‹ Prequel: One Life To Live
Status: Going slow because I am busy with other works but will try to update ASAP!

Two Lives As One

Commitments and Commotions

Freddie was coming back today.

Now that sounds weird, considering he went back to California for Christmas and is coming back today, but he explained it all before he left.

‘My Uncle Jack and Aunt Kimmie are not going to be staying around ‘til Christmas Eve ‘cause she’s got to work,’ he’d rolled his eyes then, ‘she’s always working lately ‘cause her boss is an asshole, so Grams and Gramps had it early this year and I was all for it.’

Of course Bethany Lynn and I were, too. Bethany Lynn and Freddie had told me already they planned on having Christmas with me, and so did I. I’ve just haven’t had the conversation with Lance yet. I reminded myself to at least meet up with him about it today. It’d be perfect if I could spend Christmas Eve with my friends and Christmas Day with my boyfriend.

So, since Freddie was coming back, Bethany Lynn and I were in her Porsche heading to La Guardia airport. She held her nose up as she saw snowflakes in the air. “I really hate all this darn snow. Y’know, if New York City didn’t have the best fashion, or the best people,” she nudged me, winking, “I’d’ve went to LA for school. Where it’s always nice.”

Bethany Lynn grew up in the South – in Alabama. You could say she was used to the heat. I smiled. Being a girl born and bred in Minnesota, this wasn’t new territory. “I’m just glad it’s above zero still.”

Bethany shuddered delicately. “Well knock on wood, then I ‘spose.” She searched around her car, and went pale realizing the fact that her whole interior was nothing but black leather. “Oh, Lord Almighty, this ain’t—ooh!” She brightened, and ransacked her bottomless purse until she found her favorite wooden hairbrush. She knocked her knuckles against it, and smirked, “All good.”

I grinned, and suddenly a thought popped into my head. “Beth?”

She poked her head to the side, one hand on the wheel. “Yup, Melly?”

“Are you not going home for Christmas this year?”

“Eventually, yes, but not now.” She sighed. “Already talked to Mama and Daddy ‘bout it and they says its fine I stay up here and spend it with you guys this year.”

This surprised me because her grandma had been in the hospital over the Christmas holidays having troubles with her emphysema. Bethany had to leave three weeks before Christmas Eve. I wonder how her grandma was doing this year.

Seeing the intrigued look, she went more in depth. “Well, as ya know, my Grammy Myrna on Mama’s side done up and keeled over with her ‘zema, and I asked Daddy ‘bout it and they says she’s doing much better. So we are gonna have two separate Christmases this year – one at my Grammy’s ‘cause she’s real conservative ‘bout having it on time.” She sighed, running a hand through her shiny brown hair. “And one for me coming back on New Year’s.”

I nodded, and smiled. “So no New Year’s kiss in Times Square this year?”

She gave me a look. “That’s the thing that sucks! But I thought Christmas with y’all is more important.”

I was moved. “Aw, Beth. That’s so nice.”

She smiled. “Plus, I’m gettin’ tired of hearin’ Christmas stories and not bein’ there to see ‘em!”

“I agree!”

On that note, we pulled into Terminal B, and Bethany Lynn paid a young valet man to get her car ready for pick-up as we hunted down Freddie. He was maybe eighteen and only a little taller than me, but she grinned and doffed her hair up. She plucked a five out of her purse and stuck it in his suit pocket. “Now take care of it for me, ‘kay?”

He nodded, a little stunned. I gave him a parting smile, thinking that he was kind of cute with his slicked back hair and shiny black shoes. We headed off to find Fred’s bagging claim and I had to say something. “You’re shameless.” I laughed.

“And proud of it, girl!” She grinned, and gave me a loud high-five.

We finally found the flight coming back from Napa Valley and Bethany Lynn and I stood there, holding up a sign that said: Sir Fredward Steven Allen. Beth had a big, goofy smile – it was an inside joke between the three of us for what seemed like the longest time, even if it may seem childish. His flight came fifteen minutes late – most likely due to the turbulence in the winter weather – but when we saw him, we couldn’t help but run to him.

Not seeing him for a week and a half seemed like forever. He had stubble growing on his chin and upper lip, and he smelled differently – not his usual cologne he liked from Tommy Hilfiger.

