‹ Prequel: One Life To Live
Status: Going slow because I am busy with other works but will try to update ASAP!

Two Lives As One

Singin' The Blues

The drive didn’t take long – only 10 minutes or so. We passed landmarks I knew of; the Lexington plaza, and Beth Israel Medical Center – the place I’d like to be working at after I get my degree. But when the sign said Delancey Street, my mental radar got mixed up. I peered over at Lance and raised my eyebrows. He grinned and tapped his steering wheel before explaining.

“We’re goin’ to a place my Pops used to go to with my Ma. It’s kind of an old joint, but there are pretty good bands that play there.” He offered. He snuck a glance over at me and laughed at my reaction. I bit my lip and couldn’t help but laughed with him. “What?!”

“You look like I’m goin’ to drag you off into the boonies. We get off 2nd street and it’s like we fell off the map, huh?” He smiled.

“I’m still learning my way around this place.” I said, crossing my arms, embarrassed.

With one hand on the wheel, he reached across the console and grasped my arm, pulling me toward him. It was within two inches of his face did he steal a kiss from me. Feeling sentimental, I hung on to the kiss for a heartbeat longer, relinquishing the feel of his lips against mine. He broke away, and gave me a cunning smile.

“Damn,” was all he said.

I blushed fiercely, and smiled. He didn’t need to say much – or do much – to get my blood boiling.

He pulled into the parking lot, and I gazed up at the flashing lights: the Bowery Ballroom. I gasped and grinned. “I’ve heard of this place!”

He chuckled. “It was in a lot of movies. What da ya think? Should we try it out?”

“Of course!” I propelled myself out of the car, grabbing my purse. His laughter echoed as I got out of the car. He leaned against his door, just pausing to look at me with his dark chocolate eyes. A wiry smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. If I were a lesser woman, I’d never be able to move my knees.

Right now, I was anxious. “C’mon! Let’s go.” I gestured toward the entrance with my thumb, a big smile on my face.

He laughed again, and obediently followed in suit behind me. I was walking fast, but his long stride caught up to mine in no time. He rested his hand on the small of my back, and even sunk lower and lower still when I didn’t say anything. I was in a good mood. He yanked my hip against his, and held me snug under his arm. I settled in nicely there.

He opened the door for me and I travelled through the entryway with the neon lights shining down on me. Lance went up to a guy with a scruffy beard behind the glass window and gave him what looked to be forty dollars. Before I could get my wallet out of my purse to buy my entry, he had already turned his attention to me, escorting me into the club.

I pouted. “I hate it when you do that.”

“Do what?”

“Pay for everything. You know, I may not have much money, but I can pay for things.” I said petulantly.

He kissed my forehead. “Babe, the way I was raised, a man pays for dates.”

I crossed my arms. “Well keep it up and you won’t have any money left.” There was a false threat in my voice.

He grinned, not concerned at all. “I don’t think that’ll be a problem.”

I sighed, defeated.

We finally came through to the performing room, and wow, was it amazing. It was small, but an intimate, secluded, and nice space. There was a good amount of people in there, mostly individuals in their twenties and thirties. Most were having date nights like us. Lance led me to a table off to the side, perfect if you were looking for privacy. He drew out a chair for me to sit in, and I was so moved at his gallant gesture, I kissed him on the cheek. He proceeded then to give me a real kiss, which I didn’t hesitate in returning.

I took my seat, and Lance did the same. A cute, energetic girl with streaks of pink in her hair high tailed it over to our table, and asked, “Could I get you guys some drinks?”

Lance nodded, “Yeah, how about a scotch on the rocks, doll?”

I sat in silence with a smile at his use of an endearment and the blush that blossomed on the girl’s pale cheeks.

“Perfect!” She grinned. “And you, miss?”

“Ah,” I thought for a moment. It was a special night, so why not splurge? “How about a martini?” It was more of a question than a statement.

Lance leaned back gracefully – well, as graceful as his big frame let him be – and raised his eyebrows curiously in surprise. He has never seen me drink before. Not that I did. Maybe a margarita or mojito when I was out with Bethany Lynn and Freddie, but I wasn’t crazy about drinking.

“Got it. I’ll be back with your drinks, then.” She all but bounced away, her hand swishing back and forth.

I smiled. “Nice girl.”

He slid his finger along his lower lip, processing. “Gearing up for the rest of the night, darling?”

I laughed making an airy, tinkling noise. “I just feel,” I shrugged, “relieved, I guess. Maybe because I spilled my guts at dinner.”

“I wouldn’t call that spilling your guts,” his eyes refocused, smoldering, edging on serious, “I’m glad you told me. I feel like I’m learning new things about you every week, Mel. You know you can tell me anything.”

“I know,” I said, trying not to ruin the mood. “It’s just hard…talking about family.” I sighed, knowing I was purposefully being vague.

He understood. He placed his hand over mine, caressing it absentmindedly. I watched quietly as the first band came up to the stage and introduced themselves. The group included four guys with tuxedos on, one carrying a saxophone. I was pleased. I loved bands with charisma, and jazz always got my feet going.

