wasn’t sure if he had an idea or not. Maybe he did. I wouldn’t know because he hasn’t hinted anything, or told me how he felt. I was hoping that it’d be soon, because I really did love him, and I was hoping that he felt the same way.

It didn’t matter if it’s said in a special way, or not. All that did matter, to me, was the look and the way he says it. That would be special enough for me.

When we ended the call, I jumped up from my bed and changed into a pair of jeans, and grabbed a light jacket. Since it was nearing summer I didn’t bother with a thicker coat. Paul said that he was already on his way, and I didn’t want to keep him waiting so without looking back I closed my door and jogged down the stairs.

I walked into the living room where my father was sitting watching TV. “Hey dad, can I borrow the truck?”

He turned his head to look at me and shook his head, “The truck is in the shop, remember?”

I groaned, and ran a hand over my face. “Ugh, I forgot.” I blew out a breath and nodded, “Okay, I can just walk then.”

He just nodded and turned back to the television. I snorted, shaking my head as I walked to the front door and slipping on my Vans.

“Sam, where are you going?” I twisted around and saw my mom standing by the kitchen, drying her hands with a dish towel.

“I’m going to meet Paul at Emily’s.”

“Emily Young?” I nodded in response and threw my coat on. “Oh, how are you going?”

“Two legs and a heartbeat,” I said with a cheeky grin. She chuckled and told me to be careful and not to be back too late.

A couple of minutes later I was walking down the road, staring at the sky. It was a mix between dark blue and orange since the sun was just disappearing. Since I was going with two legs, I figured that I’d take a short-cut through the woods, a regular route for people who are walking. With a shrug I turned and walked through the trees, I’d get there faster this way before it got too dark.

I sighed, humming a soft tune as I looked around. A glance at the sky made me frown as I turned to the path, it was getting darker by the minute. I better hurry.

Once I sped up my strides I bumped into something solid. What? Furrowing my brows I looked up to see that the solid object had been a person, a male. I opened my mouth to apologize, but froze as I stared into abnormal glowing red eyes.

“Hello.”

His deep low voice sounded like silk, it was soothing in an eerie way. I swallowed and bit my lip as I stared at him. He screamed danger.

“Hm… not going to say anything huh? Well... that’s a shame. I thought you’d make this a little more fun for me.” He grinned down at me, tilting his head. He closed his eyes and breathed in, “You smell delicious. And with your heart pumping… your blood is flowing beautifully.”

What the heck? Who says that shit? I rubbed my arm, subconsciously barricading myself as I took a step back. “Um…ok. It’s uh- nice to meet you? But I have to be somewhere.” And I walked passed him, I shook my head, what a weirdo. I grunted as I bumped into something else, rubbing my forehead I looked up and gasped, my heart pumping hard against my chest. No way.

He tsked. “No, no, no. I tell you when you leave, got it?” He growled the last bit as he pushed me up against a tree. I yelped in surprise and started to struggle against his hold panicking. My breaths coming out in urgent puffs, my heart pounded as I stared into his red eyes. Scanning the area, I checked to see if I was near a house, looking for any source of light. There was nothing, not even the sound of a vehicle running. Oh God… I’m gonna die.

“You were too easy.” I snapped my head towards him, my fear keeping me silent. He continued with his silky voice. “So… I want you to run.”

My feet touched the ground, he let me go. “W-what?”

“Run.” I watched his lips curl into a grin, sharp teeth extending. Oh my God, with a gasp I turned and ran.

I desperately wanted to call out for someone, but then he might end his little game faster. There was no way I was going to die after two minutes! Thoughts swam through my mind as I ran. My parents… I didn’t tell them that I loved them before I left. Paul. He doesn’t know how I felt about him.

Frustration took over the fear. Stupid Paul, this was his entire fault. I ignored the fact that I was being selfish, but I was about to die so I had an excuse to be. I huffed, my shoes hitting the ground. Now I don’t get to tell him that I love him! He was the one who told me to go to Emily’s to see him, because he had something to tell me. Well, look what happened!

I started to slow down, readying myself to give up. Thoughts of my family, my boyfriend, and my friends popped back in my head. Never in my entire life did I think that my life would end by a damn vampire.

I knew what he was.

A vampire, a cold one from the legends my dad used to tell me before I went to bed. Since I’ve finally encountered a vampire, all I hope for now is for the protectors of our land to be real too, if they're not… Then I’m dead meat.