When he saw us running, and what the sign said, he grinned, giving us hugs. “Ladies, ladies. No need to fight. There’s plenty of Fredward to go around.”

We giggled and helped him find his suitcases. While I took his single carry-on, Bethany Lynn rubbed her fingers on his chin, and shook her head in disdain. “No, no, no. You look much better clean shaved, Freddie.”

He sighed, nuzzling his face against her hand. “Great to see you, too Beth.”

She shrugged. “Just lookin’ out for ya.”

Our valet, who Bethany entrusted to look out for her, sidled up to the curve and helped put the luggage in the trunk. Bethany Lynn watched, pleased by her five dollar expense, and when he was done, she put her hand on his shoulder. “Why thank ya. What’s your name, again?”

“Jared, miss.”

“Jared,” she smiled. “You were such a big help.”

Every action Bethany Lynn made, she made on purpose.

Freddie slanted me a look, and I grinned. He’d known her long enough to know her tricks. It was just eye-opening for me to see her use her wiles on him now that they were discreetly dating. Or ‘just having fun’, like Bethany would say.

“Glad I could help.” Jared replied.

“Mmm, hmm.”

Jared, feeling awkward, finally left and we hopped in her car.

“So, you guys made friends these past weeks?” Freddie asked us, but the question was really directed toward Bethany Lynn.

“What can I say?” Beth shrugged, checking her freshly polished pink nails. “They just come up to me and Melly.”

----------------------

We were sitting at Hard Rock Café catching up. It may have been just a week, but to us, it felt like a month. Freddie was slung back, his arm resting on Bethany Lynn’s chair. She didn’t seem to think anything of it, and I tried to keep my smile in. It was nice seeing them this way – they’ve been lusting and flirting after each other for such a long time. I was running through the menu when I heard an eerily familiar voice.

“Hey man, how’s it goin’?”said the voice, clapping another’s hand in greeting.

I didn’t want to seem obvious, so I used the menu as a decoy. I skimmed it, and craned my head to the left in order to see who the voice belonged to.

A certain brown-eyed man with a face that I would never forget had my eyes widening. I turned my head back, giving Bethany Lynn a look. Immediately, she silently asked me what was up. I gestured subtly to the man behind me, and she bit her lip, nodding. “So, when are we gettin’ our drinks? Waiter?” She peered around, curling her finger for attendance.

I had a churning feeling in my stomach, and a bitter copper taste in my mouth. I had to be honest with myself: I didn’t like this kind of conflict. I didn’t want to remember it because I felt guilty that I didn’t treat him like I would if I wasn’t hooked on Lance at the time, which I was – a lot. I sighed to myself and prayed to God that my friends and I could have a good time with them without a scene.

We ordered our food – mostly just appetizers because we weren’t starving and it was still early on in the day. I picked at my chicken wings, gulping down water since the waiter thought I ordered hot wings and not mild. If I had any beginnings of a cold, they were gone by now. Bethany Lynn ultimately finished the last two for me, not even using the bleu cheese – she even licked her fingers.

We pooled our money, paying for the check. Freddie wanted to pay it all, since he was back and he wanted to treat us, but Bethany Lynn and I shot him down. We got up from our seats, and I paused to see if he was still there.

He was.

With two other men whom I’ve never saw before.

I took a breath and leaned into Freddie, who put his arm on my shoulder. Perhaps my mind was instinctually forcing me to use Freddie as a protective shield, but it occurred to me that rubbing my guy friend into the face of my ex is most likely not a smart move. So, I gave him a hug and released him so Bethany Lynn could snuggle up with him.

I was just about to get to my destination – the exit door – until he looked my way just as I was passing by. Be calm, I thought. I gave him a closed mouth smile, and tried to act as if we were distinct acquaintances. He stared at me, and didn’t give way to any emotion – just proceeded to re-enter the conversation he was having with his large, beefy friends.

Once we were out the door, Bethany Lynn sidled up to my side, and nudged me, “Forget about it, girl.”

----------------------

I knew it was irrational, but I let the interaction with him get to me. I was cleaning out our refrigerator, and countertops – exactly what I do when I am thinking too much. I ran a hand through my hair, reminding myself that I should get it cut soon as it is getting past my mid back. I drummed my fingers listlessly on the kitchen table until I heard a knock on our door.

