I Can't Forget What You've Forgotten

Twenty Five

Too good to be true, Kristy repeatedly told herself. Perfection doesn’t exist.

The elevator shifted downward slowly, stopping at various levels for other guests to board. She kept her eyes to herself and her thoughts within her own mind. It was a struggle to keep a plain façade for so long, while people came and went until she finally reached the lobby. With one last sniffle, she quickly wiped a finger under each eye to prevent any possible tears from falling.

It was still late morning, barely anyone was up and moving around the main entrance. Only some of the workers look wide awake, while other guests like Kristy moved about in a zombie-like manner. A few workers offered her a smile but she ignored them, keeping her sole focus on the large automatic doors just ahead of her.

Stepping outside, she was able to take in a deep breath of fresh air. It helped to minimize the potential headache that she felt in the back of her head and slightly clear her mind. It was calming and soothing – the cold wind, the sound of cars zooming by, and all the morning individuals happily meeting up with others for breakfast or coffee. She was thankful that she was alone.

She began to walk down the street – where to, she wasn’t sure, nor did she even know where anything is. But she kept in mind a mental map of all the turns she took to find her way back.

Zack lied to her, and no one knew about it until know – unless… they were lying to her as well. She didn’t know what to believe. She didn’t really know them all that well; she wouldn’t know whether they were lying or telling her the truth all along.

Why would they lie?

She had just as much rights to know about all that has happened in her life as much as they do, doesn’t she - especially about her own parents? Zack couldn’t step down that low. But what Cassie had told her all sounded so realistic.

It actually made sense in the whole situation.

All of a sudden, she heard a scream from a little ways down the street not entirely far from her. It was blood curdling, distressed, and unusual. It wasn’t something that anyone would hear on the streets on a normal day. It wasn’t anything that a person can emit on cue with such emotions.

Nearly everyone on the streets froze and turned in the direction where the scream was heard. No one thought of doing anything about it – nothing but stare and wonder what was happening down the street. No one rushed to the scene but yet, no one turned away and resumed to their previous engagements either.

In a second, an old car sped down the street at an unusual speed. Kristy’s heart rate sped up as everyone else held a look of panic upon their faces. The events all connected to one another – that much was obvious, but the damages were unclear. No one could move.

Another blood curdling scream was heard – this time, a little closer. A crack exploded in the air, splitting through to everyone’s ears – a shot that furthermore startled the city’s citizens into a panic frenzy. Their motor senses weren’t quick enough to process what they should do.

She saw another car heading quickly in their direction. Something wasn’t quite right about it. Before she could fully react and even take her second step in running away, another crackle was heard along with more screams. A shooting pain erupted through her whole body, starting at the bottom of her neck. Her legs instantly gave out from underneath her, feeling her ankle twist in weird position as her body fell towards the pavement. She could barely comprehend what had happened; it all happened too quickly.
Unconsciously, both of her arms shot out in front of her in attempts to break the fall. The palm of her hands scraped against the concrete before the rest of her body followed in suite, the side of her head colliding against the hard ground. Her vision blackened but she could still hear all the commotion around her. Her head felt light and she could hardly feel the sidewalk beneath her. The tips of her fingers were numb and she couldn’t tell whether she was breathing or not.

Soon enough, the silence came. She could no longer hear nor see, and the feeling of her flesh and bone slowly disappeared from her.

They could hear the screams outside their window, the sound waves sneaking in through the air vent seals. They somehow thought it was normal. Maybe some fans were outside; maybe some kids were just playing tag along the street.

Jimmy sighed in annoyance, rolling over on the bed. “Would they shut up already?” he groaned, burying his face into the pillows. Cassie, who sat beside him, shrugged indifferently. She had returned back to their room not too long ago, quiet and awkward. She hadn’t spoken much since then.

Brian lazily got up and went over to the window, peering out at the street below. Something has happened, but he couldn’t really see exactly what. There was just a crowd of people, rushing around – some panicked, some in hysterics, and others hovered in corners. The scene was disorganized and a sight to see. In the distance, he could see and hear sirens.

“Looks like something happened out there,” he muttered. “There’s an ambulance and all.”

Cassie was alarmed; she quickly got up and took a place next to him. He was right – something serious had definitely happened.

And her best friend was out there somewhere.

“Fuck, you guys…” she said breathlessly, not thinking about her choice of words before she said them.

“What, Cassie?” Matt questioned, his voice filled with concern.

“Kristy’s down there somewhere…”

Zacky immediately got up, his face panicked and pale. He rushed over to view the scene for himself, hoping and praying that he’d see her face somewhere down there.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if it's not that great =/
Technically, this is the end, but expect an epilogue.