The black man behind the microphone introduced himself as J Carlton, then he counted to three with his finger, and the band started up. The mood of the night was set with a romantic, electric, and infectious feel with this first band. I smiled wide, tapping my heels to the beat, and swaying my waist with the sax. Lance’s hand squeezed mine, and he whispered in my ear, “Let’s dance, babe.”

I rotated my head and smiled, bumping noses with him, not realizing he was that close. I nodded, and took his hand. We were the first couple to go up and dance. Usually, I would take more note of that – be flushed and unsure with so many eyes on me – but I felt comfortable and confident in Lance’s arms. He didn’t extend me far from him at all, perhaps an inch at most. One of his large hands was at my waist, and one was in my left hand. I shimmied, and spun at his beck and call, and he would tug me back as quickly as he spun me out. I had to fight a smile. It felt good when he was possessive of me.

He was an excellent dancer. Someone taught him well. I stepped on his toe once, and grimaced, but he kept on as if it didn’t happen. At one point, he spun me around, and instead of taking his hand, I placed it on his defined chest, and pushed him back, strutting around in my heels. He bent his head back, laughing exuberantly. I winked at him, and slid the hand back onto his shoulder. Nearing the end of the song, he got me back for it. He tipped me back so far, I was abruptly alert, but before I could catch my wits, he whipped me back up and kissed me passionately. I sank into his arms, and the kiss, while the audience applauded. J Carlton’s booming baritone voice came on the mic, “Ladies and gentlemen, the couple of the evening!”

I pulled back from Lance, and laughed while the crowd roared. No other dancers joined us throughout the song, but I hadn’t noticed until now. Lance squeezed me into him, and kissed me on the cheek. He waved to everyone, led me back to the table, and we sat down. My eyes were bright, and I was smiling so big my face was beginning to hurt. My martini had now arrived, and I took a lengthy sip, relieved.

“They were good,” I commented when I had calmed down.

Lance nodded. “Haven’t seen them around, they must be new.”

I nodded back, “I hope they sign with someone.”

Just then, Lance’s phone rang. Just by the look on his face, I could tell it was Mafia business. He went from smiling and carefree, to solemn and gloomy. I felt bad for him. He took it out, and got up from his seat. He kissed my forehead. “I’ll be back.”

I nodded, keeping a smile on my face so as not to worry him. J Carlton continued with another song – a slower, meaningful tune. You could tell it was inspired by his girlfriend, or wife. I pondered if there was a way you could talk to the artists at the end of the night. If so, I would tell him to keep making hits like these, and he could consider me a fan.

I ran my fingertip around the edge of my martini glass, and listening to the rest of the song. The table felt small and empty without Lance’s presence beside me, and I tried to keep my thoughts from getting concerned as the minutes ticked by. Another band stepped onto the stage, a more Indie, rock band that were called, The Rights. I fiddled with the silver bracelet on my wrist - a gift from Lance – and I had to fight the urge to go find him. Ten to fifteen minutes had passed by.

Just as I resolved myself to look for him, he came back. He was trying to mask a surly scowl that was evident on his face, and he took his seat. He hadn’t said anything yet, so I thought I should. “Who was it?” I asked tentatively.

His frame was tight and constricted. He looked upset now that I had read more into it. “It was Paul.” He sighed, letting his pent up emotions out. “Something happened. Apparently,” his tone had gone softer, “there’d been a break-in to one of our warehouses, and they’re scouting the place, looking for traces.”

I was picking up on the bits of information I knew he wasn’t willing to give. “And they want you there?”

He didn’t look at me, and that told me all I needed to know. They did need him; now. “Well then we’ll go.”

“Hell no.” He frowned, crossing his arms indignantly. “We just got here, and this is my night with you. It’s not like we get every night to be together.”

Now that he said that, I realized how true it was. I would spend most of my time at school, while he was free, and when he wasn’t free – when I got home from school – I’d spend my time shopping or hanging with Bethany Lynn and Freddie. Now that it was Christmas break, Lance and I had just started seeing each other more often. But, if his family needed him now, I wasn’t going to come between that.

I shook my head, having none of it. “No. If they need you, we’ll go.”

He was just about to rebuttal, but I cut him off, “I’m serious, Lance. We can do something tomorrow, or the day after. I’m off all week.” I smiled.

He sighed, defeated, but didn’t look happy about it. “I hate not spending time with you because of The Business.”

I ran a hand through his wavy hair, giving him a light smile. “Absence makes the heart grow fonder.”

In spite of his angry mood, he smiled. “Hopefully. Hopefully that’s how it goes, and not that you get tired of me disappearing.”

“Not likely, babe.”

----------------------

I watched them leave, feeling disgust in the pit of my stomach when they kissed for the millionth time since they got here. They loved parading around like they were the hottest thing since Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Melanie in her sexy skirt and heels trying to show off to her boyfriend. What did Lance have that was so special? Was it ‘cause he had a pretty face, and told her anything she wanted to hear? Or was it because he could buy her all the diamond rings she wanted? I bet it was the latter. No girl comes to New York City and lives on tuition money.

But it didn’t matter to me. Not anymore. They’re gonna get what’s coming to them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Scary last part. Do you know who it is, yet? :)
This is just a preview of what the future is going to be between them...
On that note, feedback is loved!
Goodnight!
Lauren (: