Status: 8/19/12- Hiatus

Bulletproof Heart

It All Started with an Idea

I looked down at my ringing phone cringing when I saw my boss’ extension. Now what did I do wrong? I picked it up smiling because it makes you sound happier. “Yes Mr. Yates?”

“I need to see you in my office.” His voice came across in its normal gruff irritated tone.

“Yes sir, I’ll be right in.” I said trying not to flinch as he slammed the phone down in my ear.
Again I doubted he was mad at me, it’s just how he was. I mean what could I do? I was just a fact check girl here at the magazine. Although I was dying to be a journalist, the person who got to interview all the stars that you read about.

Butterflies took flight in my stomach as I made my way to his office. I had proposed a new idea, well sort of new. I proposed that the magazine try a ‘road blog’. Fans are always dying to know what it’s like to be famous, live the rock star life. Well what if you didn’t do just that? Send someone on tour with one of the hottest acts in the music industry and blog about it, showing exclusive videos, photos, live interviews.

No way could you resist. I mean heck I’m a fan myself and I would be checking daily to see what craziness had happened. We all wanted to know what it was like to be our idols, and this was the way to find out. I took a deep breath before knocking on the door to Mr. Yates office.

“Enter” was his curt reply.

I took my seat quietly a nervous smile plastered onto my face. “You wanted to see me?”

He was sitting with his back to me so I couldn’t see his expression. “I’ve decided to use your idea.”

“Really?!” I asked excitedly sitting up in my chair my smile now real.

He spun around slowly. “Yes and I’ve talked to several recording labels to see who would be interested.”

I crossed my fingers and hoped for someone like Justin Timberlake. Oh to be alone with that man. I thought dreamily. I forced my head out of the clouds and back to the here and now. I waited patiently for him to continue because I knew he wasn’t looking for my input.

“I just heard back from one of my contacts. My Chemical Romance just released their latest album and they’re set to start touring in a week.”

“And I’m going?” My face fell. My Chemical Romance? I had heard of them but rock just wasn’t my thing. I was pretty much a pop adult contemporary fan. I think they did the song Black Parade or something.

“You don’t want the assignment? Fine I’ll give it to Walters.” He said turning his attention to his computer.

I jumped out of my seat putting my hands on his desk to get his attention. “Yes I want the assignment.”

His eyes flickered up to me for only a second as a small smirk graced his lips. “Good. Your flight to LA leaves tomorrow afternoon.”

“I…I…” This was going to suck. I was going to be on tour with a band I didn’t like cut off from everyone while I lived in a bus. Oh God I was going to be living in a bus with guys. I need another girl! It was then that a brilliant idea hit me.

“Yes Splendor?” He said sounding slightly annoyed, not a good sign.

“You know I’m not good with video equipment maybe I should bring someone along?”

His eyes narrowed on me. “I’m not going to spend a whole lot of money on a trial project.”

“I know someone who will do it for cheap and they’re really good. They work for a studio but do freelancing on the side and I happen to know they’re not currently working on a project.”

I felt the weight of his eyes on me and he thought over my proposal. “If I don’t like their work they’re canned, got it?”

I beamed at him. “Of course.”

“Good now get out of here.” He said turning his attention back to his computer.

I hurried out of his office before he could change his mind and send someone else. I didn’t even go back to my desk; my work was done for the day anyhow. I raced home praying that Vi was there and awake, she had a tendency to live like a rock star even if she wasn’t.
I all but burst into our apartment. “Vi?!” I called out kicking off my heels and putting my laptop down. “Vi are you here?!”

“Good Lord woman! What are you trying to do? Wake the dead? Shit.” She growled as she came out of her room holding her head.

I frowned at her appearance. She was in shorts, a large shirt and her blue and pink streaked blonde hair was a mess. Yep she had definitely partied like a rock star last night. Looking at the two of us you wouldn’t think that we’d be friends. She was a punk/rock girl with dyed hair, tattoos, and piercings galore. While I looked like your normal girl next door free of tattoos and piercings, well if you don’t count the two in each ear which is vanilla, as Vi puts it.

“Well I have some really great news which is going to make your hang over disappear!” I said trying to make her feel better.

“Doubtful.” She mumbled as she grabbed a cup of coffee and sat down at the kitchen table.

“Well Mr. Yates decided to use my idea!” I said trying not to squeal with excitement.

“That’s great!” She said hopping up and hugging me tight.

This is part of why I love her. She’s always got my back no matter what.

“It gets better.” I said still grinning.

“You’re doing it?!”

“Yep!” We both squealed a little, it had meant a lot to me and she knew that.

“So when do you leave?”

“Tomorrow afternoon.”

I watched her face fall a little. “I’m gonna miss you Pru.”

I smiled at her. “No you’re not cause you’re coming with!”

She cocked her head to the side. “Say what?”

“Well if you don’t mind working for like next to nothing.”

“I don’t know Pru…I don’t think I can.” She said honestly weighing her options, it’s not like either of us could afford to work for free. Lucky for me I knew what would tip the scales in my favor.

“Don’t you wanna know who we’d be living with?” I said taking a seat at the table now myself.

She frowned as she joined me. “I just assumed since it was you it would be some pop act.”

I shook my head no staring at my fingernails to keep from grinning. “Nope. It’s a rock band.”

“No fucking way! Who?” Vi asked her eyes lighting up as I got her full attention.

“My Chemical Romance.” I mumbled softly just to drive her crazy.

“Who? I couldn’t understand you!” She almost wailed as she got up pulling my hand away from my mouth.

I grinned up at her. “Oh sorry. I said…My Chemical Romance.”

I covered my ears at Vi broke out in fangirlitis. “OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS?! YOU’RE GOING TO BE LIVING ON A TOUR BUS WITH THE HOTTIES GEE, MIKEY, AND FRANK?!?!?!?!?!?!”

She was freaking out so loud I didn’t need to uncover my ears to hear her. “Yes I’m serious and if you’re okay with working for beans you can come too as my videographer.”

Vi threw her arms around me hugging me so tightly I thought she was going to break my ribs. Man for a little girl she sure was strong. “HELL YEAH I’M COMING!!!!! I’D WORK FOR FREE TO BE THAT CLOSE TO THOSE SEXY BEASTS!”

“My ears, my ears.” I whined at her.

“Oh sorry!” She said pulling back all but jumping up and down. “You are the best friend ever Pru.”

I smiled at her. “Funny, I think the same thing about you. Now let’s get packing. We have a plane to catch.”

I laughed as she practically ran to her room no doubt making it look as though a tornado had struck with her hurried packing. I myself was a calm, organized, neat person who had no idea how she was going to live with her messy best friend and five guys in one little bus.
Groaning I pulled out my suitcase and began packing.

If nothing else the next few months should be interesting.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter one of our very first MCR fanfic, hope you all enjoy!!!!