I Can't Forget What You've Forgotten

Fourteen

[[ Two Days Later ]]

I raised my hand, bringing it down upon the wooden door in front of me. I knocked several times before placing my arm down, having my hand grip onto the shoulder strap of the purse that hung on the same shoulder. I stood back and waited; I could hear footsteps moving around inside, their shoes hitting against the wooden floor.

The door knob visibly turned and the door was pulled back slowly a few seconds later. A head peered out of the doorway, before disappearing and reappearing in the door frame once the door, itself, was pulled back. "Hey!" Matt greeted me, stepping aside to allow me some space to come in.

"Hey!" I stepped inside, lifting up my black shade sunglasses and placing it on the top of my head. I looked around the room at all the picture frames Val had placed around the house. "Is Zack in?"

He nodded. "He's out in the backyard."

I shot him a quizzical look. "What's he doing out there?"

"We were previously hanging out back there. Then Val decided to come in for a shower and then you came and yeah." I nodded, understanding.

"I see. Did I interrupt something between you guys?" I wondered if I had bad timing, coming over at this moment. I didn't want to ruin their usually upbeat atmosphere. He shook his head and I nodded, heading towards the back door that led to the yard with a pool and Jacuzzi.

I stepped out the back door, pulling my sunglasses back down to my eyes; the sun was shining brightly, glistening off the chlorine-filled pool water. There he was, sitting on a lounge chair facing the pool and staring out into the water. I looked back and saw Matt shut the door closed after me.

I hesitantly squeezed into the space between him and the extra lounge chair that sat beside him. I sat down, laughing in content to myself as I felt the warmth hit my bare legs and took off my sandals, lifting my feet onto the chair. I pulled off my glasses and placed them back into my bag.

"Hey Zack." I smiled warmly at him, fidgeting with my fingers as he glanced over, startled. He lifted his own sunglasses to the top of his head.

"Hey." He still has yet to smile as he slowly got out of whatever trance he was in. "What, so you're finally speaking to me now?" he questioned jokingly, cracking a small smile. It was a sarcastic smile- I knew he didn't really want to with me, but it was the same way I felt about him. I can't bring myself to display a full smile when sadness takes over me whenever I lay my eyes on him.

"Yeah..." I replied slowly, looking anywhere by him. "Look, I need a favour from you..."

I could see the slight movement of his left eyebrow shifting upwards. He was still looking directly at me while I glanced around at the trees. "A favour? Like what?"

"Uh..." My head finally turned to face him. "I need you to come with me tomorrow," I said lowly, stealing a glance back at the house. I could hear the television, signaling that either Matt, Val, or both were in the living room, engaged in whatever was on.

"Come where?" he asked slowly; I bet he could already guess which direction this was going to go in.

"To my boss' house," I muttered, looking down at my entwined fingers.

"What for?" he asked yet again, another question. I could see him shift positions into a straighter sitting pose; I knew I had his full attention now.

I looked up straight ahead at him. "He wants to discuss my job position, since I've been doing 'such a great job lately'." I used my index fingers to quote him. "He said I could bring a friend along - which I'll do anyways because there's no way I'm going there by myself - but for some reason, he suggested that I bring you." I stared at him; his face has puzzlement and concern written all over it.

"Why me?" he whispered; neither of us wanted the couple inside the house to hear us, even though we were outside. Sometimes, it's best not to risk some things- in example, my 'secret' double life.

I shrugged, both of us leaning in closer to talk. "But do you think he knows that you know?" I whispered back and he made a face.

"Why else would he suggest me?"

I sighed. "This is going to be bad; ever since after you knew, I've been getting this feeling like someone's stalking me - like, just magically, out of no where, everywhere I turn, I feel eyes on me."

He shook his head, exhaling out in frustration. "I don't know if I can do this."

I gaped up at him as he stood up. "What? You have to!' I said in a normal tone, but surprisingly, not loud enough to where anyone else could hear.

"No, I don't." He moved so that now, he was standing in the open space and not in between the two closely spaced lounge chairs. I stood up with him. "He only suggested me; why don't you take Cassie or someone else?"

"Zack!" I exclaimed, "She's mad at me - she doesn't understand what's going on. If I bring her, more trouble will come, and besides, you don't expect me to go alone, do you?" I questioned him in an outrage. "You're my only choice."

He stared at me disbelievingly. "Why did you agree to go in the first place if you knew this was gonna happen?" His voice was raised a volume level too high; I could already see the two faces peering out from behind the curtains.

"I didn't have a choice," I said through firmly gritted teeth. "I know there's a double meaning to his words; I can't go alone Zack," I whispered to him, almost pleadingly. I could feel the tears gathering behind my eyes; I was terrified. I was terrified for me and for him, but it was something that we have to face. He brought this upon himself anyways; if only he had let it go.

"If there's anything that I know for sure, is that I still have feelings for you," I told him softly. "And I'm still depending on you to be there when I really need you."

"But..." was the only thing he said, his incomplete sentence hanging on in the air. He couldn't come up with anything else to say; his face seemed pained yet happy and hopeful at the same time. He sighed, still contemplating. "Fine."

I smiled gratefully at him and advanced on for a hug. My arms embraced around his middle section softly as his arms wrapped around my shoulders, pulling me in close. I rested my head on his shoulder as he laid his cheek on my head; I smiled inwardly to myself. It was nice to feel his body warmth again, to have him hold me. But there were other, more important manners to attend to than this.

"I'm scared terrified Zack," I whispered to him and he stayed silent. "I'm scared for the both of us; I don't know what's going to happen, but thank you so much for doing this," I told him and he nodded, before pulling back to look at me, but his arms still barely held me not even at an arm's length away.

"But I'll only come on one condition," he stated and I nodded. "I get to call the cops if this visit leads to anywhere bad, okay?" I nodded. Anything, just as long as he came with me. He pulled me back into him. "Everything will be okay," he whispered, but he sounded uncertain. I was unconvinced. "It'll be okay."
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope this makes up for it?<3