Photographs of Graves

Graves' Proposal.

Ana was a very affectionate spirit. She seized my hand and pulled me up, all smiles.

“We are going to live together, Murphy!” she yelled. She said my name like “Merph-ee”, with heavy emphasis on the “ee” part. I couldn't help smiling a little. She looked so intimidating at first, but in truth she was hugely warm-hearted. I followed her out of the room and back to the lobby, which had been laden with more sweets and finger sandwiches. And, more importantly than that, they had coffee. I bee-lined to the coffee maker and poured myself a cup, adding in two packets of creamers and three packets of sugar. In the midst of my discomfort I had found heaven.

“You should not look so happy to drink that,” Ana frowned at me, nibbling a finger sandwich.

“We all have our little addictions,” I sighed happily. She laughed, as did Mikael and Cosette who had found their way to us. So had Bastion, but I was beginning to believe he didn't have any other expression besides apathetic. I began to realize that this would probably be my permanent group of friends, as the other interns had also broken off into groups that seemed rather solid. We were all little island units of about five or so, banded together in an unfamiliar world. It was rather poetic.

I nearly spilled my coffee as a hand clamped down on my shoulder, and nearly did again as I turned around.

Blue eyes.

“Hello, Murphy,” Graves said smoothly. He looked up at the others around me. “And hello. I don't think I recruited you lot, so we haven't met yet. Well, except for you, Mikael. I hope you're okay that you're living with me for the next semester.”

“Of course, Mr. Graves,” Mikael nodded. Graves sighed.

“We're going to live together, so the whole 'Mr.' thing is going to get old. Theo or Graves is fine.”

Mikael nodded awkwardly before saying, “Well... Of course, then.”

Graves gave him an amiable slug in the arm before turning back to me. He kept his face blankly happy, but his eyes pierced into me in a way that made me feel as if I was pinned against a wall with spikes. He squeezed my shoulder.

“Oh, Murph, can I talk to you for a moment? I wanted to get a word in before you're dragged off to get acquainted with Ms. Holmes.”

No was not an option. I nodded, said “sure” quickly and excused myself from the group without looking back. Something gave me the impression that Ana was watching me as I turned into a side hallway with Graves. We turned again at the end of the hall and the din of the lobby faded into a dissonant hum.

Graves leaned against a large wooden desk in the cozy, sparsely furnished office which I assumed was his. He left the door open, which made me feel more comfortable. I leaned against the inside of the doorframe, hands in my pockets.

“What happened when you ran out of my room?” Graves asked. He was incredibly direct.

“I was insecure and a realist. I took our situation as one that couldn't be considered rational or real so fled,” I replied quickly. “I felt I had gotten in too deep too quickly in something I didn't understand.”

Those were probably the truest words I had said about our... thing since it happened. Graves nodded.

“That makes sense. And I'll take it you were so hostile because you were trying to cut ties as thoroughly and quickly as possible.”

“Something like that.”

We lapsed into silence.

“Did you get my letter?”

“Yes.”

“Good.”

Silence again.

“You never gave me your phone number,” he said after a minute.

“I know.”

“Can I have it?”

I hesitated a moment before nodding and asking for a sheet of paper. He obliged, handing me a pack of sticky notes, and I quickly scribbled down the digits.

“Thank you.”

“You're welcome.”

Silence again.

“Want to go out for dinner tonight?”

“Are we allowed?”

He shrugged. “This is Amsterdam. Here there's a bit laxer of an employee dating policy.”

“Dating?”

“If you let me pay, I'd consider taking you out to dinner a date, yes.”

Silence.

“This is really weird,” I finally said, running a finger through my bangs. He laughed.

“Yes it is. So, how about it?”

I thought about it. Bit my lip. I wanted to. But I was scared. It was still surreal. Hell, even more so now that we were in Amsterdam. But fuck, I wanted to. I wanted to step right back into those blue eyes.

I nodded. “Sure. What time?”

The tension in the room seemed to let out in one heavy sigh. Graves relaxed, pushing off of his desk. He punched me lightly in the arm as he passed by me through the doorway.

“Five, maybe? We can meet here.”

“Okay,” I nodded.

I lost my breath as Graves picked me up and spun me around, laughing. The world spun and dipped and – melting. Warm. Hot. Soft. Itchy stubble against my cheek.

“You look great, by the way,” he said, lifting me out of his dip.

“Thanks,” I breathed. “You, too.”

Shit.

We quickly walked back to the lobby after that. Graves' little display of affection dissolved into absolute calmness, and he walked with a smooth stride and a light smile. I put my hands in my pockets and put on my own mask, falling into a sheet of blankness.

When we returned a new crowd had entered the lobby. One of these was a tall, red-haired, blue-eyed woman with straight hair that was tied back loosely in a messy bun. She must have been in her early thirties. She wore a simple green blouse and a pair of genes. She had a knowing smile and, apparently, a sharp wit. She turned on Graves, glanced at me, and have a sour little smile.

“You know, Theo, this internship isn't your personal date line,” she smiled. She held out a hand to me to shake. “Hello, Arden. I'm Marion Holmes, your mentor. Ana here has been telling me all about you. Although I might have been asking the wrong person,” she looked over Graves with a knowing look. He patted me on the back, smiled at Marion, and vanished.

“He's not any better to ask,” I said, and in my opinion I was only half lying: Knowing how I wrote and how I was in bed was very different than knowing me personally. Anyways, Graves and I hadn't talked for over half a year. A lot had changed since then.

Thinking about my affections, apparently not enough.

Marion gave me a sly smile. Ana came over and took my hand, smiling. She was truly very cute. Even the tattoos added to it. I didn't understand why she was doing journalism and not modeling.

“God, I'm going to have fun with you two,” Marion gave a sly smile. Then her expression changed to something very professional and she clapped her hands together.

“Anyway, we should get you home and shown around. It's almost one, we shouldn't have to stay around anymore. We really should get going.”

Marion paused and turned as Graves showed up behind her, tapping on her shoulder. She raised an eyebrow in a way that competed with Zoe.

“Just so you know, I get that one,“ he pointed at me, “at five. I wouldn't want her being late.”

Marion gave Graves a steely look. Graves returned with an impish grin. Marion smirked.

“Alright, I'll have her free by five,” Marion said slowly, looking back between Graves and I. She focused again on Graves.

“But you sir,” she whispered with a dangerous smile, “better not hurt one of my girls. If you don't keep it in your pants I'll have you out of the field for another eighteen months, am I clear Theo?”

Graves smiled, nodding. “Of course, Marion. You're clear as crystal.”
♠ ♠ ♠
As always, feel free to critique, comment, edit, or praise! Updates will be frequent, so please subscribe if you like it!

I'll be a bit of a comment whore: I'm trying to get PoG up into the high rankings, so if you like it please help me get it there! Thank you so much!