Bethany Lynn had crashed at Freddie’s so I was the only one at home. I was relieved by the distraction – even if it was Bethany coming back for her jacket or dare I say it, condoms. I sighed to myself and opened the door, hopeful.

I was more than relieved when I saw the handsome sight grinning back at me, cradling a bouquet of red roses in his grasp. Overwhelmed with happiness, I crashed into his arms, resting my head against his chest. Because he does things in superlatives, one of the reasons why I love him, he swooped me up in his arms and carried me into our tiny living room without a word, seeming to know I was exhausted.
I sat in his lap, cuddling into his arms. He set the bouquet of roses on the couch next to us, and I felt bad for not acknowledging them. I lifted my head and spoke softly, “I love the flowers,” I smiled.

He winked, and rubbed his hand up and down my back. “I love you.”

I sighed, sinking further into him. “You have a way of showing up at just the right time, you know?”

He grinned. “Glad I could be of assistance, babe.”

We didn’t talk for a while – just rested against each other. His head on my shoulder, my own on his chest. I didn’t want to ruin the moment, but my conscience wanted me to tell him, so I did. “I saw Greg today.”

He stiffened, and I wished I hadn’t said anything. Too late for that. “Yeah?”

“Yeah. He was with some other guys I didn’t know.” I sighed. “I don’t feel good about what happened between him and me. I was wrong for leading him on.”

Lance softened, ever infinitesimally. “Nobody’s perfect, Mel. He knew what he was getting into with us. He knew you were my girl.”

I didn’t say anything, just nodded my head against his chest. I hadn’t thought of it that way. Greg was Jimmy’s cousin who was Lance’s friend. Plus, with all this conflict with the Mafia going on at the same time, it was awful timing. I needed to change the subject.

“So, Christmas eve tomorrow, mmm?” I prompted.

He lightened up at that. “Yeah, I was meaning to talk to you about that.”

I straightened up, and smiled. He continued, his chocolate eyes beseeching me. “My mother wants you around as much as possible,” he grinned. I smiled wide in response – it was always good to hear you’re wanted around the family. “She loves you and even wants you to go to mass with us.” He rolled his eyes, but I could see the hope behind them.

“I’d be fine with that. I’m Catholic.” I winked.

He seemed surprised, but pleased. “But I know you prob’ly want to hang with Fred and Bethany too.”

I nodded, bumping against his nose clumsily. “Yeah. I was thinking I could spend Christmas Eve with them and maybe Christmas day with you guys? It doesn’t really matter to me.” I shrugged.

He nodded, a piece of dark hair falling into his eye, I brushed it back. He kissed my lips briefly in response. “Fine with me. S’long as I get to see you.” He gave me a lopsided smile.

I bit my lip, wondering about his presents I was still deciding on. He tilted his head, trying to figure out what I was thinking. Finally, I admitted, “So…about your presents…”

He grinned outright, obviously pleased with this change in direction. “Mmm yes. Presents.”

“I’m having a little trouble finding you a good gift.” I admitted, frowning.

He wasn’t at all disappointed. “I figured you prob’ly would.” His grin tipped higher. “I haven’t given you much to go on.”

I eyed him. “But you know what to get me, hmm?”

He laughed. “I got you down pretty well, darling.”

“Great,” I pouted, “I’m the boring, predictable one.”

He chuckled, nipping my bottom lip with his teeth. “I’ve just made a habit on tracking down what you like, let’s just say that.”

I sighed. “I feel like the bad girlfriend now.”

He kissed me once more. “I don’t need presents. Just you.” A thought passed through his eyes and he grinned mischievously, waggling his eyebrows. “Maybe my present could be—”

I raised my eyebrows, daring him to continue.

“I mean…it’s been a while, baby,” he said in a dangerously husky voice. He hitched me higher so I was straddling his waist, my eyes at the same level with his.

I laced my hands around his neck, “Isn’t that what makes it more special? Waiting?”

He gave me a long suffering sigh. “Waiting when you finally know what you’ve been missing? It’s torture.”

I smiled, and leaned forward, kissing him. He groaned under my lips, “You’re a tease.”

I grinned. “I remember you telling me that our first date.”

He chuckled. “I’m never wrong. And look at me – still letting you get away with it.” He shook his head.
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback is loved.
Will be updating,
Lauren :)