I growled in frustration and forced myself to continue running, my legs burning, urging me to stop. I don’t think that I could continue running… but I didn’t want go without a fight. I had something to live for. Even knowing that running was just making this more fun for that damn bloodsucker, I continued, my chest heaving as I breathed.

Tears spilled from my eyes, as I heard two howls fill the forest walls. I stopped running, and turned around. A deep chuckle echoed through the woods, making the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. “Giving up already?” He landed in front of me from a tree.

“I don’t need to run anymore,” I sputtered out my words, as I started backing away from him. They’re real... I can’t believe they’re real.

“Why?” He growled out his words, “Because of the stupid dogs?”

The vampire frightened the life out of me, there was no denying it. But I believed in the protectors that I’ve heard about. If cold ones were real, then the shape-shifters would be real too. I gasped in pain, when I felt his cold hand grab onto my arm.

“Let go of me!” I cried, struggling against his hold, trying to pry his ice cold fingers off of my arm.

“No! I didn’t chase you for nothing!”

Before he made another move towards me, a blur of some sort ripped him away. I thought that my arm would also rip out of my body along with him, but it didn't. Thankfully the—shock?—made him release his hold on me. I shouted out in surprise when I felt something furry around my waist as it pulled me back. Looking down I gasped when the massive paw moved and soon I felt my hair fly as a large wolf jumped over me to join the fight.

I cowered backwards until my back hit the tree, I wanted to turn and run, but the curiosity was more dominate. I wanted to see the legendary shape-shifters. My mouth dropped from the sight, three massive wolves were fighting against the vampire.

I stared in awe, they moved so fast it was unbelievable. Whines came from the wolves as the vampire punched, and threw them around. Ground moving growls rumbled from their bodies as they jumped up and back into action.

The one that stood out to me most was the big dark silver wolf. I don’t know what it was. I think it was the shine his silver coat gave off from the moonlight, or the fact that he gave off a frightening angry aura. I gasped when he was hit and thrown into a tree, something pulling me to him to check if he was ok. My heart ached at the thought of him in pain and I wasn’t sure why.

Just as I moved toward him he growled at me, and I stopped in my tracks. Once he was sure I wouldn’t move he ran to the vampire again. This time, when the silver wolf bit into his arm he pulled back. I closed my eyes, cringing when a sharp crack pierced the air. And there goes the arm! Peeking through one eye I watched them start yanking the rest of the cold one’s limbs off. Soon enough the silver wolf bit into the neck, and twisted it off.

Oh God, I can’t believe I watched them pull apart a once human being. I reached down to pinch my arm, but winced as a sharp pain came. It was all real. I shuddered. Taking a few deep breaths, I looked away from my arm and the dark gray wolf was staring at me.

He whined, and let out a soft growl moving to me with caution in his steps. I couldn’t stop the sob bursting out of me, as my eyes blurred with tears. They saved me. He saved me. Staring into his dark brown eyes, I sensed something familiar in them… I knew this wolf. I don’t know how, but I did. I trusted him.

Lifting my arm hesitantly, I held it out, waiting for him to move towards me.

I stared in amazement as the wolf eased his way to me, as if to show that he didn’t want to scare me. His head bowed telling me that he wouldn’t hurt me.

“I trust you.”

As soon as I uttered those words he stopped and stared at me with a familiar glint in his eye. Next thing I know I’m pushed onto my back and a big rough tongue was licking all over my face.

I yelled out and laughed trying to cover my face, he stopped licking my face and stuffed his muzzle in the crook of my neck, snuggling into me. Blowing out air I paused and let him breathe in my scent. I concluded that he was making sure that I was OK, and was reveling in the fact.

“Don’t worry, I’m fine.” I reassured smiling and ran a hand through his—surprisingly soft—fur. He moved away with a final lick on my cheek and looked to his pack members. I almost forgot that he didn’t come alone. I sat up to see them communicate, I turned my attention to the other wolves, observing them. They both had brown fur, one darker than the other and were the same size as my wolf.

Wait what… My wolf?

He stepped away from me, causing me to snap out of my stupor and take this chance to stand up, dusting unwanted dirt off my clothes. I reached up and ran both hands through my hair and smoothed it down. I honestly should be freaking out right now. I almost died for God’s sake! But just by looking at the wolf, and being in his presence made everything ok. And I wasn’t sure why. Maybe it was a gift that legendary wolves had?

The wolf turned back to me and nodded his head, dropping low and moved his head to look at his back. I tilted my head in confusion, “What?” He yipped and whined gesturing to his back. Oh no, was he hurt? I put a hand on my hip, “Did that vampire hurt you?”

He moved his head back as if I slapped him, he grumbled and shook his head. Just then one of the wolves jumped onto his back and nodded to me. The silver wolf growled from the weight or annoyance and shook off his fellow pack mate, taking a swipe at the brown wolf. I giggled at this, they were like puppies.

I froze. I think this wolf wanted me to climb onto his back. I asked to make sure I got what he was trying to tell me. “…You want me to ride on your back?”

He nodded and turned to glance at the other wolves, who were now grabbing hold of the limbs of the vampire, which I tried to ignore. From the corner of my eye I saw the darker brown wolf lift his head and howled, and soon enough another wolf came to help. Oh my God, this is the worst, and the best day of my life! This one was a thinner gray wolf with white spots on his back.

They nodded to my wolf, and ran off. When they were out of sight he turned back to me and lowered himself once again. With little hesitation I climbed onto his back. He didn’t move to leave, even when I settled myself on his back, he was waiting for something. I reached out and grabbed hold of his fur, and that was when he took off.

So all in the last 30 minutes, I ran into a vampire, and had encountered the protectors of the tribe! I cringed at the thought of the vampire, how stiff and cold his hands were when they had grabbed onto me. His face was unnaturally pale… the only color had been his eyes. His red eyes flashed in my mind, causing me to flinch. And when I heard the howls, I haven’t been so relieved in my entire life. It was like I was born again.

I got so caught up with the legendary protectors, I forgot about Paul. Oh damn, I can't imagine what he was thinking when I didn't make it to Emily's!

“Oh my God, can you bring me to Emily Young’s place?” I called through the wind, not doubting that he would hear me either way. “Do you know who she is? I need to see my boyfriend! He’s probably so worried about me. Oh man.”

As soon as I said that I scrunched my face in confusion… you would think that I’d want to be inside my own home after all that excitement. But no, I wanted to see Paul… because the thought of him gave me comfort and safety. He was also expecting me, and I didn’t want him to worry about me. I guess I do love him, I thought with a smile.

Image


“Ouch!” I pulled my hand back when I jumped off of the wolf’s back, a shot of pain flowed through my arm just by twisting it. What the-? I breathed in readying myself, and I then flexed my forearm. I cursed and moved my sleeve, with a gasp I stared down at my freshly bruised arm. It didn’t hurt a few minutes ago!

The wolf growled as he stared down at my arm. I stared at him as he looked back at me, with a slight shake of his head he turned to run back into the trees. My jaw dropped as Paul walked out from where the wolf disappeared to, wearing a pair of cut-off jeans. He looked furious, but I ignored that, trying to put two and two together.

“You’re one of- one of the- what!?” I sputtered, shaking my head. Paul grabbed a hold of my arm, moving the sleeve of my jacket. “You’re a legendary wolf!?”

He didn’t answer my incredulous question, instead he growled in fury, “He hurt you! That damn leech fucking hurt you!”

I didn’t say anything I just continued to stare at him in awe. My boyfriend was a shape-shifter…A legendary wolf from the stories that I’ve heard since I was a child?

“I should have just picked you up, or went to see you instead of meeting at Emily’s! The fucks wrong with me?!” Paul growled at himself, his fists clenching. He walked back and forth in Sam and Emily’s backyard, his brows lowered in frustration.

Snapping out of my thoughts, I noticed that Paul was getting worked up, he was shaking uncontrollably. “Why were you walking? I thought you’d drive!”

“The truck was in the shop.” I muttered aloud, furrowing my brows. I’ve never seen Paul like this before. He glared over my shoulder at whoever, I’m guessing, was peeking through the door at us. I twisted around and stared at the backs of three people shuffling away from the door. Turning his attention back to me, he shook his head and took a deep breath.

“Hey…it’s alright…” I told him and reached for his arm, only for him to shove his arm out of my reach. I pulled back hurt at the abrupt action.

“Why didn’t you tell me that your dad’s truck was in the shop?” He snapped at me, causing me to jump back. His eyes flashed, his mouth dropping a little and looked down avoiding my gaze. He shook his head, breathing in deep before he looked up, his eyes hard. I just stared at him in shock, my mouth opening to speak, but no words formed.

It wasn't until I breathed out, giving my arms a little shake, that I force myself to speak. “I- I didn’t, I forgot… My dad told me when I asked for it.”

“What if I didn’t get to you on time?” He shouted, his previous embarrassment gone, throwing his hands in the air. “You could have been- you- he would have hurt you even more! Jared howled and we came to see what was up, then I caught your scent! Your scent was with that- that fucking bloodsucker!”

I didn't say anything; I stood there soothing my bruised arm instead. Just let him shout out all his anger, I told myself. I still couldn’t believe that my boyfriend of six months was able to shift into a wolf.

“How could you be- so-!” My head snapped up, my eyes widening. He yanked at his hair and narrowed his eyes at me, his brown eyes darker than ever. He growled, “You should have called me, dammit!”

Nice save. I thought, tongue in cheek. He didn't need to say it aloud, I heard it well enough. I breathed through my teeth, and turned away from him. Looking at a spruce tree, I blinked back tears and continued to stare at the tree and the ones around it. The need to look at something that wasn't Paul was strong. He has never gotten this mad at me before, he shouldn’t even be getting mad. He should be happy that I’m alive, that dumb wolf.

I almost get killed by a vampire… A vampire! And I literally just found out that Paul has been lying to me for six months. This is a huge part of him that I didn’t know… what else didn’t I know? I knew the simple things about him, like his favorite color, food, time of day…I’m starting to think that I don’t even know who he is. Maybe I didn’t know him long enough to know this side of him?

He’s my boyfriend! You would think that I had a right to know what I was getting myself into when I agreed to go out with him. I didn’t know this side of him! He can change into a wolf for crying out loud, a wolf! And he’s getting mad at me!

“Why are you getting mad at me?!” I shouted. “How is it my fault for not knowing that the ‘cold ones’ are real? You have no right to call me stupid and yell at me! Forgive me for not having the knowledge of real-life vampires and shapeshifters while walking!” My voice broke as I yelled back at him. “Forgive me, it's my fault that my boyfriend lied to me!”

His form was stiff as he took in breaths. Yeah, it was my turn to shout. “You’re getting mad at me, as if you expected me to know that vampires and werewolves or whatever the fuck you are—existed! If I had known, if you had told me about it, I wouldn’t have walked! I’m not stupid!” I mocked. “I almost died, Paul!”

He flinched like I reached up and slapped him. I breathed, my chest not only heaving, but aching. It hurt. It hurt to fight with him like this, we never fought. We rarely had disagreements. I didn’t know what to do. My whole world shifted within an hour. I brought a hand to my chest, maybe covering my heart would stop it from falling apart.

I let out a shaky breath. “You can turn into a wolf… You never told me.” Shifting my gaze up at him, tears clouded my vision as they fell down my frozen cheeks. “It’s like— I don’t even know you, Paul.”

My hand clutched my shirt over my heart as it broke when his face fell. He looked pained; he stared at my tears and squeezed his eyes shut. I swallowed when he opened them back up, and moved his arm up to wipe the tears away. But I pulled back. He took a sharp intake of air, his eyes blinking fast. We continued to stare at each other until three familiar guys came out from the trees, all dressed in similar cut-off jeans. I switched my attention to them… Jared, Embry, and Quil were the other three wolves.

They stopped walking, and looked at us taking in our tense stances. Tension thick in the air, Jared coughed, snapping Paul out of his trance. With a shake of my head I turned to leave, I am so out of here, my plans to tell Paul how I feel tossed out the window. I couldn’t tell him now, not after this. It was hard to turn him away, my head was telling me to get away from Paul, but my heart was begging, trying to pull me towards him.

Part of me didn’t want to, but the other wanted so badly to hold him—to have his arms around me, holding me close to him. I shook my head and wiped at my face, clearing the tears from my cheeks. I paused mid-step and turned back to face the guys, I cleared my throat and caught Quil’s gaze.

“Can you walk me back home?”

Quil nodded and walked in my direction, though he faltered as Paul growled to warn the other away. I lowered my gaze away from Paul and back on Quil, I gave a small smile, not seeing the hurt and angry expression from Paul.

“Ignore him. I just want to go home.”

I continued my leave, only this time with another being as Quil caught up with me, and nudged my shoulder. He sent me a gentle smile, everything will be ok... it said. Looking over my shoulder, I saw Paul still staring at me looking out of place, his eyes begging me to come back. My bottom lip quivered, and I turned away. I hope so.

When Emily's house was a comfortable distance away, a mourning howl rang through the evening air. I didn’t know much about wolf howls, but this one sounded heartbreaking. I knew that it was from Paul. I shifted my gaze from the ground and looked up at Quil to see him grimace.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hiii! OK, so... this is my first twilight story.
I made it for my lovely bff Samantha.

Subscribe, Recommend, & Comment?
edited: July 03, 2014